Honest conversation about pre-prepping and FDA Deeming Regs

I will do I have a Cabela’s and Bass pro thanks @Sprkslfly!

3 Likes

How did this thread go from FDA regulation to flashaholic, what am I missing ?

2 Likes

We are talking about if the regulations get put on everything we need to vape, and what we can do about it by finding the things at stores in our area. Like the batteries we use that are originally for flashlights. I told everyone I have a list of stores within a 40 mile radius of my home that I can buy everything except nicotine and batteries

7 Likes

Yeah, that looks interesting. I can be pretty hard on the world, so the tougher the better.

I do think that when it comes to the long haul, regulated mods are always going to be a dicier proposition, just because of the electronics. I wouldn’t want to switch to mech mods, personally, but if it became really difficult to get mods… well, mechs are pretty simple and durable ones ought to last pretty much forever. I don’t think it’s likely to come to that, though.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting perspective. I would think just the opposite. I was part of a 5/10K clinical trial way back in the 90’s and our entry was much more sophisticated than a mod in terms of electronics. I would think the FDA would be well indoctrinated. Mech mods conversely can be a pipe bomb in the wrong hands. BTW, this is not to debate what the FDA will do, God only knows what goes on in those peoples heads. I don’t pretend to have a prediction.

4 Likes

Ones like the Aegis is something to consider if you are not as careful with your mods or work in an environment where you could easily damage your device - like construction for example.

I hear you. I’m still learning about Mech mods myself and there are some good “beginner” ones like the IJoy Wondervape 270, that was recommended to me. I think it’s always good to learn more about ohm’s law and battery safety but I love regulated mods. Long term, mech mods are definitely the most viable gear for longevity.

6 Likes

I have to agree @Walt3, I’m constantly surprised by the wealth of information that comes out of the ELR membership.

3 Likes

:frowning: Now I feel bad, BUT, I’m glad your willing to risk it @Jenny1978. Sadly I do frequent Cabelas, but for different reasons. I have NO stuffed animals in my house however. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too!!! I thought I was the only one scared of those. Lol

6 Likes

Hehe, @Chrispdx safety in numbers brother…

3 Likes

I have several dead stuffed animals. Well, my dog does, she killed them. It’s the Helter Fluffing Skelter around here.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if you were responding to me, but if so I wasn’t talking about what the FDA might like or not like. I was just talking about what’s easier to keep working indefinitely.

Mech mods are simple, and you can just look at them and understand everything important about how they work. A really well-machined mech ought to keep working indefinitely- I’d worry most about threading issues, but those can be resolved if the mod is built for it.

OTOH, regulated mods inherently rely on their electronics, and if those go wrong there’s not a lot you can do other than buying another board.

3 Likes

Ya, missed the focus of that one. No question mech mods have less to go wrong.

4 Likes

That said, I would be very surprised if the FDA started treating things like DNA boards as “tobacco products.” It’s not impossible, but it seems unlikely to me, and especially unlikely that it would or could be very seriously enforced.

I’m not all that handy with electronics (though I suppose I am comparing myself to co-workers who have graduate degrees in EE and/or deal with integrating things into CNC machining systems that could kill them if they make a wrong move- they are pretty handy.) I do put my own computers together though, etc.

Honestly, putting together a DNA-based mod looks easier than putting together a computer, assuming you can follow a schematic and know how to use a soldering gun. Even if you don’t know how to solder (something I learned to do when I was 8 years old, so it can’t be that difficult) and are unwilling to learn to do so, you almost certainly know someone who not only owns a soldering gun, but would be happy to help you solder something.

7 Likes

Ya, not much there besides two inputs from the batteries and two outputs from the board with optional wiring for external switches.

5 Likes

Yeah, so if something isn’t working right with a mech mod it’s not that difficult to figure out why, right? The entire system literally consists of those inputs and outputs, and basic physics, which doesn’t change very often, if at all. So even if they interact… the cross-product of their interactions is still a very manageable number.

Regulated mods are still subject to the laws of physics, but it turns out that how you ought to interpret them is very different in a regulated mod than it is in mech.

4 Likes

Yeah, if they tried to ban vaping they’d fail, and fail horribly. It’d be almost as impossible to enforce as an alcohol ban just because homebrew is too easy.

I tend to see economic interests as kind in politics tho; when I look at this what I actually see is mish-mash of competing interests obviously, but I’ll tell you this. Reynolds America does not lose. It’s successfully sued entire countries. Sure the people hate them, side-effect of the War on Drugs, but they’re an impossibly large power,a dn they’re legally encouraged to straight-up buy politicians; so they do, with gusto.

I don’t see how the fear and hatred of smoking can win this campaign. Yes the FDA defaulted to anti-vaping, but the more they have to defend that stance the more they find themselves unable to, and the ACS just, well, they’re a really inefficient and (probably) corrupt ‘charity’ – they’ll fight this one blindly, either because they really think they’re right or because there’s a vested interest in, say, Nicorette. . . but they’re still using proven-wrong arguments, and their vaping platform on their website is already two years old.

Yes, popular pressure on these smaller ‘moral’ issues does tend to win out in the end, but the FDA has been very slowly backpedaling on vaping for a long time now, when they started almost from the gate trying to ban them all outright (nicorette, chantix and such comes in here as well). I suspect Big Tobacco is going to beat Big Pharma on this one, unless those companies are willing to be much more open about their opposition than honoraria to researchers that later gets uncovered. Because science actually does matter in this kind of legislation, unless the FDA really wants to set a precedent for banning all addictive compounds (various entities have actually brushed this with soda limits/taxes and such already actually).

Tho it is interesting to think in black and white (and wrong) terms like “Can RJ Reynolds out-muscle Pfizer?” It’s not quite that simple, but it’s an interesting thought to me.

But all that rambling just boils down to: “I can’t see the powers at play here resulting in an e-cig ban, they’re worth too much already, and the growth for this industry is phenomenal.” Pfizer profits on cigarette relapses and sells you a thing with literally death as a side-effect. E-cigs are a replacement and then a hobby, thus infinitely more lucrative. Plus, Reynolds may be preparing for a continuing fall of cigarette users, and it seems possible (tho I’m not gonna stop and research this guess so ignore me if I’m wrong) that we might soon have more people starting vaping as a non-smoker than starting smoking, if we don’t already.

So the current FDA non-policy strikes me as “Let’s see how big this industry can get”.

7 Likes

Honestly I’m tempted to start a juice company just to fuck with them, at this point. There’s no way I could make as much selling juice as I make writing software, but…

Someone needs to challenge this shit.

5 Likes

Pretty much. There are both analog and digital regulated mods. Obviously within each category there’s a wide deviation in methodology used. Some are quite sophisticated e.g. DNA and Yihi. Some pretty impressive processing and I/O control.

5 Likes

Huh- any thoughts on the YiHi SX Q mini?

2 Likes