Low Carb/Paleo Anyone?

interesting way to cut an avocado - https://www.facebook.com/ditchthecarbs/videos/1036364036464220/

I have a tool I got at kroger that works great cutting it around the length, then pull the pit if I am eating the whole thing and slice up the insides. With the price of avocado right now I have switched from buying smalls and eating the whole thing to buying the larger sized ones and eating half per meal/day. Pro tip to save a half an avo: leave the pit in the half you save, spray a little pam evoo or coco on it and wrap tight in saran wrap and toss in the fridge. I keep all my avo in the fridge to slow the ripening since I prefer them a bit more ripe than most people do.

1 Like

Interesting! I usually quarter mine and then pull them away from the pit and peel the skin off. Works great! I found avocados for $1 each the other dayā€¦ I was so freaking pumped!!!

1 Like

Oh and while Iā€™m here, guess what!!! As of this morning Iā€™m down 50lbs since thanksgiving!! :tada:

4 Likes

a month or two ago the smalls were on sale here for 58c for a whole monthā€¦ now $1.88 eachā€¦ :rage: or a couple dimes more for larger organics

Yikesā€¦ :confused:

I donā€™t see my specific tool in here on the first page but I imagine most do similar tasks - https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=avocado+tool&sprefix=avocado+t%2Caps%2C140&crid=2NG3FK9MG82PV

edit - this is the one I have actually - https://smile.amazon.com/Zyliss-12550-ZYLISS-Avocado-Tool/dp/B00421ATN6/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1493343267&sr=8-21&keywords=avocado+tool

1 Like

Oh cool, that looks nice!

1 Like

So my first experiment with miracle noodles wasnā€™t horrible. Theyā€™re definitely different; theyā€™re a little bit slimy and rubbery and the smell is super fishy when you first open them, but if you can get past that theyā€™re a decent replacement for pasta.

I bought the variety pack that comes with two angel hair, two rice, and two fettuccini off Amazon, and tried the fettuccini style today.

I did what most places online suggested. I rinsed them with cold water, boiled them for two minutes, and rinsed them again to get rid of the smell. I put them together with some butter, chicken, and a cube of bouillon back in the pan and fried them for about 10 minutes to make them more al dente style. I drained off as much of the water as I could about halfway through. Then I tossed some alfredo sauce in with them and cooked for another minute or so moreā€”just enough to heat the sauce. Then sprinkled with parmesan and pepper.

Worst bit? Probably the smell when you first open them and the fact that the packs are pretty small. Best bit? Close enough to real pasta that I donā€™t feel deprived anymore.

The way I did it today, a single pack was really only enough for one person. Eating that much fiber all at once might have some negative consequences later, but Iā€™m hopeful that Iā€™m used to it enough from all the chia and flax I eat. I doubt Iā€™ll eat a whole pack at one meal again, though. Iā€™ll report back. :wink:

Not too shabby, and Iā€™ll definitely eat them again. Iā€™m gonna try doing a peanut sauce and shredded carrots with the angel hair style. I think the best use would be eating them with a ton of veggies and protein or mixing them into homemade soups.

Lastly, if you decide to try them, be careful if youā€™re on any serious medication or are being treated for diabetes. Not totally sure of all the details, but something about the way the soluble fiber absorbs stuff may interfere with medications (making them less effective) and could cause blood sugar to drop too low.

2 Likes

Thought Iā€™d drop this here:

I made these yesterday and it was honestly the best low carb bread Iā€™ve ever tasted! I used all almond flour. I used some for making mini pizzas for myself and they were amazing.

2 Likes

@Walt_RealFlavors Get a dehydrator use fresh (home grown if possible) fruit dry till texture of jerky or there abouts Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cranberries* All work well. You can then cut the little dry fruits in half and roll your celery with PB in the dry fruit. Better than most candy bars.
*No sugar or syrup or anything on the cranberries, but if you want to throw wrench in the works, after putting the cranberries on it sprinkles a very and I mean very small amount of a good natural mineral or sea salt on it. The salt counters the sour/bitter of the cranberries and changes the whole taste of it.

Iā€™m not trying to act or sound like I know everything but that pick of Wifey and I was at pretty close to my lowest after gastric bypass surger and a weight loss of 252 lbs. Iā€™ve lived on diets my whole life it seems and picked up a lot of tricks tips and cheats along the way.

Iā€™ve made those, too! Theyā€™re pretty good. The dough was a little hard to work at first cuz it was soooo sticky, but it got more doughy eventually.

I gotta admit I slacked off a lot over the summer. I wound up gaining like 10lbs. :frowning: I didnā€™t go back to totally carby eating, still mostly just low carb tortillas and low carb bread, but I was eating more of that stuff than I knew I should. But, I got a George Foreman grill and new motivation (sister is getting married in November and I wanna fit in my bridesmaid dress better :wink: ). Grilled meat and veggies and salads have become staples and the bread and tortillas have become very occasional treats.

I need to start making more fathead dough. I tried doing the cloud bread, it came out like it was supposed to and it was okay, but it was a little too flimsy and eggy for me. The bagels were really good though and thatā€™d give me something to take to school thatā€™s quick and easy to eat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made the dough in the food processor and then stuck it straight into the freezer while the oven preheated. That really helped the stickiness to calm down a bit.

Congrats on your fresh motivation! :wink: Good luck!

1 Like

Iā€™m making birthday cheesecake and I just sampled a bit from the bowl. Holy cow the rf sc vc puts it over the top!!!

No Bake Cheesecake Filling

2 packages (16 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup (4 oz/ 118 g) heavy whipping cream
4 grams of splenda
6 grams erythritol
2 grams stevia
0.5 grams Real Flavors (SC) Vanilla Custard

With an electric beater, mix the cream cheese, sweeteners, and vanilla custard extract together. In a separate bowl whip heavy cream until very stiff. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture 1/3 at a time. Chill in the fridge overnight.

The cheesecake filling alone is about 22 net carbs for the entire recipe.
I spread the cheesecake filling over a sugar free chocolate torte and am going to top it with 86% cacao ghirardelli ganache. That will make 12 servings at about 7 net carbs per serving (which IMO is perfectly acceptable for a birthday! :wink: ).

@Walt_RealFlavors you should try this!! :wink:

3 Likes

With Halo Top birthday cake ice cream. Ooooh yeeesssssssss.

5 Likes

Happy Bday.

1 Like

Thanks Skull!

Yummy!! And happy birthday!! :balloon: :champagne: :tada: :confetti_ball: :birthday:

1 Like

Thank you!!

That looks yummy!!! Happy birthday!!!

1 Like

Thanks! It was so good. Iā€™m thinking about having some for breakfastā€¦lol

1 Like