Just wanting some feedback here

Is it just me thinking like this, but I’ve been making some horrible recipes that were five stared. Upon looking further into it I’ve noticed people rate their own recipies, not just the ones they like the most but every single one they make public. I know I did on one or two of mine but it was for my reference to know which of mine were my adv. To me it’s kinda of like giving yourself a high five or liking your own post on facebook. Just seems like it’s up to the other diy people to rate. Just my thoughts. How about you guys?

I rate my own recipes according to how much i like them for reference to myself and to others. I dont post unfinished recipes very often in fact almost never. Not all of my recipes earned a 5* in my book, i posted them to see what others might do with them.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed this too, and wondered were people doing it to draw other’s attention to it, in hopes of getting more hits? Or was it personal rating system? Because if so, all their juices must be amazing - all 5 stars with that one vote :smiley:

1 Like

This has been discussed. The general consensus is you should be allowed to rate your own recipes and most of us do. Sure, not everyone is going to be super honest about their own juice, but you start to get a feel for people and the way they mix after awhile. I know for a fact I could mix a juice from just about anyone I follow and I would like it. I rate my own recipes not only so I can keep track of what I like, but so I can let other people know what I think of what I made. Very few of the ones I’ve made have gotten a 5 star rating from me. And of those, I went back and changed several after I got better at mixing.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the rating system (i.e. sorting by ratings) isn’t as simple as all recipes with 5 stars at the top. It takes into account number of ratings as well as comments, I believe.

5 Likes

I dont know about everyone doing this but when this forum first started there was a post where the consensus was we should rate our recipes.

Just keep in mind not everyone perceives the same flavor in the same way.

4 Likes

I belive it’s to draw people to it @Cagey75. That’s why there is a note section for the creator… I say let the ones that try it vote. If we keep allowing people to do this where will we end up. A pointless system you can’t rely on because soon people will catch on and every single recipe on this sight will be 5 stars, then there goes the relevance of a ranking system

You only get one vote. After that the value of your vote is weighted less. There are no prizes on the line. So, not sure why it’s a big deal? I like the fact that death can tell me if he liked a recipe he made without having to make it first. If I don’t like it as well I get a rating and comment to balance it out.

Don’t get hung up on the competition aspect of a star. Try some of the five star recipes and rate and comment whether you like them or not. You’ll find it all balances out.

1 Like

It’s not a big deal @Big_Benny_MI . Id prefer just to read the creators notes and find out how they like it. It’s definitely not a compatition on my end. All I’m saying, it’s becoming a norm for people to post and add a 5 star ranking. I know we have great mixers here on this site, but I highly doubt all 50 of someone’s recipes are 5 star worthy. People will catch on and the far right column will soon be filled with yellow…

Compared to some that I’ve tasted that had a multiple 5 star rating, I have no problem rating mine with 5 stars. It clearly show how many people rated them anyway. So if you feel the tail is wagging the dog, just overlook the recipe. If a recipe have no rating I skip over it.

1 Like

But what if it’s a great recipe and the guy is just modest? Some people are still like that and don’t high five themselves

And if you go to the main site and sort by rating that gets them all the way to page 72 behind the 3 1/2 star recipes with 3 votes. That first vote doesn’t really carry all that much weight. It really does balance out in the end. Just need more people actually rating other peoples recipes that they make. Here’s a clip from page 72 after sorting. I tend to only make recipes that have more than one vote. If I find a mixer that I like I might make some of his one vote five star recipes though.

2 Likes

I see. We definitely need more people voting, and I will most definitely and soon as steeping is over and I can give a honest feedback

2 Likes

Some people will not make a recipe public until they feel it is a five star mix.Some will post a recipe before they even mix it , of course we all hope they haven’t rated it yet!:grinning:
I do it a little differently if it is public and if I rated it as five stars it means I am happy and will not be making any changes to it.If it is public but not rated it means I like it but it is still a W.I.P. or work in progress that I am trying to make better.
I agree with what Big Benny posted and I tend to check out the highest rated recipes first.You can click on the rating tab on the main site and it will show the highest rated recipes with all flavors.You can also click on a flavor and click on recipe and it will show all recipes that include that flavor.If you click on rating again it will show the highest rated recipes with that flavor.I don’t know if you have yet played with that feature but it is very useful.
I think you will find the recipe side very easy to navigate and use after you get used to it.

2 Likes

Exactly, it is more about the mixer than the rating. If you recognize a mixer as someone knowledgeable then their personal rating should carry some weight to it. Personally i am past the point of needed the rating system to tell if a recipe will be good ad i have been doing this quite a while now and recognize flavorings and %'s.

I have several mixes i rated less than 5 stars but the ones i rated 5 stars are or have been in my ADV rotation for a long while.

3 Likes

Right on, nothing beats experience!:trophy:
Some people mix to save money and make a juice that is vapeable to stay off the Camels .Some mix to become rich and famous by selling their elixirs to the masses.Others want to make a vapinary masterpiece that will make their body orgasm due to adding the last of nineteen ingredients ,usually a light floral note at .02%.:herb: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You will find all styles here , that is what is so great about ELR.It doesn’t take long to gravitate towards mixers that share the same tastes.:dancers:
Like you mentioned,I am just now starting to be able to look at a recipe and have a pretty good idea if it is something I should like or not.The only time the rating system comes into play is when trying a new to me flavor.:scream_cat:
Being still new to mixing , I have several flavors that I haven’t mixed with yet.We use a drop test and hope for the best .Next we grab a recipe and give it a go.Most times I agree with how it has been rated but sometimes I don’t.I am not going to give someone a one star vote because our tastes aren’t the same.I gain knowledge when a mix is bad as well as when it’s good and that is what it is all about.:confetti_ball:
The star/stars on a recipe only matter if your the one that put it there.:wink:

5 Likes

ROFL! I will be laughing about that all night!

That is the perfect attitude to have when it comes to DIY. I have a couple hundred recipes that are decent to pretty good, i just dont post them. I should just to see what people can come up with but for some reason i do not feel that they are worthy to post. Some of them inspired recipes that i have posted and some of them i save to work on at a later date. But ALL of them have taught me something and on each one i have notes that i have taken on the mix. Sadly this was all done in notebooks and will most likely never see the site because lazy…

3 Likes

Personally i feel that if one is going to rate a recipe they should at the very least have to comment on it. I have seen so many recipes 1 stared and not a single person even bothered to leaves tips, advice or even say why they didnt like it. Personally i find this unacceptable as it is oft abused. I could link several accounts that rate their own recipes 5*s and go around 1 staring dozens of recipes, some of these recipes are very good, and yet not a single comment by them to be found.

So really it goes both ways, if there is a system you can bet it will be abused by someone.

3 Likes

I don’t see any easy way to fix anything when it comes to dealing with people.The only reason to rate a recipe with one star is either stupidity or just being a dick.
Example , you purchased 4 ounces of Caps Vanilla Custard V2 and you don’t understand why your custards suck.Still you are determined to use it so you downgrade every recipe you try it in.That is almost as bad as the ones who think everything is a shake and vape! Mix them and rate them in the span of 15 minutes.
Then you just have the ones who hate on any recipe published by fill_in_the_blank!
I don’t see any way to stop stupidity or meanness.
I see nothing wrong with having to comment before your vote is counted.I comment on all I have made (BIG IF) I rated it.
People like me are part of the problem as well.I am sure I am not the only one who has made someones recipe and thought damn ,what’s all the hype about? When that happens I never rate it or leave a comment.If someone ask me what I think I will give them my honest opinion but I ain’t going to bash someone over a recipe.Just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean that it isn’t good.

3 Likes

I agree. I just find it a bit ridiculous that the rating system is turned into a pecker hangin contest by a few people. When one of my recipes gets a good rating i am proud that someone was able to enjoy it, not prideful because of the rating itself.

I said in another post that it is easy to make a mix that i like, i know what i like. It is much more difficult to make something that will appeal to many. I too have mixed up some other peoples mixes and thought, “WTF”. I just didnt leave a rating so i am guilty of not leaving feedback as well.

2 Likes

I’m the same way, when I don’t like something I will not rate it low either, some vapes are just not for my pallet. I get that. The other point is I believe some just want to be website famous for what ever reason who knows, I’m definitely not the one to judge. Easy solution … take out the stars “ranking” system and have options to list by popularity…ex how many recipe page visits plus number of comments, how many people are talking about this etc… this would get people talking more and give us something more to go on “feedback!” So many great ones out there and nobody has said a word, hey I like this…I steeped this for x amount of days. But you guys are right some people are just rude and mean.

2 Likes