Kumbaya ELR

I can’t even BEGIN to drop all the names of people here who have helped out, inspired, and much much more, so I won’t even try. @ 10 name drops per post, it would take a while. Like many others getting into DIY I surfed around, spent a lot of time on ECF, Reddit, ATF, and more. Some good people, some good tips/help, but there was not a great VIBE that made it stick. What’s a VIBE ?? It’s something that when you DON’T have it, you can’t always put your finger on it, BUT your are left WANTING (i.e searching), but when you HAVE it, the search is OVER. I cannot even remember what random giggle search popped me up here, probably a recipe, which tossed me on the recipe side (forums, WHAT forums ?). Start clicking around, FOUND the forums, and started lurking. “Hmmmm, seems like a pretty cool crowd here, doing what I WANT to do, no flamers, no bashing, no bot moderation, … hmmmmmm, let me add it to my bookmarks and check back later”. Come back, same same, maybe time to make a post, and rinse and repeat.

I’m assuming many of you had the same experience out there on the WWW, lotta stuff out there, but just not quite the right VIBE to make you set up camp. As I said, just TOO damned many good people, mixers, friends here to list. There isn’t time, I’d never remember all, and forget someone. As best as I can remember, @TheTinMan was the first to figure out I wasn’t a total jackass, and we started talking. Everything happened following, as it should.

I’ve done props to ELR, and props to the ladies of ELR threads before, so this is no different. Nothing has changed, some more new faces, new mods, and @JoJo STILL hasn’t banned me yet, so that’s a good thing.

Rather than thank the few, thanks out to ALL of ELR.

P.S. Yes, I actually DO play the drums, and YES, I have a Steam Crave problem…

13 Likes

That’s all I ask. I know thank you’s are nice, but this isn’t just a thank you thread. You nailed it tho!! :slight_smile:

@Josephine_van_Rijn has been here from the start and never ceases to amaze me how very tirelessly helpful one person can be.

11 Likes

I can’t do this because it would take forever. I honestly feel a bond to all of you. One of the reasons I come here is that my job requires me to maintain a professional attitude when dealing with heavy amounts of emotional highs and lows and the ELR forum is a daily release of what’s been held back throughout the day. I hope this makes some sense, but probably not.
If I have to spotlight anyone as per the OP’s request, I have to go back in time and mention two people in particular because they helped me when I didn’t have a clue other than twisting a plastic clearomizer into an ego battery and sucking down tobacco shop juice: @SthrnMixer and @ringling. Thanks for showing me the rabbit hole.

8 Likes

It’s my pleasure.
Bob

4 Likes

How about @BoDarc. Funny guy! Always dropping some good reads.

9 Likes

Thank You so much @tartarusspawn. That is very much appreciated! As was your advice/pep talk for a new moderator!

@Nappen is always very kind and supportive and helped me get through a devastating event. He even got me to laugh and smile! Thank you, friend!

@JMak642 who is mainly responsible for a lot of the friends I have made since I first talked to him on Discord! And has also taught me so much! Thank you for that!

@Cutlass92 and @Molly_Mcghee for being so encouraging of me being a new Moderator. I appreciate it very much!

@Jazzy_girl who is always filled with positivity and has such a wonderful personality! I love talking with her!

@zerohimself who gets so funny and silly on voice chat about the same time I do in the late hours when we are each working on projects. The comic relief is always needed!

12 Likes

I love everyone…who’s next? Anyone but @Steampugs please!:kissing_heart:
I couldn’t begin to name all the people that have helped me in this journey.
I will name a few that really went out of their way to help with a mix or just be a friend.
@Amy2 @Beaufort_Batches @MysticRose @Alisa @Ken_O_Where Thank all of you for sharing a recipe, flavor notes and tips to help get me headed in the right direction.So many more that I left out.Why exactly do we need a 10 name limit?:crazy_face:
@Whiterose0818 Thank you for just being you brother , you are simply awesome!
@Lolly you have a kind and beautiful soul! I couldn’t begin to put my thoughts into words so I will simply say Thank You!:kissing_heart:
@MisterSinner You always inspire me to try and become a better person.Thank you my friend!
@JoJo You are awesome , you know exactly when to pick me up and when to put me in my place.Did I mention that you are Awesome! Can I please post the My Amazing Horse video in this thread? Please?:hugs: a much better tune to have stuck in ones head than Kumbaya :crazy_face:

20 Likes

well now you’ve forced me to write an obnoxious and conpletely self promoting post just to balance out your post …
I’d like to thank @Steampugs because without him…I literally wouldn’t exist …top bloke…one of the best actually…tends to smell a bit funky on warmer days but…apart from that…I can’t like him enough… :smiling_imp::fu:

14 Likes

You’re completely nuts! :laughing:

Hey, that qualifies as saying something nice, yes?

12 Likes

i’ll take it :grin:🖒

7 Likes

Yeah, but you didn’t tag him so it doesn’t count :grinning:

6 Likes

Touche!

@Laberythm is composing a reply. I bet it’s awesome.

6 Likes

We’ve scared @Laberythm away :flushed:. Come back petal!

6 Likes

Hahahahah I was on the google translate!
Here is my reply:
I am sorry to not giving specific tags/names, it is my English that make it hard to say why. More or less almost every Veteran have help me with one or another way. Good questions and sugestions from new members have help me too. Questions that I didn’t have before. Anyway love you all, wish you all to have a good road trip on this ‘‘highway’’ we call it ELR HOME. Very good thread @SthrnMixer thanks for the opertunite to participate!

13 Likes

You have broken a serious rule here, veteran should be lower case v not V :crazy_face:

8 Likes

2 serious rules…
he didn’t thank me either…
I mean what’s that all about…:thinking:

8 Likes

Its OK though…I think @JoJo is about to post a long heart felt well thought out post about just how much she’d like to thank me…
5MmwN

11 Likes

Is this the “tastes just like raisins” amazing horse song you refer to? Cuz that was one of my favorites back in the day. I still get it stuck in my head sometimes. There was a website back in the early 2000s that had all sorts of animations and stuff on it. It was like the meme-hub of the day. I remember this one, the Charlie the Unicorn ones. Man those were the days… :rofl:

Fair warning…the thread title is Kumbaya and I’m about to take that to a new level. LOL

So, I’ve been tagged lots and I wanna let anyone who took the time to tag me know how much it meant to me. In case you haven’t noticed, it’s been a rough few days. It’s been hectic and frustrating and terrifying and nerve-wracking and I’ve spent most of it on the verge of tears. I’ve been yelled at and cussed at and backhandedly told I’m doing everything wrong. But there have been some really sweet, heartfelt moments and times of brightness and laughter in all of this that have reminded me why I’m here and why I do this. Because I love you guys and I love being a member of this family. Old members, new members, re-new members…even if we don’t really know each other or you flat out hate me…I love you because you are part of this family. And in the end, whether we always agree with each other and get along or not, it is the collection of all of us together that makes and will continue to shape ELR.

On top of saying I love all of you, I want to especially say how great the new mods are. Their introduction to this has been rocky to say the least. But they’ve stuck around and are weathering the storm amazingly. I think that speaks volumes to their commitment to all of us and to our “home” here.

@Jenny1978 you let me spill my guts to you even though we barely know each other and you’ve already got a tremendous amount of stuff on your plate. You never once complained or walked away or told me it was too much. You have been nothing but crazy kind and supportive, and your friendship in the short time we’ve known each other has meant the world to me.

@Silhouette I don’t know you that well yet, but I’m really looking forward to changing that. You reached out in a critical moment last night and it made all the difference to me. I don’t know that I could even put into words what I was feeling and how what you said changed everything in that moment.

@Alisa we’ve been here together since the beginning and you’ve watched all the changes ELR has made, for better or worse, and you’ve never complained or chosen a “side”. You’ve remained steadfastly helpful and kind to everyone equally. Although, I’m still a little bitter you won the Provari and I didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously, though, you’re an amazing mixer and I’ve learned so much from you.

@woftam I’ve enjoyed our chats on Discord and it’s been so fun getting to know you. I’ve loved learning more about Australia through you (especially drop bears and shoe trees!), even though I maintain that everything in Australia wants to kill (everything) me. :crazy_face: You are an amazing dad and your kids are super lucky to have you. I’m a little bit jealous of them. :wink:

@Ken_O_Where your help has been amazing, your experience a godsend, and your support invaluable. More than that, though, your sense of humor, your heart, and your camaraderie have often been the only thing that’s kept me halfway sane. I don’t think I’d have lasted this long without you.

And finally @daath…where do I start? I don’t know what it was that you saw in me that made you choose me as a moderator, but whatever it was I am as flattered today as I was the day you asked. I know I’ve not always done the right thing or made the wisest decision possible, but you’ve always stood by me and supported it. You have truly changed my life. I’m gonna wax slightly poetic here, and to many it would seem crazy to say all of this to someone I’ve never met, but I have learned so much more than just mixing by being here. Tolerance and patience aren’t things I thought I struggled with, but I’ve learned new depths of both. :laughing: Before this, I would never have picked myself as being the type to have any kind of leadership potential or people skills whatsoever. I came into this having never worked a “real” job, never moderated anything, and having no experience in anything of this sort. I saw myself as passive and my greatest potential strength as being able to follow orders. The knowledge I’ve gained has taught me to be confident and assertive when necessary, to manage a crisis calmly, to negotiate fairly, to navigate and resolve conflicts, to always look for the best in people, to communicate effectively even when I disagree, to accept that I cannot please everyone all the time, to admit when I am wrong, to make a decision and stick to it, to listen hard for the motives behind the words, the list goes on. I’m still far from mastering them, but these are lessons that will stay with me throughout my entire life and will likely have more impact on my future than anything I’ve learned in school the past five years. You have given me this gift and there are not enough words in either of our languages to say how humbled, honored, and grateful I am.

23 Likes

Hey, you got it half right at least! :rofl:

7 Likes

‘heart felt’ right?..

damnnn…nothing…wow…I really don’t know how to feel about that…

I gave you ‘Carry On’ and everything :cry:

6 Likes