New study suggests vaping damages the heart

Strinkin ears is ok as my ears are big already but if they said strinkin private part then that sure would stop me lol

I was worried about the shrinking ears as well. I wear glasses. How the hell will they stay on.

Will my ipod earbuds still work?

5 Likes

Next you should go to a bakery forum and tell them the health issues concerning sugar.

9 Likes

i could breathe now without wheezing , i ciuld play basketball without puking and i no longer wake myself up every night coughing so hard i spit blood , im sure its nit 100 percent safe but ut has improved the quality of my life and im enjoying a new hobby and btw met some pretty awesome peeps so yiu tell me whats safer or better for you ??? hopefully now that the fda and the government is gwtting their fair share maybe they will fund some testing maybe fred hutchinson cancer place will chip in im vaping not smoking and i have kept a promise to my little man my son who prompted me to quit smoking

13 Likes

I agree with you, if vaping does damage the heart I want to know about it. My question would be what is the source of the information, where is the supporting medical evidence, and if there is none I carry on vaping. Goodnight.

5 Likes

Present some actual long-term harm evidence and I’ll be concerned. This study shows nothing more than the danger of consuming any stimulant. Nicotine by itself has been shown to cause no long-term heart problems.

The articles themselves commit the fallacy of false equivalence, that is, since this one symptom of vaping is somewhat analogous to a symptom of smoking, the two are just as bad. You do see the problem there, right?

4 Likes

I’m gonna carry on vaping regardless, as for the source, you can find it, I’ve already mentioned it several times, supporting medical evidence? It was conducted by a team of scientists and doctors.
Zigz that’s not a false equivalence. The symptom is whats bad, i’e stiffness of the aorta. It doesn’t say doing the same thing by smoking is worse or better. It simply states that the symptom is an undesirable one, unless you like cardiovascular diseases. If anything what you posted worries me more, it suggests it’s not the nicotine that did it meaning weening myself of nicotine isn’t gonna fix the problem, that sucks. Oh well.

I would like to clarify something as i think a lot of people have got the wrong end of the stick. My points were

1 - people are too vitriolic about vaping because while they recognize the upsides (as we all do) they’re not cautious enough about another possibility which is

2 - For all we know while half of smokers die from lung cancer, it could turn out that 99% of vapers will die early from heart disease. Before any nutjobs jump on me, I’M A VAPER TOO, AND IT’S ACCEPTABLE TO THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS INSTEAD OF RELIGIOUSLY GETTING DEFENSIVE AND ACTING LIKE YOUR FELLOW VAPER IS WRONG OR SCAREMONGERING. phew…

It’s simply a thought, it concerns me because i see people are way too quick to protect the holy grail of vaping.
I love vaping but there is always, ya know, that other option, ween yourself off vaping AND DON’T GO BACK TO SMOKING.

People act like it’s one or the other and constantly equate the two. Quitting is probably the smartest thing in the long run and at least with vaping it’s easier to ween yourself off and eventually stop. This new news could mean nothing or it could mean a similar level of damage to the hearts operational ability or it could be much much worse for the heart. I agree we need more info, but i honestly feel like vapers are becoming a cult. Saying they don’t trust certain data (always data that’s negative to vapers), and want to know the equipment and clean room and names and blah, but are happy to cite sources they have equally poor information on (for the most part) and probably can’t name the people who conducted them and didn’t require the same criteria for their acceptance.

I just want people to think more about these things and stop seeing everything negative to vaping as a personal attack. Look at the threads when the uk health ministry published a relatively barren article on vaping being safer, everybody jumped for joy and NONE of the questions they’ve asked on here were even bothered with. That tells you something about the mentality of this.

Vape on, ignore it, i will, i won’t be stopping unless they can 100% prove it will kill you faster than ciggies, but saying things like “I won’t accept anything until i see long term proof”, knowing full well you can’t have long term proof on something so relatively new is just intellectually wishy washy. It doesn’t hurt to recognize and listen to people smarter than yourself. A lot of people cite American tobacco companies in bed with governments (but don’t name the cases) and even so, ignore that most of the rest of the world doesn’t allow that thing at all, people just want to believe in omens everywhere to help them justify their ignorance…

Just for the record, when I said:

It was referring to the folks (usually irrelevant cogs trying to “create news” even if there is nothing of substance to back it up: hence numnut) who go around trying to dig trash up (ie: Dick Tracy) to write and report such stories (those who want to be the next hot reporter, hence the “Dan Rather” reference) for the likes of DailyMail and FoxNews, and all of the others who serve any agenda other than providing the actual facts, and letting the public make up it’s mind (which is the way news USED TO BE).

It still got twisted into something else, which was expected.

3 Likes

If you have a link to the paper then please post it. I have read through over a dozen articles and none of them linked to it, nor could i find it after some searching.

Prof Charalambos Vlachopoulos states: “There could be long term heart dangers. They are far more dangerous than people realize.” The second sentence is the fear mongering as nothing he says or shows prior proves this. All of these articles are full of conditional sentences that mean nothing without the data and are used to shock and awe.

Yet i have seen no data to back that up. In fact what the data shows, that i could find, is that the affect is temporary and shorter term than via smoking or even caffeine ingestion.

RESULTS:

Systolic blood pressure (BP) and pulse pressure increased significantly throughout the study (by 12.3 and 7.4 mm Hg, P =.005 and P <.01, respectively), whereas diastolic BP did not change. Pulse wave velocity increased (by 0.57 m/sec, P <.05) denoting an increase in aortic stiffness. This effect of caffeine lasted throughout the study (3 h), peaking at 60 min and decreasing progressively thereafter.

I have not seen any evidence in any of the articles ive read that show actual heart damage, only a temporary stiffness. After reading several more papers on air pollution and arterial stiffness, as much as one is allowed without paying, i am satisfied that vaping is no more dangerous, in regards to stated “damage” that a cup of coffee or air pollution. Should i see some data to the contrary i am not concerned.

Part of life is risk assessment. I smoked for 30+ years and quit 4 years ago with vaping. After all of the many papers and articles ive read i am satisfied that i made the right decision. Everything kills us, everything we do. Worrying about every minor risk factor is foolish, assess the risk, make decision and move on.

I dont want to argue here, i would like a link to the actual paper as nothing in any of the articles i read lead me to the conclusion that this doctor made in his statements.

4 Likes

I’d believe you if you didn’t add another passive aggressive remark. Expected me to twist your words? Why? I haven’t done that to anybody at any point. If you’re being honest then cool, but you can surely see how your comment is easy to misconstrue as a veiled insult. If it wasn’t, then i accept that.

I would like a link as well, I’m sure it will surface, it’s like two days old and I’m not any more privvy to these sources than you are. If you find it before me, please post it.

1 Like

I certainly will, i assumed you had a link as you said:

Sorry if i misread this statement. Like i said previously i am interested in only facts from those doing the research. Speculation will always cause rifts. As half an old fart i have seen this kind of double-speak bazillions of times yet i still try to get to the truth because in the end it is all that matters.

Ill keep on searching until i find it, then ill ask my brother, a research scientist with a PhD or my wife who is also a research scientist, for the full paper. Both of them have published several papers in various journals so hopefully they can get it.

5 Likes

When i meant source i meant people have asked several times who did the study and where it was done and i posted the commission and name of the doctor. I don’t know where the study itself is published, I’m sure it will become available.
If i find it first I’ll post it.

BREAKING NEWS!

A new study suggests that people are better off doing their own research rather that trying to rely on media sourced information.

Do you vape? - yes
Do you feel better for it? - yes
Have you researched the liquids your using, their chemical compounds and any potential risks they pose when inhaled? - I can do that?? Yeah, amazing huh?

As vapers, we are the ones doing the real research, we are the ones who will be able to answer the questions posed in many articles, like any good research it takes time

Edit: If you are in any doubt about vaping then please feel free to stop, the ELR community will help safely dispose of any vaping gear, flavourings and nicotine

10 Likes

This just in…more at 11pm! (If it bleeds, it leads :smirk:)

Enjoy!

8 Likes

Awesome find and great link @Kinnikinnick!!

It also contains a link to the “research” (lol, if you can stoop to calling “a letter to a journal” research…for medical journals, it’s the equivalent of “a letter to the editor” in a newspaper).

[quote]What is it based on? It was based on a study of one particular well known acute response to nicotine exposure, written up as a letter to a journal: Vlachopoulos C, Ioakeimidis N, Abdelrasoul M, et al (2016) Electronic Cigarette Smoking Increases Aortic Stiffness and Blood Pressure in Young Smokers. J Am Coll Cardiol 67:2802–2803. [link][PDF]

What was the study about and should we be concerned? We should not be concerned by this. This is a study that measures an acute effect of nicotine use on the ‘stiffness’ blood vessels. Similar effects are found with exposure to coffee, as a result of exercise and even while listening to music.[/quote]

Again nice find, and it’ll be interesting to dig further into for information.

7 Likes

well…I did NOT see that coming…

I’ll carry on then, seeing as I completely stopped when I read the article…

5 Likes

15 Likes

The articles (the ARTICLES, not the RESEARCH) say ecigs are as bad as cigs because they share one similar symptom and completely ignores the fact that cigarettes have a list of negative symptoms a mile long. That is the definition of false equivalence!

I get your point, vapers commit the fallacy of confirmation bias on the daily. That is obvious. What is not obvious (to me, at least) is why you seem so hell bent on riling everyone up with this particularly easily pulled apart “study” and refuse to acknowledge any attempts to counter it with logic or studies showing contrary evidence as anything but a religious devotion to ecigs.

There are plenty of studies that have been run for a year or more. The earliest vapers have been around for 10 years now. Long term data is increasingly becoming available. “We don’t know the long term risk” has been the mantra of the anti-vape activist for a decade. And it’s starting to get old. Literally.

10 Likes
10 Likes