Medicine Flower Tasting Notes

Open source vapor uses on average. A 2% stevia mix, loss of sweetness might be the reason. Try adding a high quality organic rebaudioside-A VG (120mg/ml) to see if that makes up for it. Also a lot of flavours lose there flavor to open air, might want to try closed lid to see if u get. Different results

1 Like

So u have not seen flavor degradation in your MF mixes? And you have steeped for up to 6 months?

1 Like

How long did it steep?

1 Like

Maybe I didnā€™t come across well in my reviews I sampled each flavour/strength after 7/14/28 days since mixing.

Due to the quantity and sampling amounts it takes about 5-7 days to sample 5 flavours at 3 different strengths. I found the flavours were best for my own personal tastebuds at 7-17 day mark.

I have noticed a drop off in finished flavour that I described as Dank the final flavour has become more rounded, the natural sugars have blended in with the fruit, the unique sourness you got with the watermelon has all but disappeared.It is difficult to describe the taste in the mouth at this stage of development, it to me is like a heavy musty taste? and although they still taste of fruit it has lost some of the vibrancy I was getting in the earlier stages of steeping

At this stage I think they work best for me at the 2 week mark. I will be doing a further batch again in the next few days and will steep them with lids on to see if there is a difference in finished flavour.

A couple of people have suggested oxidisation as the problem. All the bottles are needle tip bottles (like concentrate bottles) I can count drips from them if I wanted to. Air will get into the bottle but very slowly.

I have mixed for 3 years and I use All VG and VG Nicotine with anything up to 10% distilled water. AG mixes will always mute flavours (which may be happening here) but I have found that steeping with lid off helps an all VG/AG base mix, blend and bring out the finished flavour quicker than sitting in the drawer for 4-6 weeks with a lid on. I know what oxidisation tastes like in a mix, as I occasionaly encourage a little bit of it in 6 month custard mixes, because i think it adds something to the final mix. But this is only occasionally and for custard flavours (I Like Black Custard) . Oxidisation is not happening with these MF flavours I have just reviewed though.

As I said in my last review, it may be my mixing style. But it is my own tried and trusted method for myself, for the ingredients I use in my mixes.

4 Likes

What is an AG mix?

2 Likes

AG is an abbreviation for Aqueous Glycerine which is basically an all VG base (including VG nicotine) that has added distilled water to it.

I personally, depending on the quantity of concentrate used in the mix vary it between 5 -10% of dependant on quantity of concentrate used in the mix i.e. the higher % of concentrate used the less water used, as the PG concentrate will help thin the VG base anyway.

For me as I use an all VG Base I find adding water helps with wicking and the final flavour as all VG on it owns can mute some flavours.

A lot of the new stock coils you can get for sub-ohming cope very well with all VG bases now, so wicking isnā€™t such an issue as it was 12 months ago thoughā€¦

3 Likes

I use max vg as well due to sensitivity. Most mixes though - non MF - have at least 8% pg due to flavour so I have had no need. Good info though for when my MF arrive. Thx

2 Likes

Since these are all natural fruit extracts, and fruit turns rotten over time, what happens after a month may be just the natural process? Just curious. Wouldnā€™t these flavors go bad after awhile?

2 Likes

So we are clear I copied and pasted this. None of this is my writing.

On redditt topic safety diy extractions
So I finally bit the bullet on moving to sub ohm vaping, loving the clouds (used to be a shisha guy heh), but it sucks down juice. Decided it was time to get into full A-Z DIY juice development and ideally extractions.
Read through InertiaCreepings arrangement of Onions_can_be_sweetā€™s content: (https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/1sost6/creating_extracts_to_be_used_in_ejuice/)
and various recipes/methodologies for extracting things like vanilla, coffee, cocoa, spices and teas into pg/vg and alcohol bases. During this research I ran into a lot of speculation as to the safety of organic cinnamon and vanilla extracts, and organic flavors in general.
Essentially my question is two fold, are these organic extracts as safe as ordering synthetic flavors (which I was doing in the past), and is there a list of flavors to avoid aside from things with Diacityle?

all 3 comments
sorted by: best
[ā€“]joesphaa 2 points 16 days ago*
Diacetyl**
Ironically organic flavorings have a higher potential risk of introducing contaminants/undesired matter from the extraction and are subject to less strict regulation as artificial/synthetic flavorings.
You have to do your own risk on what you feel is worth avoiding. Dermal sensitivity from what Iā€™ve seen, seems to be a pretty decent indication to extrapolate with. Check GHS pictograms/hazard warnings for compounds you are using and make an educated guess if you want to inhale it or not.
Home extractions are pretty much a dice roll, steam distillation typically isnā€™t very hard for a few flowering plants.
[ā€“]ZotikosEros[S] 1 point 16 days ago
Thank you kindly for the correction and reply.
I wont be purchasing any organic flavors, only DIY extractions using VG steeping/water baths. If artificial flavors are generally considered safer I better brush up on my chemistry and keep going with my TFA builds. Going to be a long term project it seems. But thatā€™s where the fun of a new journey comes in!
The big speculation iā€™m having is how harmful these bi-products could even be. Obviously vaping is still pretty fresh so not many studies are available on the actual harm caused (from what I can find). Considering things are only flash heated and even then less than 10% of your mix is flavor, and that too is fractionally constituted by actual organic matter, which is further reduced considering the majority is still in the vapor after exhaling. Itā€™s difficult to imagine much harm being done.
Seems the majority is just speculation and subjective based on an individual point of view of what ā€œharmā€ entails.
permalinkparent
[ā€“]SolanaceaeEnthusiast 2 points 15 days ago*
Kind of depends. The artifical versions of most flavors are usually just the most ā€œnotableā€ part, like ā€œvanillinā€ for vanilla , so for that example, unless you wanted a hint of something else (and unless youā€™re some weird sweets connoisseur I doubt you know what youā€™re missing) then youā€™d be better off just buying artificial (although one vanilla bean will make a hell of a lot of concentrate so I guess it would be cheaper per ml over time)
For something like coconut the artifical molecule isnā€™t even from coconuts, its made from some tree bark.
For blueberry theirs no nuance at all, and they have got that shit down pack with the artificial stuff (try a blue redbull) , although youā€™d need sweeteners and maybe something else for mouth feel to get all the other stuff.
Tobacco? now thats my specialty, so putting aside recent research that shows our bodies might actually be making tobacco specific nitrosmaines out of nicotine (TSNAā€™S are one of the bad guys we dont want to vape) , the amount of tsnaā€™s found in naturally extracted tobacco ejuice was hundreds of times lower than tobacco , put that in perspective though to really feel its meaning , in one year of vaping only NET ejuice youā€™d have how much tsna exposure compared to smoking 20 cigarettes a day? or 5 bowls from a pipe?
I found tea leaf extract juice gave me a headache (the jasmine tea specifically) , so , proceed with caution on that end.
In most cases, unless youā€™re missing something I would just go with artificial (maybe starting from scratch one molecule at a time if youā€™re a real nutter like some of us)
I personally just love the taste of tobacco to death and find synthetic ejuice tobacco is bullshit.

3 Likes

Iā€™m no scientist but it sounds like there might be issues with organic matter, would MF count as this. Even still I canā€™t see how these chemicals in flavours ( buteric acid donā€™t sound like no natural health product to me) can be worse. What do u guys know of this?

3 Likes

Iā€™m personally less worried by the organic matters than I am by smoking or by chemicals I canā€™t define or pronounce. Iā€™d be especially cautious if I was allergic to anything organic like peanuts or strawberries, etc. as those allergies will still trigger from vapor. The ELR flavor warning list does a pretty good job of listing any known warnings for most flavoring manufacturers if they have performed MSDS analysis on their product. It would be the first place Iā€™d look if I was evaluating new flavors. Medicine Flower may be too new to the vaping world to have those readily available or in the ELR database though.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still planning on testing MF. Way I figure the amounts are so tiny, how bad could it be? If 2 packs of smokes 20 years of heavy weed on top and 20 years on top of that as a drug addict( 5 yrs clean now) didnā€™t kill me or even slow me down, whatā€™s vaping going to do? Lol

4 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

Open source vapor uses a 2% stevia for sweetener. What do you think of this?

RA98-50g.jpg 50 gm - Stevia Concentrated Reba-A 98%

Can$37.00
REBA98-50GM
Pure ingredient Rebaudiana-A above 98%, steviol glycosides above 99%. Reb-A is considered the best ingredients among all steviol glycosides. 400-450X sweeter than sugar. 100% pure, no additives, no preservatives, no fillers, no aftertaste and no lingering taste. 1 tinyspoon = 4 tsp of sugar.

Submit

3 Likes

I personally donā€™t use sweeteners. I know @Mofogger has had some experience with Stevia recently. Maybe he or others with experience can comment.

2 Likes

Getting my MF this weekend and want to try tose open source vapor recipes

3 Likes

Two dudes in drag with a table full of what looks like sex toys and jesus candles (and of course the gratuitous monkey and dingy bell). This is a WTF photo if I ever saw one :laughing:

2 Likes

Name recognition popped up on my icon, maybe I can add something hereā€¦

@john70 Hereā€™s the thread to which @Big_Benny_MI was referring to, I believeā€¦
Click Me

My thoughts on sweetners:

• Sucralose - gunks up coils and burns, becoming carcinogenic

• Ethyl Maltol - adds sweetness but mutes flavors the more you add plus it gets a waxy, crayon taste to it.

• Marshmallow - I use this in everything, goes great in bakery blends

• Organic Stevia - There is absolutely no substitute for this when using acidic fruits. It is pure magic for strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apples, cherries and others. When mixing acidic fruit to bakery items, like strawberry-short-cake, try 0.5-1% Stevia with 1-2% Marshmallow! Super-sweet and Super-smooth! Itā€™ll blow your mind!

A quick excerpt from the thread:
Please let me know how this turns out. I started looking into stevia because of CAPsā€™ Grape w\stevia. Itā€™s the first vapable fruit Iā€™ve found.

I think Iā€™m just sensitive to the acidity in fruit flavors or something. Iā€™ve tried them with everything and they always turn out dry, harsh and very battery tasting which sux. I love my custards and creams but canā€™t add fruit to anything cause it kills the blend.

Tried drowning fruit in creams, tastes like cardboard and hobo feetā€¦

Tried drowning fruit in sucralose, tastes like 50/50 dry flour/grain sugar and it jacked up my coil (then I found out the gunk can be carcinogenic) F that

Tried drowning fruit in marshmallow (I remember this one well, it was strawberry), still dry and acidic but had a special quality I canā€™t truly conveyā€¦Imagine a picture of a pink flamingo wiping itā€™s ass with a marshmallowā€¦ turn that into a juice and Ta-Daaaaa! Thatā€™s what I made.

*Tried drowning fruit in Ethyl Maltol, kinda works but has an odd ā€œDid I just eat a crayonā€¦?ā€ aftertaste. *

Gonna go find some stevia later today and see how that works :smirk:

5 Likes

Mixed up some testing samples of Medicine Flower flavours I ordered earlier and received yesterday

Black Cherry
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple

will add my taste notes in the coming weeks

4 Likes

Sex toys LOL. Those are bingo dobbers(or whatever they are called)

I will never be able to go play Bingo again! :smiley:

1 Like