Honest conversation about pre-prepping and FDA Deeming Regs

Till now they have seemed to be fixated mostly on the liquid nicotine and the flavors. They are the easiest targets to justify with the least usage outside vaping. Obviously vaping dedicated hardware is under siege as well but with the lame tangent that they could be used with nicotine and possibly dangerous flavor additives. I guess I simply don’t to spend a lot of time on worry. I’ll watch and listen, but there are too many things I enjoy doing to devote a lot of time to worry.

4 Likes

You are very correct, but that’s kinda what this conversation was about what can we do if the FDA regulations tax or regulate the things we need. Just like nicotine can’t be flown during delivery what if they regulate everything we need to the extent we can’t aquire them via the internet, so I’ve built a list of stores in a 40 mile radius of my home where I can obtain everything but liquid nicotine and the batteries to run the mods I have now. This discussion is what makes our ELR community so freaking great just a bunch of random people sharing knowledge and insight.

4 Likes

R1132h Tony_the_tiger
It’s possible. Several laser designators or high discharge green and red flood lights use them. I’m surprised the 18650 aren’t used more because they are so good plus rechargeable. Could check online.

:grinning: The Tesla pack claims 53kWh. A 3100mAh 18650 contains about (3.100A x 3.7V nominal) = 11.5Wh = a minimum of 4608 of them. The Chey Volt has about 8,000 of them. Your LapTop computer has about a dozen of them on average.

Sorry to report: 18650s were not made for the vaping industry :grinning: So no worries mate, they will be around for long time to come…

4 Likes

Amen brother

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to get into a battery war but just stating that the batteries we mostly use for vaping are used in many other applications as you stated.

4 Likes

It’s ok! The elephant will be sad if I go or not! LOL :joy:

Sorry for interrupting a serious conversation with silliness! I am not trying to make light of how serious the situation is.

Am I wrong in thinking that the latest news gives us hope for much better results as well as a much longer period of time to prepare for the worst possible scenario?

4 Likes

Same here!!! It’s like a stuffed animal massacre!

1 Like

I don’t think you’re wrong that it’s at the very least a good sign for the near future.

I do worry that a lot of the career bureaucrats at the FDA are not on the same page as Gottlieb, and that in the long run that might tell. But yeah, I think it’s pretty good news all the same.

2 Likes

Like I say together we can put the screws to the big box guys ( big tobacco)

1 Like

I’ve had images of the Paranormal and VT250 dancing in my head for weeks now. Really love both mods but the Paranormal is only 75 Watts and the VT250 is the old button combination menu system and bulky. I have so many atties that naturally fall around .2 to .25 ohms that 75 watts is just under powered. I have went as far as putting the VT250 in a couple of carts. Per this conversation, I did some snooping and also found the Q at this price. My next mod will be another one of these. It makes the most sense.

2 Likes

The hell are you talking about? I think you replied to the wrong post. I see Big Tobacco (specifically Reynolds) as being on the pro-vaping side of things, and their money agrees with me.

Now, you may not want Reynolds or any of them to get very involved in e-cigs as time goes on, and that I can only say “We’re a county (world?) of monopolies and oligopolies and total plutocracy. . .someone is going to end up king of the hill.” It doesn’t matter if it’s RJ Reynolds or some Chinese company I’ve never heard of. Almost every ‘employee’ will be a sweat-shop worker/slave, the market will exist solely to make money, and there will be a sizeable homebrew community. Unless the world changes dramatically in like, 10 years or something.

Shit, almost all the gear I’ve seen/heard of is made in China – the local stuff from small companies tends to say stuff like “Designed in California”. . .which is just an actual joke, I laughed my ass off the first time I saw that years back, and it works kickass in the vaping market because. . .we just don’t have factories in the US can manufacture chipsets at anything like a reasonable price, even if you account for fair wages on the same thing made in China, it would still be cheaper. And even something like machining metal for atties – The US is not a country of factories. Everything will end up overseas even if the ‘company’ is three dudes and former skate-shop.

What was this about? Oh yeah – I have no qualms with Reynolds when it comes to vaping, and no more qualms with them than literally any other corporation, period, literally, there is not one exception that is a company I find less reprehensible than RJ Reynolds, literally not a single damn one.

I hope that’s clear.

Now, you wanna sing “Down with Corporatism!” to me, then maybe we can agree on something. Otherwise, agree to disagree.

There’s 2 ways that I look at this. There’s the good, and the bad.

The good: This gives all of us more time to prepare, it gives our beloved companies to get within a minimal compliance with the FDA before the regulations are stuffed down their throats causing them to go out of business. It gives us more time to stockpile ingredients, mods, attys, etc. And it gives more time to collect more clinical data trending towards a healthier future by vaping instead of smoking.

The bad: It gives more time for people to have mishaps with exploding batteries, more people to obtain nicotine poisoning from mishandling their ingredients, or in a dramatic turn of events vaping deaths start to happen because there is some crazy chemical reaction that happens when all of these ingredients are heated that none of us are aware of yet. More states or cities follow what Utah and San Francisco have done, and put their own misguided laws into play.

I’d tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to government making decisions “for a healthier life”. As we’ve seen how well it has worked in the past. :unamused:

I know I’ll be stocking up on Nicotine Base, Mods, and Attys. I don’t think that Batteries, flavorings, VG, or PG will be going anywhere. And I honestly don’t think that Nic, Mods, or Attys will become unattainable. But I do see the price of said items getting much higher.

Of course I could be WAY off on my thoughts, I’ve been wrong many times before. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

May not have the batteries you actually want but look at your local Walmart. 18650’s are very common and readily available without going the route of the internet.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=18650%20rechargeable%20battery&typeahead=18650

4 Likes

Well if you’re right and big tobacco is pro vape then I’m wrong, but I
believe that big tobacco (big box guys) is the funding force in the
collapse of the diy vaping industry or hobby as some would say. But to say
I commented on the wrong post is nonsense when in your comment you stated
Reynolds doesn’t lose and are encouraged to pay off politicians. Which is
why I said what I said and until I see proof showing otherwise I’ll believe
that big tobacco is particularly to blame for the regulations that we may
soon be facing. If I misunderstood what you said then that’s my fault but
there no need in responding like that. No I’m not saying down with corporatism just to put the screws to them and show them that just because they are who they are doesn’t mean they can control everything.

1 Like

@wvsanta, thank you very much I’ll see what I can find. I’ve also been flirting around with taking apart bigger batteries to see if they are actually smaller batteries in a series that can be taken apart and used individually. Kinda like those big old flashlight batteries with the springs on top that are actually a bunch of D batteries in a series.

2 Likes

It’s really difficult to say what direction any of this will go. I just ran across an article stating that synthetic nicotine costs 13x more to make as the natural extract. With the war on stinkys still raging, tobacco manufacturers just may see a plan B in vaping. I don’t pretend to know but like so many others I enjoy the muse of “what will be”.

4 Likes

Laptop batteries are banks of 18650 no idea on the brand or the amp rating so i would possibly avoid until you know exactly what they are.

3 Likes

Thanks I thought about hobby type rc car batteries also. And your right I won’t be messing with them until I have no other choice.

1 Like

If you’re looking for an affordable mechanical squonk box, then you may like the one coming out from Wotofo “Wotofo RAM”. It’s only $51.99. It’s on pre-order right now. I’m waiting for it to be released and for some reviews to come out on it first, however from the conversations in Zoom - everyone has noted that the internals look awesome. Not only that it comes in Resin & Wood.

5 Likes

Another product that uses the YiHi chipset that is like the G Class but an affordable version is the Pioneer4you iPV Eclipse. Pretty solid reviews across the board. The lowest price I’ve found it was from EFunTop for $49.99.

2 Likes