Poll - Resistance Wire... What's Your Preference?

Lately been using 3-wire twisted Nichrome 32g in power mode and loving it on the drippers. Still using Ti on the tanks though.

3 Likes

Same here, but with kanthalā€¦use it in my Velocity mini w/ the Noisy Cricket (bypass mode) :grinning: Otherwise, Iā€™m a SS 316L guy.

4 Likes

I got my 22g SS 316L a couple days ago. My initial build was 5/4 wraps 3mm ID. It ohmed out at .12 and it jumped around a bitā€¦ up to .16. Also it wouldnā€™t stay in TC mode. I did spin this wire on the drill to straighten it and I thought that might have been the problem. So I pulled the wick and was about try a new build when I figured check the screwsā€¦ well they were a little loose. Once I tightened them and checked if TC would holdā€¦ it did. Itā€™s now ohming out at .09ā€¦ deep water. I wicked it slightly loose and itā€™s vaping nearly identical to the Ti deep water build.

Before I make my next comment, I want it understood that Iā€™ve vaped Ti exclusively for the last 8 months, so Iā€™m pretty sure what Iā€™m detecting is true. I do get a very slight metallic taste from the SS that I donā€™t get from Ti. But itā€™s very minor and not offensive.

I rate Ti 10/10 and SS 316L same gauge, same build 9/10.

This is just my opinion and as we all know taste is subjective.

9 Likes

Thank you sir for this review.

3 Likes

304 Stainless because I have safety wire by the pound!

3 Likes

Very interesting. :yum:

2 Likes

I donā€™t touch Ti or Ni wire, was kanthal only until recently, and got some 25g 317L wire. Loving it. 11 wraps, 2.5mm, or 9 wraps 3mm gives me 0.3 ohm duals, I donā€™t like to go any lower than that.

3 Likes

bumping up

2 Likes

I ordered some SS for the first time yesterday. Itā€™s only been kanthal for me since I started. Recieved a bunch of kanthal from my friend who paid it forward. Now Iā€™m looking forward to trying the SS. I donā€™t do TC so no need for Ti or Ni.

3 Likes

I have some 22g Ti, kanthal even gauges from 24-30, and nichrome80 30g.
I havenā€™t had much luck with the Ti myself, just not a big fan of such low ohm and tc honestlyā€¦ I prefer to stay between 0.3-0.6ohm so the 24g kanthal has been my main choice lately, tho more recently i have done a couple build with 3x twisted 30g nichrome80 with pretty satisfying results.
Ran out of prebuilt ss316 0.5ohm cubis coils for my AIO, so i decided to rebuild them and using 24g kanthal with 7 wraps works great in them. I dont have an rba for it, but the prebuilts are simple enough to redo so i havent bothered getting an rba yetā€¦ Once the rubber insulator gives out on them i will probably order a couple though.

2 Likes

Just found this website a few days ago, gotta say I love it over redditā€¦ I have been using SS316 exclusively for the past 5 months and now I gotta go order some 22g. How much are you spacing the coils?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Eventually I will have to try thisā€¦ Got 22g ss on the way now. Ill let you know how it is!

2 Likes

Sorry @Dan_ltz. I thought you were referring 22g Ti. Iā€™m sure this will work with SS also. I actually space my coils according to the deck size. IME (in my experience) spacing doesnā€™t really matter as long as your wraps arenā€™t touching. Itā€™s the number of wraps and coil ID that actually get you the ohmage you want. Iā€™ll probably revisit SS since Evolv has updated the SS profile.

4 Likes

As do I, im To0nMaN over there but spend most of my time here and in chat.

I just placed an order for some more 316L, my wire of choice, and decided to check Temco again. 250ft 24g and 100ft 22g was 18 bucks delivered.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to ELR!

7 Likes

Ditto that, and all I use is 26g SS316L.

2 Likes

Finally got around to trying it, I like the 22g but I cannot get the build to work right in temp control mode. I am using a cuboid and the limitless rdta plus. I might have to try Ti soon. I know it works better is temp controlā€¦ Flavor wise I cannot really tell a difference between it and claptons.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think contact coils is a problem at all with SS. In fact if it is then itā€™s completely escaping me as Iā€™m using it on the SMOK TF-RTA G4. I figure if it was a problem then a quad coil would certainly show it quick fast and in a hurry. Iā€™m getting a glorious vape in TC off this build and TC function from the new DNA200 firmware is amazing. Build is 4x 26ga 316L with 8 wraps and 2.5mm ID. I wind the coils on a jig and then dry burn/crimp before wicking. And just so you know itā€™s not a fluke, I have 3 of these identical set ups and all vape the same. FWIW.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean to imply there was a problem with SS contact coils. The distance between coils isnā€™t majorly important in a spaced coil. I think thatā€™s all that was meant, at least that was the sentiment I meant to echo. A 5 wrap stretched out to 4 mm from leg to leg isnā€™t terribly different than a 5 wrap stretched out to 5 mm. I wouldnā€™t worry about having those on either side of a dual coil dripper for example. But I would expect issues if I had a spaced 5 wrap on one side and a contact 5 wrap on the other. Consistency is a bit more important with contact coils, isnā€™t that why you crimp them?

Decided to retry Ti wire again. I was cleaning it with alcohol prep pads and not really liking it. I tried cleaning it this time with steel wool (actually a brillo pad) then a really good rinse, followed by the prep pad andā€¦wow! Uuuuuge difference in taste. Took about a 1/2 tank and the flavor just came shining thru. I used 24g dual spaced 0.15ohm in the Apache tank on a Cuboid,and 22g single spaced in the Bachelor tank on the Hohmwrecker G2. Both are outstanding.

1 Like