N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

I concur, just had a sneak peak, drew out some liquid with a syringe after a month steep, low heat, and mixed it at 20%, it is very smokey. I could probably filter it already but I’ve decided to leave it a while longer. The more concentrated it gets, the less I’ll have to use. 20% is definitely too much, maybe at a lower percentage it still could be used as a standalone. If not, it will be an excellent addition to the N.E.T,s with less charisma :sunglasses:

2 Likes

True. With the higher Latakia (Balkan/English) content blends I have produced, most of them do well as a stand alone below 10%.

Your Nightcap would be an excellent blender with something like a bright Oriental.

2 Likes

@Kinnikinnick did you ever find which filteration was best. I had my eye on this filteration funnel with the hand pump but also seen you’ve been using the aeropress with good results…

( I have used this company before very nice ship out of St. Aug, FL )
https://www.sciencelabsupplies.com/Filtering_Kit-_250_ml.html

or the less pricier option of the press

which do you think is best anyone can answer if they’ve had experience w/ either !

I have tried a 5 gr to 20 gr vg Tea NET today using a Pu erh Hazelberry http://www.adagio.com/pu_erh/pu_erh_hazelberry.html

Also someone was saying the filter got bubbly around the beaker here is an idea https://www.sciencelabsupplies.com/Rubber-Filter-Aid.html

2 Likes

I like my Aeropress I think it works good :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m with @Rob62. Love my Aeropress.

Now, I haven’t used or know anyone who has used the pump version. But for me, I saw the Aeropress as a less costly way to go. Not only that, but there are 3 parts to the Aeropress and they are hard plastic; less stuff to go wrong or break.

In my experimentation with the Aeropress, I found that when it came down to the final filtering with a 2.5 micron filter, it does take a while for the process to happen. If I’m not in a hurry, I just push the plunger down a bit and walk away for a bit; come back later and do it again until it’s finished. That downward pressure will push through a bit of extract without me being there to watch it happen.

If I’m in a hurry, I weight the plunger down with a few books or a steel Dutch oven skillet and walk away; the process will happen all on its own without me being there at all. Lubing up the inside of the Aeropress tube with some VG before you put the plunger inside aids in the plunger moving freely while unattended.

Probably more information than you wanted, but tips and tricks are useful.

2 Likes

Honestly I think a mixture should take time to sit and mature. Then filter it out good. I have a mixture that has been sitting for 5 to six months now and am trying to be patient with it. I stir it every now and then but am trying to be patient with it. I tried a sample at 2 months, I thought it needed more time.
All nets are pipe tobaccos from a local pipe store. My next batch will be tobacco leaves from a tobacco leaf store. I am running out of the Virginia Flue that someone gave me. I have made a Blueberry honey mix that is to die for with the flue.

2 Likes

Welcome to the NET threads @Skullblade789.

I very much agree on letting things sit for a while and mature. Particularly with regards to cigar tobacco. A lesson I learned a couple of months back was that I shouldn’t throw away the tobacco after a filter until I’m absolutely sure it’s usefulness has been achieved.

As it turned out, I didn’t let the cigar maceration sit for long enough. After 2 months of steeping, it went to filter. I have to use 50% extract to get a nice flavor. Alas, if I had saved my tobacco, it could have been saturated again with the filtered extract and left to sit for a few more months. Lesson learned.

Other than cigar tobacco extracts, I have found that for me personally, a heat assisted pipe or single variety tobacco maceration takes roughly a month worth of cool steep time to reach a really nice potential. I’ve been using no more than 15% extract in a mix, out of the 20 or so extractions I have performed.

But, with every new extraction, one learns something new, every tobacco is a bit different and we polish our skills.

3 Likes

I just draw some liquid out with a syringe and make a test batch, it gives me a pretty good idea of the potency of the extract without going through the whole sordid business of filtering.

Laziness is the skill I’ve polished the most, hence the syringe solution :grinning:

4 Likes

I have started doing the same thing with certain tobaccos. I got complacent that my other tobacco (pipe) extracts were turning out fine with a relatively short cool steep time. Cigar leaf is a different beast all together; jar it and forget about it for 6 months or so will be the key.

2 Likes

I feel a long steep time in pg will make the difference. Also a long steep time for the Eli quid mix. You are looking at a 9 month process for a good NET in my opinion. It all takes time for greatness.

3 Likes

Ok thank you @Kinnikinnick and thank you @Rob62 I think the next time I’m at bed bath and beyond I’ll pick one up.

I did a couple batches in the mean time all teas thus far but omg do they smell good. I got greedy and strained one thru a coffee filter that was within a small metal strainer took me around 3 days for 15mls to come thru then I said this is way too early so I combined it w/ a whole new batch of tea…exciting I think I’ll try and let it go around 3 months and see where I’m at.

Thanks again for all the wonderful work you’ve done here it’s appreciated. I look forward to hearing more of y’alls reviews of your tobaccos as well.

3 Likes

I would like to try that … Recipe please

How did it go at lab?

Not too shabby, but NET tobacco is pretty much my ADV now. I make a hybrid NET on occasion when the casing flavor in a tobacco blend isn’t quite up to snuff.

1 Like

Same here. My NET pipe is sooooo good.

1 Like

This is a good Tea I may try this

1 Like

I got my Aeropress a few weeks back have been waiting patiently for my Zinger Tea NET to come to 1 month.

I found that I really need a better receiving jar I lost some of the NET d/t it dripping down the sides and what not.

I ran it thru the Aeropress filters 1 w/ the NET in raw form this was the original pass then once again w/ a new filter and only the remaining juice.

The next thing will be to let it to just continue to drip and I will bottle it. I feel that it will only yield around 5-10mls tops out of around a 30ml batch in the beginning.

Not too shabby for the first run. Then I’ll see what improvements can be made and I am sure getting a better jar for receiving will be one and making a larger batch and extending the steep time will be next.

I just wanted to see how it was coming along so I did a 1 month on this one and I have one that I will let continue to steep for another few months.

Questions would be should I just use this as a flavoring or would you use it as the base and add Nicotine to this 10 ml batch and possibly next time I could get a lil bit more out of my batch w/ the right set up. ??

Amy’s Zinger Tea Recipe
2 Bags ( loose) wildberry zinger
1 bag loose True Blueberry
1 bag loose Peach Passion
1 bag loose Black cherry berry
1 bag loose Raspberry zinger
collectively weighed in around 14.67 grams

0.517 oz. Tea
0.753 oz PG
1.503 oz VG

4 Likes

I would use it as a flavoring

2 Likes

I ended up filtering it one more time. and have about 7mls I agree Rob will use it as a flavoring verses a base. Thank you. It is as dark as wine but smells way better :slight_smile:

Fun part is figuring at what % prob around the 10 % mark considering it is a VGD blend.

2 Likes

Hope it turns out good!

And totally up to you if you want to make this a base w/ nic or not; I usually keep all of my tobacco extracts free of nic base til it’s mixed, since my mixes range anywhere from 3mg to 10mg depending on the vaping device and location.

1 Like