Poor flavor using Alien Kanthal - iJoy Limitless Plus

Hi Everyone,
I purchased the Limitless Plus after using only several Smok tfv8 Cloud Beasts because I wanted superior flavor. I also bought some kanthal alien coils!. Bought all from fasttech. My problem is that the alien limitless combo pops (even though the wicking is tight and I’ve watched numerous youtube vids) after taking awhile to heat up BUT the flavor is POOR !
Any ideas on what I could have done wrong?
I’ve changed the coils and wicked and re-wicked till I’ve got them working as best I can but flavor is nothing compared to my cloud beasts!!

1 Like

Question. Have you tried a different build? If not, put your favorite other build in there. If it’s good then it’s the poor quality of the wire. If that vape is poor off your favorite build then it’s the placement of the coil (too high/low etc)

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
It’s the first time I’ve used anything other than a pre-built coil. I had heard that wire from china could be bad quality. Hmmm. What build would you recommend for a first-timer…?
Using non-prebuilt coils I mean.

I’m pretty sure the placement of the coils and the airflow are correct as I’ve played around with these.

I don’t like the ramp-up time the coils take to work either or is this something you get used to with built coils?

1 Like

Flavor Issue:
It’s hard to tell from the angle of that pic but I think your coils are too low. You are most likely getting more air than vapor. You want to position them so that the airflow hits the coils from the bottom and side. If you put the top cap on and look through the air slot you want to only see the bottom 1/2 - 1/3 of the coil.

Popping:
What mod are you using? What is your wattage set to? Are you using Pre-Heat?

It sound to me like you are not heating the coil fast enough to vaporize the liquid. This can make it pop and spit pretty bad. If your device has a Pre-Heat function you need to turn it on. If not you probably just need to turn up the wattage.

2 Likes

Ahah, I think I’m seeing the just the bottom third of the coils through the airflow. They are side on btw.
My mod was the Smok alien 220watt plus I tried the smok g-priv. No preheat available.
I do have a Vaporesso Tarot Pro I could use…?
Watts set to 40. 50 and above gives me a dry burnt hit.

1 Like

I have soft, normal and hard available as settings. Are they like pre-heat?

1 Like

The hard setting is like a preheat. Not sure what the % is but it boosts the power for a second when you hit the fire button.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think you are way too low on power with that build. I vape dual coil fused clapton builds at 0.25 ohms with a minimum of 65-70 watts. Those coils have a lot of mass and really need power to get them hot. If you are getting dry hits above 50 watts I would say your wicking is too tight and choking off the juice flow.

3 Likes

I’ll give it a looser re-wick tommorow and see how it goes on the hardest setting with the g-priv. Thanks for the help. I’ll let you all know how it goes cos I really wanna get this right. I’ve heard so much about the flavor I owe it to myself to try ditching pre-built coils.

1 Like

Also, make sure that you don’t over stuff the juice holes in the deck. There has to be a little room for air to get in.

3 Likes

could i ask what wires were you using before this please?

1 Like

I’ve made sure I’ve got the small holes for airflow.
This is my first wire. First coils that aren’t pre-built. I was using Smok Cloud Beast TFV8…

1 Like

Watch a review on this limitless plus on YouTube. One of the better ones is Mike Vapes. He usually does a build and wicking tutorial for every different atomizer he reviews. He will tell you about coil placement and how much wick to use.

2 Likes

Will do. I’ve watched heeps but I don’t think that I’ve seen his. Thanks redscaddy :+1:

1 Like

Let’s me know if you get it right… after watching him

1 Like

Others have already said most of what I was also thinking, but regarding the wire:
I can see that they used a 32g wrap wire which is really way too thick, most claptons use 36g or even thinner wrap wire, so that might account for some of your issues.

Unfortunately it seems like most wire manufacturers use thick wrap wire, so if you want some proper clapton wire, you either have to make it yourself, or buy it from places like https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/ or http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/

You also shouldn’t underestimate simple round wire, especially when you are new to building. I also have some similar pre-made wire with 32g wrap, but I actually get better flavour when using round wire.

2 Likes

it don’t loook like a alien coil。this is alien coil。

2 Likes

I have those exact coils and they are not true aliens coils, They are just fused that say alien, there are also others that state that in comments and reviews on the site, they are still good coils though, I also use them in the Limitless Plus, and I can say they work very well if you have them placed right with airflow and wicked properly. Duel coils should ohm out to .20-.22 with those coils you should be getting plenty of vapor and flavor at 90-115 watts. Placement of coils and wicking are the key to the Limitless Plus, and all the Limitless RDTA’s for that matter.

I don’t mean to sound like a smart ass but those are actually staple coils. It is multi layer flat wire or ribbon wire wrapped with higher gauge wire. Fused Claptons use two or more round wire cores wrapped with high gauge wire.

1 Like

No Problem your right, The ones pictured a few post above are Aliens, Sorry I got my Staples and fused confused.

1 Like