Okay... what's next?

You know, I DO agree with you here, however, look at big business. Do they eat costs, hell no, and they can afford it more so than most of these online vendors. Big business is a hell of a lot worst than what these guys propose. Think about it, gas and diesel goes up to $4.00 a gal. Shipping nearly doubles on all products. Prices in turn go up because their shipping cost more. We’ve heard this over and over, and over. Now that fuel is $2.00 a gallon, why does the price of shipping not decline? Why do we not see other prices return to normal. See what I mean about big business. They find reasons to raise prices but it’s all hush hush when their costs return to normal so they can rake in the extra money. Anyone remember gas prices going up anytime someone farted in the Middle East…

2 Likes

If a business has increased overhead then you naturally expect higher prices. i don’t disagree with that.

Do you not also agree that should cost go back down to normal that prices should return to normal. There’s the problem, they never go back down…

3 Likes

The fact I have a credit card is proof enough. US Passed a law after 2008 credit crash that you have to be 21 to open credit card account.

8 Likes

Absolutely. I’m right there with you my friend. Grocers blamed elevated fuel prices on the higher cost of produce, floods and drought on other shit, and it seems their calamity is never resolved. This year I’m seeing watermelons priced about $1.50 less than this time last year. WOW, only $6.50 for a melon! I remember them being…well nevermind, we can do that all day! :slight_smile: But yes, if the cost of business is suddenly and unavoidably higher I believe businesses should charge more, and when the situation is over it should mean prices go back down. Funny how that rarely happens and no clearer example of that can be found than with gasoline.

2 Likes

The guy in the video @Rob62 posted said lighting vapes were charging $5.70 for an ID check before you can order your vape related items. This ,he said, was law in several states in the US.
They haven’t had to do this before so it’s just another way the government is trying to shaft us.
There is no such thing in the UK (thankfully) but surely theres other ways of proving your age without having to be charged a fee?
There passing this cost on to the consumer but there made to charge this fee by their states governing body.

I ordered from Lightning Vapes on the 8th and didn’t have to pay any ID fee. The order was for a lot of wire, wicking material, tweezers and some free juice. There was no ID check whatsoever. The same day I ordered some wire and spool tamers from Kidney Puncher and there was a one-time ID check. No fee. I just had to send the an image of my ID with everything blocked out but the name, date of birth and ID type. Very simple process and only needed on first order.

4 Likes

That’s my question…what cost? Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t believe it costs them more to verify age and suspect this is just them taking advantage of consumer ignorance to make extra profit. I would love to be wrong about this.

3 Likes

I am going to take a guess here and say they possibly have to print out the proof of ID and keep it on file physically not electronically ( the government requires this for a lot of stuff ? ) and this is why some are requiring a small fee to cover there additional cost to comply.

If that is the case I understand the fee but if not I agree @SthrnMixer just another way to boost profit.

3 Likes

So you think it’s just them cashing in on the consumer?
Like we don’t pay enough already! I suppose it’s only going to get worse once everything kicks in, but hopefully with all these lawsuits being filled, that will slow the process right down.

4 Likes

I think @Ggrhauling hit the nail on the head with credit cards. But even if you’re using a debit card ( some people under 21 have debit cards ) the Bank has all your info so let the Bank verify your age at time of sale. Someone under 21 just gets red flagged. Let the Bank verify not the Post office

1 Like

Knowing someone posesses a credit card is of age is not a sure fire age verification because of Visa/Mastercard Gift Cards. I may be wrong but I do not believe you have to be of age to use these. There’s also prepaid cards too. I have no idea what age requirements there are to use these, if any at all…

3 Likes

Well I’m just glad Kidney Puncher is just 10 miles away :sunglasses:[quote=“Bearkat, post:67, topic:64542”]
Kidney Puncher and there was a one-time ID check. No fee.
[/quote]

5 Likes

Thankfully this is not happening in the UK. Yet!

3 Likes

China don’t care about no stinking age verification rules. :metal::point_right: (emoji for peace out)

8 Likes

Got an email from Lightning Vapes today with this in the content.

What’s up with this adult signature in my cart? I just wanted some juice!
In lieu of a handful of states such as CA, TX, MA implementing state laws requiring age verification on tobacco sales made online, we are required by law in those states to ensure that certain items here at LightningVapes.com are delivered to adults of legal smoking age in their respective state. Furthermore with the recent FDA regulations passed regarding electronic cigarettes, we will be implementing this nation wide, and expect the industry to follow suit come August of 2016.

To comply with these new laws, all of our new and existing customers must fill out this form . Alternatively a mailing service which requires adult ID verification upon delivery (increases shipping costs) can also be arranged.

To ensure prompt shipment of your order, please ensure that the name and address for shipping match your ID, otherwise we will require that you choose a shipping method which requires adult signature upon delivery.

4 Likes

I ordered 500 ft of Kanthal from LV on the 9th, shipped on the 10th, and should be here tomorrow.

I didn’t have to fill out any form when I ordered. As far as I can remember (and that’s hit & miss at my age), I’ve never filled out any form at LV. I think I’ve done 4 or 5 orders from them in the last year.

I checked the carrier being used, UPS, and they use a hybrid service called Expedited Mail Innovations. Sounds like it’s UPS most of the way and then USPS for final delivery. I checked the FAQ at UPS to learn more about this service, since I didn’t think anyone would be home to sign for the order (if a sig was required) and on the UPS FAQ it said

Q. Is a signature required by the recipient for delivery confirmation service?
A. No, a signature is not required for delivery.

Is LV just sending the emails to random customers, getting us prepared? I double checked my email and didn’t get the email that @Big_Benny_MI is referring to.

Guys, keep in mind the Vape accessories are exempt from the regulations. Wire, chargers, skins, parts (glass,etc), cables, cotton, and other things of the like do not have to be age verified…

1 Like

So there was an interesting thread on reddit by a vendor, CloudAlchemist, the other day. As part of the regulations flavor manufacturers, with intended us for the newly defined tobacco use, will have to submit confidential formulations for the Tobacco Product Masterfile. Any company that refuses to do so will, Lorann being specifically named in this thread, will not be allowed to be used in ejuice manufacturing by commercial vendors as ejuice manufacturers will have to provide an ingredient list as part of the registration process.

So basically this means any company that uses Lorann flavorings in their mixes will have to reformulate or remove the product from its line.

This is just my opinion but the most popular ejuice that uses a Lorann flavoring is the juice that launched the company, Bombies Nana Cream. I remember when Michael would open the online store once a month as he held another job at the time. The store would be open for maybe an hour before he reached his order limit and many of those orders were for Nana Cream. I find it sad that they will have to reformulate especially considering the other banana cream, (TFA), does not taste like the LA version at all.

What does this mean for us DIYers who use LA colorless products that are special ordered by DIY companies for us with the intended use in a tobacco product? Will said vendors still be able to even purchase them? Will we have to go back to group buys? LA will sell colorless versions but to my knowledge you need to order 5 gallons at a time, they mix it when you order it.

Maybe one of the vendors we carry these flavorings can chime in and answer a question or two.

Edit to include the link to the PDF on LA’s site: PDF
It is in the thread i posted the link to but i thought id just post it in case their are some who would rather not go to reddit.

EDIT 2: GremlinDIY, the candy supply vendor, will continue to carry the colorless versions. Also, sorry but i didnt realize that this was in the hardware subforum.

1 Like

Got the same email