Medicine Flower Tasting Notes

If I don’t let the MF steep or let it steep for only a week do you think I’d have to mix at 5% or is there something wrong with my flavors.
I was told by MF that one bottle (I gave one lot number), was made in Nov. 2014.
Then, when I had to mix them at 5% and/or add other brands to make it strong enough, I thought there was something wrong.
I had heard you mix it at 1%.
This is what I did…
I put 5 drops in 30 ml VG/PG nic 3mg. It was weak.
I doubled that adding 5 more drops.
I still have to add about 1% flavor art chocolate to the chocolate or FA Butterscotch to the MF Butterscotch to vape it and taste butterschotch.
Is it possible it is just me? Other recipes I make from here at ELR are not weak to me. Ya, Apple Jacks was weak, but most other recipies like Third World Custard are strong at times and I add some VG/PGnic to them in my tank when it’s an Aromamizer usually.

Thanks for your opinion. Now The Raw Food World are nice people. MF are not nice people.
In their opinion, they are never wrong and never budge on anything. Quite rude in my opinion.
Oh, and by the way, the owner said the issue with the bottles being not a full 15 ml never happened and it’s all a lie.
Also, it’s a lie that the MF starts loosing potency 4 months after opening. So if you read anything that said that, that man is a lier too according to MF.
You should store it in the cupboard at room temp and it’s good and just as strong even more than 2 years later.
This is according to MF.
All I know is I was told I could send it all back and get a refund and that it must be that my taste buds are broken.
Looking and looking again and again at what I did, I think I’m just mixed up about drops versus milligrams.
Well, today I am going to mix and use a scale for the first time. Thank goodness before I make more trouble.
Oh, and I did put 1 ml of each of my 20 flavors in a 5ml bottle of PG to give to a friend who mixes. He will tell me if my taste buds are broken or not.

2 Likes

One thing is for sure…5 drops in 30 ml is no way a 5% mix, so I imagine this is where you have gone wrong…Your last statement about drops vs milligrams, I believe, is accurate…I mix by weight…Now your last sentence 1 ml into a 5ml bottle of PG equals 16.6% flavoring…So I am imagining that you may be getting fouled up with your measurements…I mixed MF Watermelon at 2% by scale…Here is what I would do, if I were you…Download EjuiceMeUp calculator and learn how to use it…When you hit the Tools button (top/left) go to Grams set…Nicotine = 1.0352 PG = 1.038 VG = 1.26 Water = 1.00 Flavor = 1.00… these give you gram to ml conversions …Set your nicotine parameters, size of mix etc…on the flavor bar name your flavor …I mixed MF Watermelom…in the percentage box, I entered 2%…Check your Flavor 0 PG/VG box…below…set your PG VG desired ratio…I went 40/60…Lower right…hit calculate…There is your resulting recipe…Now I am wondering what kind of devices you are vaping with?..because coil/wick surface area make a big difference for flavor, along with steeping…since MF is extremely concentrated, I gave it 3 weeks and you can read my observations post 50…I steeped open bottle after an initial frothing, for about 10 hours…then capped it and put it away…visiting it daily, I would squeeze the air out and take in new air…re-cap, shake then put away…Tried at 3 weeks …Not sure what MF flavors you have, so I cannot speak to anything other than Watermelon…After the initial vape, about a week later, the Rind essence faded, and the vape became sweeter, so there still is a change that continues…I store my flavors in the fridge…I don’t use heat, waterbaths or anything to speed steep…

2 Likes

I copied and pasted what you wrote into my Ejuice info document. I will read, re-read again tomorrow. Thanks.
I am enjoying the mf. Hope you are too.

2 Likes

Going back to the first set of flavours I ordered (post 49), I struggled to get any real flavour with my initial samples I made of the Strawberry extract at 3, 4,and 5 drops. I have remixed it at 8 and 10 drops per 10ml and what a difference, currently vaping it after a 4 week steep and it is absolutely bang on. A really really good finished, authentic fresh Strawberry flavour. Best strawberry flavour I have sampled by a country mile. Time to find the perfect Dairy Cream flavour to mix it with now.

p.s 10 drops gives me a very strong finshed Strawberry flavour, but 8 drops is slighly more subdued, which enables me to vape it for longer periods than the 10 drops, I am finding.

2 Likes

What does that equate to in % flavoring?..Are you taking 10 ml base and then adding 8 to 10 drops of flavoring to that OR are you including the 8 to 10 drops as part of the total mix to equal a total of 10 ml ?

3 Likes

I have mixed all my test samples with 10ml of AG Base (12mg) and then added the drops of extract to that base. So in the case of the MF strawberry I have made one sample using 8 drops and another using 10 drops using the MF Dropper supplied.

I calculated the drops per ml myself using the MF dropper a few months ago, but I would check yourself to see if you get the same.

I measured them at 45 drops per ml so 9 drops of MF strawberry based on this should equate to 2% flavouring

I find it easier to use the dropper and add the drops to 10ml of base when it comes to using them as standalone flavours, I intend to remain consistent to this with all the current and future flavours I get from the MF range due to the strength of the extracts. I don’t do mixing by weights so I either do my standalone samples this way if they are high strength low amount flavours/extracts.

If they were weaker ones like Capella then my test samples I do are done the standard way i.e. 15% flavouring= 1.5ml and then add 8.5ml base to it

When I come to start using these MF extracts in recipes using other brands alongside them, I will switch to the normal way of working out flavours as %'s in the recipes as per examples like these that have already posted.

I am also finding these flavours work better for me with higher ohm coils + 1 ohm and lower watts 25-35 watts than sub ohming at high watts.

3 Likes

Gotcha…I mix by weight and %s…and even though these MF flavors are a bit more delicate to measure out (being as concentrated as they are)…my scale goes to hundreds…so if I am off by, say .02, by virtue of the last drop I put into the mix, I don’t lose any sleep over it…either way, we are both amounting to similar weights and measures, so to speak… :slightly_smiling: I mixed MF Watermelon at 2% and achieved wonderful flavor and vape experience … The Strawberry, well the jury is still out on that one for me…I mix for smaller tanks which typically have a smaller coil/wick surface area…also I am vaping at about .9 ohms to 1.1 ohms…at about 10 to 15 watts…and being a MTL hitter…, With all these factors considered, generally my formulas incorporate a bit higher flavor %s overall…

2 Likes

So the caramel was ok as Shake and vape? Did you go with the 1% I have been hearing on both?

1 Like

Yes. I mixed it @1% … a little weak as a shake-n-vape, but it gains richness after a week. I mixed it in my Mudslide recipe @ 0.5% and it was really great after 3 week’s steep.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried there green tea?

1 Like

10 drops per 10 mil. So that’s about .22% then at 45 drops per mil?

2 Likes

That’s about right, based on the MF dropper and my eyesight.

If making a 10ml sample of a standalone MF Strawberry, For my tastebuds I would add 10ml base and 9 drops of strawberry using the MF dropper and steep for 2 weeks. If you need it a little stronger add another drop according to taste on your next batch.

But I think 9 drops would be a good starting point

2 Likes

If you haven’t tried the Butterscotch yet…You must! It’s my favorite.

1 Like

Anyone tried the green tea?

1 Like

Posting my reviews of 4 more Medicine Flower extracts I bought as part of a small group buy direct from a US Vendor…

All 4 flavours I have mixed in an all AG base at 12mg and each flavour is mixed at 4, 5 and 6 drops per 10ml. I have made enough to sample a tankful of every strength over a 4 week period, so I will be able to see how they develop over that time.

All will be tested on Sigelei 75w TC mod and Uwell Crown Tank using a stock 1.25 ohm Coil

Week 2 Steep - All tested on 1.25 ohm coil at a range of 30w-38w, There has been little or noticable colour change except for a tinge of yellowness (slightly pink in vanilla) to the finished liquid after 2 weeks

Blueberry

Lovely Blueberry flavour, nice natural sweetness to finished flavour and an occasional hint of bitnerness in the background, This isn’t an overpowering artificial flavour like some blueberry flavours, so if used as a standlalone may need to mix stronger, but as a mixer somewhere between 4 and 5 drops should suffice nicely

Vanilla

Very natural clean flavour, a little weak at the levels I mixed it at, but not a standalone vape for me, but as with all MF flavours, should definitely be usable in a mix

Caramel

Nice mellow slightly creamy caramel finished flavour, no real strong burnt sugar taste you get with some caramels, quite refreshing on the palate and a very pleasant recognisable flavour

Butterscotch

Not an overpowering flavour mixed at the quantities I used, may need mixing stronger. Like the caramel a very recognisable, smooth slighly creamy finished flavour. Needs a little more sweetness to make it pop for my tastes

Will start a second test to cover the 4th week of steeping later next week and post any changes/development of flavours after that, if there is still any interest in these flavours and my reviews

4 Likes

Just a few notes to let you all know how it’s going with the Medicine Flower flavors…
I’m vaping the Medicine Flower Black Cherry mixed at 1% with Yogurt FW mixed at 6%. Love it.
The Morello Cherry is good with a tiny bit of Pink Lady (like 4 drops in the tank) or a tiny bit of Exotic Fruits by INA at 3%.
Sometimes I’ll add a bit of FA Cherry trying to up the cherry flavor. Need to mix the Morello Cherry at 1.5% rather than 1% and give it more steep/try.
I only vape at about 30 watts max, but yes I have found that heat really helps steep the MF fast making the flavors bloom.
I’m trying to vape all of my MF flavors (now 24) in every tank with something or by itself. I did get Watermelon. It’s excellent.
The last couple of days, I have a cold and I’ve been trying out the Lemon. It’s lovely. Lemon got mixed by accident with the MF Butterscotch. That was good.
Now I’ve got the lemon in with DeMomma’s Peaches and Pecans recipe about 50/50.
In another tank (TFV4 mini) I’ve got Almond with some TPA Milk. That’s as good as Hazel Milk (which I really enjoy).
I’ve had excellent results making Blueberry Cheesecake using the Blueberry. Finally… a good strong real blueberry!

Looking at my notes, I find: MF Morello Cherry with MF Watermelon and TPA Vanilla Swirl and FW Buttercream. I’ll try that again later.
MF Watermelon with drops MF Raspberry and MF Coconut is good.
MF Blackberry with Yogurt, Cream Fresh and Custard FA was good.

2 Likes

Today I am going to post my final opinion and comments about the 25 flavors I got and tried. There’s some (listed below) that I still need to try.
To sum it up, I’d say,… Don’t possibly waste your money on the other flavors, but do buy Blueberry, Butterscotch, Peach, Watermelon, and Lemon for sure!
Today, I strengthened all but Peach and Butterscotch to 2% rather than 1%. Maybe this will improve my ability to use/vape them.
Flavors I have tried to use:
Almond - Haven’t been able to use, enjoy. Prefer other brands.
Apple, Green - Haven’t been able to use, enjoy. I don’t like it and can’t add anything to make it good.
Banana
Blackberry
Blueberry - Excellent vaping every day as Blueberry Cheesecake mix. Wouldn’t live without it.
Butterscotch - Excellent vaping every day. Wouldn’t live without it. Vaping as single flavor 1 to 1.2%.
Caramel
Cherry, Black
Cherry, Morello
Chocolate, Dark
Chocolate, White
Coconut
Coffee
Fig - Haven’t been able to use, enjoy.
Guava - Haven’t been able to use, enjoy.
Hazelnut - Haven’t been able to use, enjoy.
Lemon - Vaping every day with other flavors added.
Mango
Orange - Vaping with other flavors added.
Passionfruit - Good. ?Better than others… I don’t know.
Peach - Excellent vaping every day. Wouldn’t live without it.
Pomegranate
Raspberry
Vanilla
Watermelon - Good. Better than others = yes.

WANT TO TRY MEDICINE FLOWER: http://medicineflower.com/flavorextracts.html
Apple Golden
Apple Red
Bergamot
Cantaloupe
Grape
Honeydew Melon
Honey
Pear
Plum
Strawberry

4 Likes

This a very faint Apple flavor. It’s better when mixed with other Apple flavors.[quote=“Joy, post:130, topic:38088”]
Strawberry
[/quote]

This is a good strawberry flavor, but a little mild also. I mix it with other strawberries. It’s better when mixed @ 1.5% or more for a lead flavor in a mix.

2 Likes

Mine leak out the air holes. But, I had to go and re-watch a review by DJLsb Vapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6BMUrHV-c to figure out the juice flow control. I believe the part you are describing. If you hold it still and turn the tank clockwise (looking down at the top of the tank), that opens up the juice flow. I do realize how it is situated in there and about the pin. It’s amazing that you have your juice flow right just by chance. I must keep mine set to wide open so I don’t get dry hits. And no… I don’t have too much cotton in there. Just a light amount landing at the top of the cotton-holding ring.

Both of my Cthula leak after filling. Juice comes out the air holes. I wouldn’t say it’s a wicking issue. It’s a pressure issue. I think when I unscrew the top fill it leaks down into that area below the coil. If I turn it upside down and then open the air holes, it reduces the amount that leaks out of the air holes, but it doesn’t eliminate the leak. If I don’t turn it upside down and I fill it and open the air holes, I get a huge flood coming out of the air holes. It’s like 1 whole ml.

I have a really bad issue with my Cthulhu v2. The top fill threads are so bad, to get it on I must keep trying hard for about 3 to 4 minutes. Lately, I just give up. It’s only on by about 1/4th turn. I contacted Fasttech and after 5 or 6 emails they gave me an $8 refund off the price of it. At first, they were insisting I make a video not referencing them in any way and put it somewhere and send them a link to the video. I refused to make a video. They lied saying the manufacturer needed it. I am never ordering from FT again. It’s not worth it. Come on… I have better things to do other than email 6 times in order to get a lousy 8 bucks. I’ve ordered hundreds of dollars in merchandise from them, and I refuse to be treated like a robot. Enough on that - and forever.

1 Like

Honestly, I was embarrassed to tell I mix them with other brands of the same flavor. Yup. That fixes them up. I’m trying not to do so.
I did mention before how it seems like ‘real’ and ‘artificial’ flavors together seem to give you a boom.

Thanks Pro_Vapes. Personally, I won’t buy something that has a faint flavor.
I might stop here. I have a lot of good apple flavor brands already.
I wouldn’t live without the Butterscotch and the Peach. I’ll be restocking those.
I’ll see what I can do with the chocolates now that I’ve doubled the strength.
So, do you prefer the strawberry that is mixed with other strawberries? Will you re-order?

3 Likes