Orange - Other wise known as Orangey'mc'Orange Face

what flaves were you interested in for the one drop ill pm you

1 Like

ā€¦ Waiting impatiently for a good orange recipe! and Iā€™ll add 2 drops of MF orange, even if you do not want ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The suspense is gonna kill me.

2 Likes

Yes. A couple drop of orange mf would be good to a 15ml.

3 Likes

I already have the MF orange drop and the bottle.
Missing is the rest of the recipe! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

a very good orange is the Hangsan green orangeā€¦to me it tastes like tropicana orange juiceā€¦I was surprisedā€¦I got it on a whim it may be differentā€¦it isā€¦orange is like cherryā€¦hard to hit the right spot where its goodā€¦

5 Likes

I know itā€™s last yearā€™s, but to say thank you, weā€™re always in time!

3 Likes

Much appreciated. Still a work in progress here. Just did orange cream tpa at 6%. The cream was pretty good on mouth feel but orange notes not very prominentā€¦even with mf orange in the mix.

Next personal rule Iā€™m going to break is order ice creams from cap and tpa. Hs, fw, and lb are just not hitting right.

6 Likes

Quite right! Just doing a mimosa cocktail and itā€™s soooo difficult to get the orange rightā€¦ no chances.
just finished the Orange Fa and testing an unknown ā€œrebrandedā€ range tangerine from chefā€™s with a spot of RF Blood Orange and some WF Lemon Lime soda SC to increase the fizzy bit with FA Champagneā€¦ Iā€™ll go and read again your thoughts on RFā€™s just to get the right percentage! I love working with oranges!

5 Likes

And back at you! Looks like weā€™re covering similar ground at the momentā€¦

Iā€™ll be testing this one and a couple others soon, so I appreciate this!

The first part doesnā€™t surprise me for some reason (sadly). But the last bit definitely does.
MF orange was crazy strong my first outing with it at only a few drops (per 15ml tester). Iā€™m curious as to how much MF you used, as well as how long you steeped it?

I got pepper from TFA (regardless of how low I went), and Cap is very vanilla heavy IMO (lowest tested so far was at 4%, so Iā€™m hoping that may change at 2%). Especially compared to LB. But I may need to bump the LB a bit still (Iā€™ve got testers steeping at 4, 6, and 8%, but Iā€™ve only sampled the 4% one so far). LB is currently on deck, side by side with a retest of Cap @ 4% and, 6% (6 is where my notes say I last preferred it, but itā€™s been awhileā€¦ so a revisit was in order).

Hangsen is one I still need to work more with (in SFTā€™s) but I get some unique side notes from it, so IMO itā€™s not really suitable as ā€œjust an ice creamā€ base (at least with my current impression). Havenā€™t tried FW ice cream yet, but if things continue on the path theyā€™ve been on, Iā€™ll be needing to.

Thanks to everyone for the continued work on a tough flavor (great thread)!

2 Likes

Steep. 4-6 weeks as well as all of my mixes. I donā€™t do other testing.

As for range from 1-2 drops to a 15ml all the way to 0.75%. Happy place can be around 1-2 drops to 0.5%.

My challenge is to have a very orange tang/tangerine flavor with a wedge of icecream (not blended ice cream).

Fw ice cream is a bit more of a while vanilla icecream/whipped so I add vanilla as needed. Lb is too heavy for this wedge aspect with custard notes.

4 Likes

Rf blood orange has been shelved due to my interpolation if off notes and fading on long steeps. Itā€™s not a popular opinion, but felt blood orange fa was a better way to go. But yeah I canā€™t remeber anything more than that.

But for a boozy orange I would try and swap out for faā€™s and if you find that you are missing depth try 0.25% tangerine flv. I really like adding that to my orange mixes.

Still my favorites to date goā€¦
Orange mf
Tangerine flv
Orange shisha inw.
Blood orange fa and royal (royal sometimes is a bit of a thin flavor for me when pushed).
Orange fa and tangerine fa in some bakery mixes.

Orange wonder flavor wasnā€™t all that great (only did one test so I need another)
I also tried some of the OOO cream bar and popsicleā€¦found those to be a waste of moneyā€¦too many off and thin notes.

6 Likes

First off, love this thread. Great read Chris, appreciate your effort into highlighting this difficult fruit to work with.

ā€œHello, my name is Mausberg, and Iā€™m a blood-orange-o-holicā€

Iā€™ve got a few private recipes including several oranges and blood oranges.

To bring something new to the table, Iā€™ve recently been testing out a Brazilian Blood Orange by Solub Arome (french aroma company). I picked this one up when Chefs flavors had a sale on all SA aromas.

Which to me smells and tastes like a cross between Blood Orange (FW) and Sweet Tangerine (CAP).

It clouds any mix at 4.5%, but not at 2%, anectdotal like I tend to be, this could just be the result of me pumping a recipe with alot of other citrusy aromas. According to Solub Aromeā€™s own website, single flavour usage can be used at 8-10%. (They have since removed this aroma from their site alltogether).

My favourite blood orange so far is the FW one, which can be handled with some muters. The recent sugar daddy sweetner works for this, or at least have done the job well for me.

Just a simple tossed together mindmapping of a future recipe:

Brazilian Blood Orange (SA) 2.25% (alternative: pump fw blood orange to 1.5-2% and 0.5% lemonade flv)
Blood Orange (FW) 1%
Sweet Tangerine (CAP) 0.75%
Meringue (FA) 0.5%
Lemon (FLV) 1 drop per 30ml to pop the fruits.
Sweet Cream (CAP) 1.5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (CAP) 2%
SugarDaddy Sweetner 0.5%-1% (depending on the amount of mute you want, could possibly go higher)

Iā€™m tempted to try a cherry for softening the fw bo, like TPAā€™s cherry extract, but thats just me rambling. Pear (FA) could possibly also be a pairing to conciderā€¦ humā€¦ well yeah.

Cheers!

7 Likes

FA came out with a ice cream, but apparently itā€™s more of a gelato than ice cream.

I have not tested myself, but Iā€™m putting this here, because it might work for a not so heavy ice cream or non custard note ice creams.

I personally use TPA vanilla bean ice cream or/and TPA vanilla bean gelato , depending how ā€œheavyā€ i want it in fruit mixes. But Iā€™ve also added TPA vanilla swirl to it. Iā€™m not a pepper taster, and it works for me.

Otherwise in darker fruit or non fruit recipes, I use LB a
and/or FLV vanilla pudding, sometimes both and that works better then other actual ice creams for me.

Orange, well I tried oooā€™s and cap juicy orange as I started diy. It was a nightmare and I never touched orange again and probably wont lol.

I know this is a orange topic, but maybe the IC suggestions/ideaā€™s can be helpful.

3 Likes

Icecream notes are totally fine since Iā€™m chasing a full orange vape with a chunk/a bite whatever you want to call it vape. So this coming Labor Day Iā€™ll be ordering a few new ice creams and randomly drop in and orange. But the chase is funā€¦just slow because of my steep process and tons of other great vapes.

3 Likes

Im only a fan of drinking orange juice or eating an orange but i guess i wanted to see if i would like an orange vape so i bought mf orange a while back. I made this following recipe and thought it came out really good, orangey and creamy. It tastes like an ice cream orange soda, imo. Turned out i dont like orange vapes so most of this 30ml bottle is still sitting here 11 months later and is still the same

2 Likes

Probably my next best bet will be INW I have to add some shishas to my stash!

3 Likes

I thought adding persimmon was a good idea for body and thickness.
Youā€™re right, we do it for the chase and itā€™s great fun, sooner or later those unused flavors will be usedā€¦ maybe :joy:

2 Likes

Canā€™t remember everything you have tried but lately I have been using Mandarin MF with my MF orange for a really nice sweeter orange. I think that combo would be really good for a sherbet or orange ice cream.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty dang good assessment. I am currently here with my orange recipe of choice:

Summer Sunset :

0.35% Lemon (MF)
0.75% Orange (MF)
3.50% Orange Cream (TPA)
0.55% Vanilla (MF)
1.75% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA)

Flavor total: 6.9%

TPA OC is orangey and creamy, but, it is not orange enough and the orange notes are too crispy and rindey for me. The MF orange and lemon sweeten and round it very well, but even at 0.75% I think I could still push MF Orange into it more. And Iā€™m considering leaving out the VBIC as a test run to see how the creamosity factor feels.

Big fan of this thread, by the way. I used to like orange, but now that Iā€™ve got MF Orange, I love it and want more recipes.

7 Likes