Medicine Flower Tasting Notes

It most certainly does! Thank you.

3 Likes

I havent but some have. I do not store in dropper bottles, i store everything in cone cap bottles. Dropper bottles will cause some flavor loss over time with anything stored in them.

I have some bottles curing, when i tested the 3 month bottles they were all quite beautiful. Still have a bit to go on the 6 month bottles.

1 Like

I think i mentioned this before but i dont see this as any kind of stand alone, it is a pretty sour flavor just as the cherries it is derived from are. I think it will be a great mixer tho.

1 Like

Something else that i forgot to mention along the way is that many people use their flavorings in the .5-1% range. My personal preference is usually less than what the majority use. I dont know how many of you have heard of OpenSourceVapor but they use MF flavorings in their mixes, not only do they sell the mixes but they post the recipes.

I had forgotten about their site but was reminded when reading through some DIY threads on reddit.

5 Likes

OSVā€¦ very good reading there. So these recipes are MF flavors?
Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Yep, i do believe they are all MF flavoring tho i didnt look through them all but each one i did look at was MF. When they talk about reader or user suggested %'s some have suggested that this is for evod users or old tank style users and i agree. The highest % i have used any of their flavors at is 1.5% for banana tho i havent used Vanilla as they do. They use it as a cream type base, i use it for the flavor and smell. I am intrigued by this and have started jotting down some recipe ideaā€™s to utilize it in the manner.

Anytime, wish i had thought of it earlier as i am horrible at answering questions sometimes, seeing the flavors in recipe probably would have been very helpful to everyone.

3 Likes

Just making sure - Youā€™re mixing 10 ml of this right? 3 drops mango in 10ml liquid?

1 Like

Yes each flavour is mixed as a sample adding either 3 ,4 and 5 drops (using the dropper that MF supplies with the 15ml extract bottles) in a bottle that contains 10ml of 12mg AG base

I measured a ml of extract and made it 45 drops using the MF dropper (subject to me not going to cross eyed during the process of counting ):smile:

Due to the strength of these extracts in there undiluted form, I think measuring by drops will be the way forward for myself personally, when mixing with these, as I donā€™t use scales.

I donā€™t expect all of the 5 flavours to be perfect within these drops measurements and there may well be a need for some adjustment further on. But as I have learned from strong concentrates (tester for Inawera) if I use a starting point with consistent amounts when testing, it ultimately provides me with a good starting point when trying out new flavours.

7 Likes

Week 2 steep reviews

Tested on Uwell Crown stock 0.15 ohm coils at 475-510F 40-50w

Watermelon

Flavour has changed and the sweetness has died down and the watermelon natural flavour is really starting to come through. 3 Drops feels ready to vape but is a little weak in finished flavour. 5 Drops provides the right amount of strength of flavour in the vape for me, but due to being it stronger needs a bit more steeping I feel. Nice balance of red juicy fruit coming through with a slight sourness of rind coming through. Occasionally get an extra strong hit of rind when vaping and makes a nice contrast to the usual red fleshy part you get but still pleasant vapeā€¦

Mango

The flavour of the fruit has really come to the fore and the sweetness has subdued, with just an occasional hint of sourness, this is really coming across as the real thing flavour wise. Flavour comes through at 3 drops but 5 drops seems the perfect amount for my tastes. Feels as a 2 week steep is the minimum to get the right balance of flavour and sweetness for this particular extract in high vg mixes, but the change between 1 week and 2 week steep is amazing, so maybe there is more to come?

Strawberry

Feel I havenā€™t mixed this strong enough and this will probably need at least 10+ drops. I get the sense of what this flavour can give even at 5 drops though, the taste of real strawberry and the natural sugars shine through and gives such an amazing flavour representation, but just not at the strength I want. 5 drops feels good for a mixing level with other fruits but as a standalone I am going to try mixing it again using 8, 10 and 12 drops in the New Year

Raspberry

Recognisable as raspberry, sweetness level dropped back slightly but still quite sweet and syrupy overall, 3 or 4 drops seems a reasonable level to mix this at for a standalone, hopefully steeping a little longer will continue to reduce the sweetness level. At this strength of flavour and sweetness (4 drops) I can see 1 or 2 drops being plenty in a mix for my tastes.

Guava

This is developing into a real good flavour, the citric kick on it provides a great throat hit on the inhale and a really decent fruit tasting flavour on the tongue. 5 drops is my preference at this moment although strong it isnā€™t overpowering as a standalone. For mixing 1or 2 drops may well suffice.

Will hopefully post a 3rd update in the New Year to see how these flavours have developed over 4 weeks and will probably leave 10ml of each strength to steep for a further month so I can get a good impression of how these extracts develop over time.

10 Likes

OKā€¦3 weeks exactly for steepā€¦I mixed this Watermelon at 40/60 PG/VG @ 2%ā€¦Seems high, however, I am mixing these for a little Aspire eGo type tanks with the small surface area coil insertā€¦MTL hitterā€¦These tanks generally do not perform as well as RDAs for flavorā€¦Canā€™t wait to get this into my Goblin Miniā€¦My experience with Watermelon runs along the line of many reviews here on this threadā€¦Vaping it as I typeā€¦By far, THE most tasty experience in my short (4 month) vaping careerā€¦and even shorter DIY experiences

Not a lot of flavor in the initial drawā€¦but the inhaleā€¦flavor explodes in my entire mouthā€¦Absolutely the red pulp of the melon is there, with a very slight bitterness at the topā€¦Bitterness that I am experiencing may be the ā€œrind sourā€ note that many of you describeā€¦There is almost a sort of dryness associated with the aftertaste (much like the dryness of a wine)ā€¦

Exhale is equally flavorful, and there is a coolness with that as wellā€¦I enjoy hotboxing this, and breathing the vapor in and outā€¦French inhale and exhale provides more of the rind essenceā€¦Very interesting experienceā€¦Draw into mouthā€¦inhale with mouth wide open equals sweet spot with the exhale from mouth and noseā€¦

Absolutely the most pleasurable vape I have had so far, barr noneā€¦Wondering if it gets better with age beyond 3 weeks steep time, so farā€¦Any input out there on that?..Gotta get it into my Goblin Mini with air flow controlā€¦Given my mix percentage, I am certain that the flavor will be multipliedā€¦

I bought these on a Lark, whilst visiting ECX and just opening my mind to different flavors from their offeringsā€¦ProVapes review forced me over the edgeā€¦ :slightly_smiling:

8 Likes

Just a quick update on all these flavours, they have all steeped now for 28 days at the various strengths mentioned in the earlier reviews, I posted.

I have seen and read in a couple of reviews elsewhere on the net, that the flavours die off a period of time and I am experiencing this now with the all the flavours I mixed except raspberry. That I bought and mixed earlier in December.

They now, have all, what I would describe a more rounded developed and recognisable flavour but overall have become much weaker, much less sweet and a little dank in finished flavour. i.e. the sourness and the sweetness of the watermelon at the same time has all but disappeared and left just a mouthful of weak tasting watermelon

I still have 10ml of each flavour at each strength I mixed left, so will leave them another month and re-check to see if it is a stage of steeping development they are going through at the moment? and if they come out any better for a longer steep.

There could be many reasons for this, I havenā€™t mixed them at a higher enough concentration level and they need more to maintain the flavour and make them last beyond 4 weeks? I steeped them all with lid off for 4 weeks and maybe that has impaired the final flavour? I used Max VG, this is all something I will have to look into, further along the line and mixing with other flavours and brands to see how they work in recipes.

Although what I have written may sound negative, I am still very positive about these flavours. I think for my own personal tastes, they are at there best 7-14 days after mixing due to the natural sugars and real fruit taste you get from them in the vape, I really canā€™t convey how good they were for me at that stage of development and is something that I have never experienced in 3 years of vaping with any other single flavour concentrate or juice before.

These and other flavours will definitely become my ADV but I will mix sensible quantities 20ml at a time as mixing large quantites will be just wasteful if they become so muted after 4 weeks for me personally at this moment in time.

p.s. I used 2 different makes of tanks and stock coils to test these on in case I had a dodgy coil and experienced the same final taste on both.

Hopefully a few other mixers will starting posting reviews elsewhere on the net over time as Medicine Flower become more popular and different techniques and ways of using these concentrates in mixes will become discovered. To get the most out of them.

5 Likes

Increase your PG ratio in the mix and Iā€™ll bet youā€™ll see a world of difference; say around 40% PG. However, some flavors do fade over time; Iā€™ve noticed that with some of my tobacco flavors, even at higher PG ratios in the mix. :smirk:

2 Likes

Vaping PG and using PG in everday products is a real problem for me,

I have always mixed Max VG but have learned to tolerate the small amount of PG I have to use when mixing with concentrates, Hence the appeal of Medicine Flower concentrates.

The flavour profile changes from week 2 to week 4 for me and I thought it was poorer for it, but that is just my opinion. I donā€™t drink but it made me think when people talk about the difference between young fruity wines and matured wines. Maybe for me and my tastes MF and VG suit me better for a shorter steep time?

Certainly the 5 flavours I tried are better than anything else I have tried on the market currently and I will be happy to work with them in the timescales of steeping and vaping I need to, as they will definitely be worth the effort.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that! :pensive:

1 Like

Anyone tried these yet? I based my order on them

1 Like

I have to wonder if there is any logical reason to keep this open to air for this long. To me it reasons anything with flavor will diminish in intensity exposed to air for extended periods. Unless these were steeping in bottles with needle tips I think it is just a forgone conclusion that flavor will weaken.

That said, I too did several SF mixes with a few MF flavors. And I too found them to need a fairly long steep with few exceptions. The flavor does round out and the harshness I perceive also mellows. But as for flavor intensity, I donā€™t notice a huge drop, only have noted some that may need to be mixed higher than 1%. Notably Watermelon, Strawberry, Honeydew Melon, and Blueberryā€¦ Blackberry isnā€™t a good stand alone and it and Grape would mix below 1%. But Iā€™m no where near completion of tests on these flavors. But waitā€¦thereā€™s more.

I got grapefruit and mandarin. These flavors are totally out of this world. Mandarin will be involved in a lot of my hi jinks I can tell you. So far it seems these may need zero steeping. Butterscotch is unbelievable, although I only mixed it a few days ago I have tried it and it doesnā€™t have the harshness of any of the fruits.

3 Likes

The curious thing here with bluenosesā€™ observation is thisā€¦He steeped them for 4 weeks with the lids offā€¦then he tasted them and reported great flavorā€¦after the 4th week, lid off steep timeā€¦So it seems that maybe it stands to reason that the excellent flavor was still there at the time of vaping which was after 4 weeks, with the caps offā€¦Hmmmmmmā€¦Perhaps flavor degradation happened AFTER his initial taste tests?..and was simply a function of timeā€¦I am wondering if perhaps, storing the finished juices in the refrigerator may help alleviate the flavor fadeā€¦I believe that it was Ken-O-Where who mentioned that he stores his flavor concentrates in the refrigeratorā€¦so maybe the same should hold true for the finished juices?

1 Like

Which?

Now im not bashing on anyone but curing liquids with the lid off will totally alter the way they taste. This is basically releasing the wanted flavor molecules, closed lids using polycone tops, or something similar, is the best method of curing these or any other liquid. Rubber dropper bottles will aid in the degradation as well. Slow curing is the best method, cool dark place and time with the proper container. Both VG/PG are fantastic desiccants, they will absorb tons of water from the surrounding air, something we dont want either.

When i first started talking about these flavorings i told people a minimum of a month for every extract that i tried. I think Botboy and abdaba would agree on this and they are two others that i know have been using these for quite awhile now.

I do store mine in the fridge, whether or not it is necessary i do not know to be perfectly honest. I do not store the finished liquid in the fridge. I have done some rudimentary testing on curing times, 1/3/6 months on a shelf in my basement which is always dark and cool. They have held up pretty well thus far. Fridge storage will help to abate nicotine oxidation for long term curing.

Hope some of this makes sense, im pretty tired as wee just got back from a 3 day road trip from southern WI up through the UP and down through Michigan, Indiana, Flatlandia and back home. FUN FUN FUN!

7 Likes

Open source vapor

1 Like

You steeping with open or closed bottles?

1 Like