Magnetic stirring for the unfamiliar

Same one I use. Yes, it can handle mixes up to 80% VG (I usually only mix max VG when possible, unless specifically requested otherwise, or my recipe calls for a flavor heavy mix with PG base.)
Just remember, it won’t make a vortex, but that doesn’t mean it’s not mixing.
It will mix 1000ml of max VG. Just start at 0 rpm and ramp up SLOWLY.

1 Like

hello there…
just wanted to ask… MOST people talking about magnetic stirrers or using them re making batches of like 100-200ml… i was just wondering how homemade stirrers or cheap bought ones could work on large batches (like 500ml or higher) of high vg… or what is needed to do so? a stirrer could help a lot better than shaking the bottles…

I am vaping too many mls every day and anyway, 100ml for me could be for like 3-4 days max… so i am usually making batches like 500ml or higher… you can understand that my mixing method after it is shaking the bottles :stuck_out_tongue: i tried once a home made magnetic stirrer but no good… the magnetic bar inside a batch of 400ml of 70/30 (vg/pg) juice didn’t even started moving… any ideas please?

1 Like

4 Likes

If you warm water bath prior to stirring or use a hotplate stirrer it will stir a lot easier - I heat to about 50 c (dont go much higher than this) and can stir 500ml depending on your stirrer.

Hope that helps

thank you for your reply sir :slight_smile:

could i get advantage of your kindness and ask please for some more info?
what stirrer are you using? what magnets to use? or if you or someone else could suggest me to buy a good and affordable one for this job? unfortunately i checked here if i could buy one but the cost goes like over 300euros from the ones i found… they’re mostly professional for labs etc… on the other hand i have no clue what magnets, motor, or power supply i could use for making one that will work for large batches :frowning:

thank you very much again sir :slight_smile:

The key to getting a stirrer for juice is getting one with good magnets - I believe that this is expressed as as an SH- # the the # is a number the higher it is the stronger the stirrer (I am not 100% sure of that and will gladly be corrected if I am wrong). The hotplate stirrer i have is sh-3 the non hotplate stirrer i have is sh-2.

Since I am in Au and the stirrers i have are both locally made the brand and model will not likely be of any help to you. I would suggest jumping on ebay and having a search for 2nd hand sh-3 magnetic hotplate stirrers Ones with an auto shut off hotplate with a temp probe would be the best. Nitecore is putting out a stirrer sometime soon which may or may not be worth looking at.

Nitecore Magmixer

2 Likes

thank you very much again sir :slight_smile:

I would love to hear official thoughts on those. If the price is right I may get one since I’m a small bottle mixer. 30ml or less and mix 15 at a time on average.

They are not available for review as yet (as far as I am aware)

They finally made it! Rare Earth baby! These little guys latch to the stirring plate. Had to laugh, got notification they had shipped this morning. Clicked on the tracking link and it said delivered. Sure enough, right there on the porch. Cole-Parmer is just a little slow with notifications.

5 Likes

I have a 250ML flask and a 20mm cross stirring bar, I am mixing 100ml of liquid, however, it won’t spin at all. so I bought some Octahedral 6Mm X 25Mm will this be any better ?? my Magnetic Stirrer is an Amicus Ultra-Flat Compact Speed range (rpm) 15-1500. Max. stirring quantity 0.8L. Max. load capacity 2Kg. Dimensions (WxDxH) 175x120x15.

Hi Jason

If you are having issues you can sit your mix in a warm water bath for a little bit before you put it on the stirrer - don’t let it get super hot just around 40c (104f) should allow it to be mixed - if your mixer can’t stir it at that temp then there may be an issue with the strength of the stirrer.

Cheers

Put the cross bar on the mag mixer without the juice test if it spins if it does then put your mix in the water bath

ok, I give it a try thank you and what if this fails? would the larger bars work that I ordered? they are Octahedral 6Mm X 25Mm??

If it doesn’t spin outside the juice it may well be the bar is too short to hit the magnets on your stirrer

I have ordered some Octahedral 6Mm X 25Mm do you think these would be better?

Not sure I don’t know your stirrer - have you got the specs somewhere - they usually say the recommended bar size.

yea my stirrer spec is Magnetic Stirrer is an Amicus Ultra-Flat Compact Speed range (rpm) 15-1500. Max. stirring quantity 0.8L. Max. load capacity 2Kg. Dimensions (WxDxH) 175x120x15.
http://www.betterequipped.co.uk/amicus-ultra-flat-compact-magnetic-stirrer-2532