MTL’r chucks some tits to see what all the fuss is about…

In my newbie MTL ignorance, my first RTA was a Bellus which I eventually managed to get to MTL acceptably at 15W (details if you’re interested). Flavor was awesome but the draw was still too loose and I couldn’t make it taste nice with a tight draw regardless of Watts/ID/spaced/contact/plain/twisted/Clapton/different gauge/metals coils/loose/medium/tight/Scottish/pancake/short/long/cotton/silica wicking.

I’ve since bought an Ubertoot UTA2, and a Digiflavor Siren 22 which I’ve tried in every combination mentioned above, as well as a Kabuki, so far with only 1.8 Ohm coils which apparently taste slightly better but gunk quicker. I’m now DIY mixing pretty well (badly at first) so I reckon I finally have a bit of an idea of what ‘tastes good’ for me in chocolates, cakes, fruits, menthols, tobaccos, and cigars, in mono’s (boring…yes I’m also a foodie/piss-head err epicurean) and blends.

So seeing as I now have some good MTL tanks and repeatable setups at 8-12W, and some nice replicable juices, I thought I’d set up my predominantly DL Bellus tank with a DL setup – dual Claptons 26/32G Kanthal (which incidentally took me three goes to get into the Bellus’s small chamber without shorting, details if you’re interested) and try my two current favourite juices – Pina Colada (AM vape), and Mild Sweet Cigar (PM vape) The verdict? Didn’t taste or throat hit ANY better. Sure it produced bigger clouds (subjectively twice as big?), but used 60W instead of 15W, and a directly proportional greater quantity of juice – I normally use about 1 ml/hr in my MTL tanks, this setup used 2ml in half-an-hour.

Bottom line - it appears you don’t need mega coils or Watts for good flavor or throat hit. Admittedly it’s taken MONTHS to find the right gear etc seeing as most manufacturers are aiming at the DL market (and why wouldn’t they? The money is in the consumables…), but with persistence (/ADHD/OCD) you can replace cigarettes on the cheap… Happy to share what I’ve learned so far…

edit - to be fair, and maybe it’s humans’ intimate relationship with fire, or our proclivity for getting in each others’ face, but I did rather enjoy producing obnoxiously excessive clouds… Not enough for a quarter the battery life and four times the juice consumption, but it was kinda’ fun…

7 Likes

You should add your info to this thread

They may find it helpful.

3 Likes

Here ya go! :grinning:

…yep, you win the blue ribbon prize for that statement. :grinning:

Bigger is not always better…:smirk:

10 Likes

+1 for OCD!

Amen!

3 Likes

Right on Brotha! Many of us know this but do not comment on it in order to avoid WW3 :wink:

5 Likes

+1 I quit with a Nautilus mini @10 -12 W filled w/local shop tobacco blend at 16mg. Seemed nearly free compared to the 2 pack/day habit.

3 Likes

Amen. Well said.

Aww shucks,. Thankx…

1 Like

Precisely. The flavour changes somewhat with the ratio of nicotine to cloud volume produced, though… but you can take that into consideration when mixing…

Was this a faux pas or am I noob enough to have avoided that (WW3) can of worms? ;p)

Actually now I think about it, I HOPE I’ve opened that can of worms - the number of smokers who’ve said they tried vaping but it didn’t do it for them so they stayed with cigarettes is actually distressing in light of my experience of finally quitting cigarettes after multiple attempts after 44 years of smoking. What you can buy off the shelf just doesn’t cut it for a hard-core epicurean smoker. So I really want smokers who want to quit to know that high-Watts multi-coil sub-ohm cloud chucking is not the only way to quit smoking with vaping…

5 Likes

Agreed - I find the higher the nic the lower the clouds ie I cough my guts up if I take a huge inhale of high nic… But for me it’s ALWAYS been about flavor and throat hit. And why would you want to impose huge clouds of smoke OR vapor on those who won’t appreciate it…? I’ve never been one to impose my ‘right’ to do whatever the f… I want on others. Can anyone spell ‘considerate’…?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion - done…

1 Like

We Provari snobs have known this all along…MTL or DTL

4 Likes

Anyone who started out with ones of these…

…in one of these…

…knows what’s what. :smirk:

3 Likes

I’m finding my stay in Tootle Puffer land to be quite enjoyable.

Light clouds, pleasant temps, and very tasty.

Wish you were here.

7 Likes

Well I have several Kabukis, using 1.8 ohm coils. They last me for up to 6 months, because I follow the guidelines of using 70pg//30vg. My adv is Cinnabomb from Provarifuel, at that mix. My DIY is made the same, some of the sweet juices I use in a Zatty, I can just burn the funk off. Hope this helps.

Hello @TheTinMan1 I think I did or that was where it was supposed to go , thank you :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the Kabuki tips :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I have a visceral aversion to ingesting synthetics in general, and especially PG which is a known anti-bacterial. I do occasionally ingest an organic anti-bacterial when I have the flu - the old towel over the head over a basin of hot water and some eucalyptus oil, but I wouldn’t do it daily. So it’s MaxVG for me.

Consequently (?) when I chain-vape the Kabuki (with 1.8 Ohm coils?) I get dry hits at about the third or fourth draw. So I’ve ordered some 1.6 Ohm and 1.2 Ohm Triton Mini coils to see if it’s the 1.8’s. I do hope so as the Kabuki’s flavour is up there with the Bellus, Siren, and Ubertoot and I want a pre-built coil tank for going out…

Purged. Excessive forum moderation.

Oh! Didn’t realise there were two versions of the 1.8 Ohm! Thanks! I have the BVC which I’m guessing would have originally been made for the Nautilus Mini.

More open as in air flow or juice flow, or both?

And are the Triton Mini 1.8 Ohm coils branded differently than ‘BVC’?