N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

Another option I found for single variety (or varietal, dunno what is correct term.)

I would assume this has flavor added but not sure.

Edit: Apparently the flavor I would be referring to here is called “casing” and it does not add a flavor but rather, it enhances the flavor of the tobacco itself (somehow).

1 Like

I’ve referenced that site before, but never hit that section yet! Nice find! :grinning: That is a little bit less than what I pay for mine at the local tobacconist shop; better selection online though.

1 Like

After looking over the Pipes&Cigars.com offerings and doing a bit of research here and there, a wish list is finally starting to materialize. It’s a tough decision when there are so many tobaccos with so many awesome reviews attached.

If anyone has a “must try” tobacco or cigar, I’d love to know. :grinning: For now, here’s what on my next maceration list:

C&D ~ Billy Bud
C&D ~ Habana Daydream
D&R ~ Picayune
H&H ~ Louisiana Red
H&H ~ Virginia Spice
P&S (Match) ~ Revelation
Moonshine Pipe ~ XXX Blend
Sutliff ~ Sunset Rum
Sutliff ~ VooDoo Queen
Stokkebye ~ Luxury Bulls Eye

3 Likes

My Groovy Blue’s

2 Likes

I am just starting to go through my recent NET purchases from the unfortunate going out of business sale of Myvapejuice.com and have found a few that I really enjoy.
So far I will add the following but I am sure many more to follow.I must admit it is hard to put down the NET’s!
Gurkha Evil XO Cigar
Spinnaker Pipe Tobacco
Man O War Cigar
Davidoff Scottish Mixture Pipe Tobacco

3 Likes

So, more than a DIY juice review (I’ll get to that eventually), this is a little show and tell on the Aeropress coffee maker used as an extraction tool for NET. I had thought about getting a buchner funnel, hose, Erlenmeyer flask and hand pump….so glad I didn’t. This thing is super easy to use, cleans up quick and it really has no parts to break……unless you are super abusive to inanimate objects or just clumsy.

So, let’s get started!

Here we have our set up: Aeropress, 70mm Grade 5 qualitative filter paper and 1 month steeped tobacco. I will mention, I used the coffee filters which came with the Aeropress for the first run filter process and did a second filtering with the Grade 5 (2.5 micron) qualitative paper.

Close up of the macerated tobacco in PG.

You’ll also need a jar to receive the filtered NET; I just used an old Ball jelly jar. Tobacco is dumped in the Aeropress.

Used a spoon to get all of the tobacco and PG out of the cook jar.

Applied the plunger (a bit of PG was rubbed on the inside of the Aeropress to help keep the plunger from being sticky)

With a bit of downward pressure…the NET starts flowing. The plunger will come to a full stop eventually. That’s when you walk away and go do the dishes, watch TV or screw off on the ELR forum. Come back in a bit, push down on the plunger…walk away. It doesn’t take long to complete the process with the regular coffee filters (20 micron or less). It’s the NET passing through the Grade 5 (2.5 micron) filters that will take a while…perhaps, overnight.

First run complete!

Remove the bottom of the Areopress and discard the spent tobacco.

UPDATE NOTE: I’ve started using a stainless steel “ricer” to squeeze the solvent from the tobacco; much faster process and you don’t leave behind so much solvent in the tobacco using the ricer.

Transfer NET into clean jar, 'cause we’re getting ready to do the process again with a Grade 5 filter.

The 70mm, Grade 5, 2.5 micron filters will be slightly larger than the filter cap; no worries…just press the 70mm filter down inside the cap and install on Areopress as usual. No leaking will occur.

NET is poured into the Aeropress and same procedure is followed as in filtering round #1.

This time, we’re going to set the project in a safe (overnight) place, press the plunger and walk away. Maybe press the plunger every hour or so, go to bed, go to work, cook dinner or again, screw off on the ELR forum. Within 24 hours, the process should be complete.

Note: This process is typical for 75 to 150ml of NET maceration. I would suggest filtering in small batches, so as not to overload the filter paper with gunk from the tobacco.

Warning: Once you install the plunger…don’t stop the pushing process or pull the plunger out of the Aeropress; you will suck the filter out of the filter cap and back inside the Aeropress. Bad situation! NET juice everywhere! Bad! Bad! Bad!

Review of the maceration (as promised):

The end product is awesome. The tobacco was a local tobacconists pipe tobacco blend of Virginia, Perique and Latakia (kinda heavy on the Latakia……smokey!) called Pynes Pleasure. If you don’t like a hearty, smoky, campfire quality to your vape, buy tobacco which has little or no Latakia in the mix; there’s plenty of other loose tobaccos or cigars from which to choose, believe me.

However, that is exactly the nature of the NET which was produced from this local blend; it has a hearty, wood-smoke flavored aroma, yet there is sweentess from the Virginia and sweet/sour fruitiness from the Perique. It’s all there in one NET concentrate because it’s there in the tobacco blend.

The best couple of parts about NET is the true tobacco flavor you get from the juice and it’s very inexpensive to produce. There is the initial startup cost of the Aeropress and filters (roughly $45) and the PG base ($??? your choice). Bulk tobacco usually runs around $3.50 per oz… You can make roughly +/- 1500ml of vapable end product with 150ml of NET concentrate from that 1 oz. of tobacco, assuming you use +/- 10% NET concentrate in the mix. Very inexpensive!

So, there you go…the Aeropress as a NET tool! Kinnikinnick tried, tested and approved! :blush:

16 Likes

Great review! I always wondered how the Aeropress worked. I’ve heard good things, but never a step by step. Thanks! Sure looks easier than my compressor / vacuum pump set up.

So, regular run-o-the-mill coffee filter for the first pass, then switch to the boxed, 2.5 micron filter for the 2nd pass?

I have to admit, the Buchner funnel, hoses, vac pump was kind of a pain. My problem was trying to keep the liquid from being pulled around the edge of the filter, by the vacuum. If I remember correctly, my filters are 1.5 micron.

Yup! Your 1.5 microns will just filter a bit slower but better! :grinning:

It is a simple, easy and low pressure (time wise) way of filtering you NET. Push the plunger…walk away…:wink:

Now, if one gets too gorilla like on the plunger, you can force the NET past the filter…but seriously, you’d have to be putting 75 to 100lbs of pressure on the plunger. It’s not designed for that, so a song as folks use good sense, everything works like a charm.

3 Likes

LOVE the aeropress. I miss using mine. I keep thinking I should get it out and make a good old fashioned normal cup of coffee. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if you could put a heavyish book or something on top of it. Just enough to keep a little pressure on it so it keeps pressing down?

4 Likes

Ok…I admit it! Damnit! I did use a 60lb stage weight from work when I was did the first filter run! :disappointed:

Disclaimer: Use weight on the plunger at your own risk!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hahaha I knew you weren’t gonna babysit that thing all night. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: 60lbs?? That’s a lot of weight. I was thinking like…5. LOL.

4 Likes

I found out eventually, the backpressure on the plunger is enough to get the job done without adding weight. I did have a bit of leakage around the edges of the filter cap when I used the 60lb weight; so, yeah, perhaps something a bit lighter would be best practice. :wink:

5 Likes

Check these filters out … are they the same ones ?

https://scientificfilters.com/store/filter-papers-cellulose-filters-qualitative-filter-papers-1005-070

Or from

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?term=whatman+1005-070+filters&interface=All&N=0&mode=match%20partialmax&lang=en&region=US&focus=product

Or from

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/whatman-qualitative-grade-circles-sheets-grade-5-10/09830k

1 Like

I got mine on Amazon. 1.5 micron - 7.5 cm diameter.

Looks like Tisch (your first link) has a $75 minimum order, if I read that correctly.

I’m a little confused by the ‘Grades’. I saw grade 6, grade 5, mine are grade 601. They seem to be all over the place. Maybe someone more scientific will chime in. I use measurements like a splash, a dash, half an eyedropper, etc. I just want to know, will it get the chunks & particles out? :smile:

3 Likes

Ya your right $75 min and fisher wants $10 for shipping :disappointed: Thanks for your Link :+1:

2 Likes

Just got my Aero Press yesterday at Bed Bath & Beyond for $25.87 with a 20% off coupon the wife had

I think it’s the Micron size that your looking for not the grade but I could be wrong

4 Likes

That looks like a great deal. From Jim’s pictures, above, it looks like you could use whatever micron sized filtering you wished. You could add an additional filtering step, which might help in my case. I went from ‘coffee filter’ to 1.5 micron, and that might be clogging up the paper, causing some of my seepage around the edges of the paper. If I added a 3 micron stage before the 1.5, maybe that will help.

More ammo for my next NET attempt.

3 Likes

Ordered these yesterday … Good price

https://www.famous-smoke.com/tatiana+tins+groovy+blue+small+5~10+cigars/item+30974

2 Likes

Nice! :grinning:

Yeah, there a bazillion grade (different manufacturers) types I’ve found. I specifically looked for 70mm or 7cm with a 2.5 micron rating. Totally up to you on the micron rating, but the lower you go the better the filtering, but the longer it will take to get through the filter. :smirk:

My PGA extractions pass through rather quickly, but the PG takes a while…VG takes for friken ever. :triumph:

3 Likes

That is worth a try, just because the name is so cool!

Groovy Blue Smalls…I love it!

2 Likes