If I were to start building

I started building coils for 6 months now, but not too much. i only build exclusively and stop buying for the past month, and i use only a voopoo drag, which is a TC mod.

i started with simple coiling, playing around with 5 to 7 rounds at 2,5 - 3,5 mm, whichever i liked to built at the moment to get the hang of it, learn more and minimize my loss, and only for the past week i started to try coiling clapton coils.

Wahatever you choose to try, i hope you have fun.

4 Likes

May I ask how you chose a specific ohm?
I may be getting th ss 316L 26g.
What are the deciding factors for what resistance one wants?
How does one know if they want a resistance of 2 ohms or .20 ohms?
I know thereā€™s a huge difference between them, but that is precisely my point. I understand that lower requires more watts and heat. But I want to know: Are there a number of factors I must take into consideration before deciding what ohms resistance I want?

2 Likes

Yes! Mentors please hurry in.

i waited :rofl:

1 Like

1f665ece75cc5a82105e8759c6d0f76a

5 Likes

think once u read up on why/how it works then u be answering your own questions.

1 Like

Do you vape at a certain resistance now? I run 24g, 316L, 3.5mm .2 ohm dual coils around 75 watts for most of my vapes. I settled on this because of the temp i like these flavorings at and SS wire heats up super quick compared to kanthal. If i wanted to run at a higher ohm i would choose a thinner wire, inner coil diameter, power level that would get me to this sweet spot of mine.

Lots of trial and error.

5 Likes

Trust me, I have read too many threads. I spent many hours during the past few days reading threads on ELR and other sites. Sometimes the posts get off topic :tired_face:. Maybe reading too much confused me? Or it might be that English isnā€™t my 1st language so a few things I read would go over my head or misunderstand them. :thinking:
Anyways, thank you all for bearing with me here. Very helpful community.

4 Likes

Iā€™m building on a Boreas v2.

I donā€™t really shoot for a particular ohm for my coils, I just try to get above .2 so it doesnā€™t draw so many amps from my batteries, when your on a regulated device ohms donā€™t matter as far as how your end vape turns out, a .5 ohm coil can run at a higher wattage than a .2 ohm coil depending on the wire you use. My suggestion is go to steam engine, go to the coil wrapping calculator, and at the very bottom it will tell you something called heat-flux. This is your new best friend. Changing the heat flux from 200 to 350 will give you different wattages you can run your coil at, use that to figure out how to build to the wattage you normally vape at and play with it from there. It will probably take you longer to learn proper wicking and coil placement than it will take for you to figure out where you like a simple round wire build at. Good luck!

3 Likes

Well Im really not the the one to give adviseā€¦ there are many here who can help you out for sure as they did me. With that said, I will addI started with coils that came with my mods and learned from there what I liked and didnt. Personally I like higher watts so that pointed me in my directionā€¦ in addition to that, I use WR mod so that lead me in another direction. I guess what I am saying is if you found a mod you enjoy, then you already have a guidline of what you can useā€¦ now its just trial and error to see what fits for you

3 Likes

I agree hereā€¦ sometimes you have to STOP reading and just ask for guidance. I read way too much and can overthink details and make things harder than what they areā€¦ ask away here and hopefully @TW12 or @Skullblade789 , or others that have been responding with good info in this thread will help ya out

2 Likes

I played with it a bit.

Wrap counts is 9.62. This is per coil if Iā€™m doing 2 coils. Not divided by 2. Did I get that right.

1 Like

That would be per coil, so when you use two coils ohms get cut in half, you may want to try running one to see how you like it and to simplify things. So for two coils you will wind up at .36-.37

3 Likes

Unless it is a series deck. Then it is doubled.

3 Likes

Your right, those just are not as common as a parallel deck.

2 Likes

I know, just throwing in some advice.

2 Likes

And I appreciate it, I honestly forgot about them.

1 Like

I have 2 of them. Still like them.

1 Like

I have one that can go both ways, just havenā€™t used it in series.

1 Like