Senior Vapors

Congrats John, love to hear success stories. Maybe that could be another thread if it isn’t already.

4 Likes

It was a very very long road to quitting. If I had only known. Vaping made it so easy.

3 Likes

High Vapage
Needs a lightning Bolt!

4 Likes

Greetings, and thanks for having me. First time poster, and recently turned 61. Was a pack+ a day smoker for 45 years. I haven’t had one in 6 weeks, since I started taking vaping more seriously. To be honest, it doesn’t even feel like I quit smoking. I can’t believe how easy it’s been, with vaping. I don’t even get a craving for a cig. Im using a MVP20 & Nautilus Mini combination, and loving it. It only took me a couple of weeks to realize I was going to blow my budget on eliquids. So I decided to go DIY and got the needed mixing gear, and have been making my own juice for 3 weeks or so. What a blast. It’s easy, and I’m actually turning out some darn good goo. This wonderful site gets a lot of the credit for that. I’ve absorbed so much great info here. Thanks to all those who have gone before me, and shared what they’ve learned. I’m strictly a tobacco flavor lover, and that’s what I’ve been experimenting with, at the mixing table. I still have a half a pound of my RYO tobacco left. I think I’m going to give tobacco extraction a try, and see what I can come up with (eyeballing the wife’s crock pot / slow cooker). Since I refer to my DIY juice, as my ‘goo’, I’ll close with an AC/DC title pun of my own.

‘Who Made Goo’

12 Likes

I thought I had changed my user name to Detroit Doug, but realized after my post, that it didn’t save. No biggie, I’m Doug, from Detroit.

5 Likes

Woot! Welcome @d_fabes! Good to have another tobacco fan in the forum!

I was a RYO fan as well for way too many years. Peter Stokkebye London Export was my favorite. Got some NET coming in this week, which will start my journey down the NET road.

I’d be interested in hearing about your extraction process. There are a couple of NET threads which have been started, so jump on in!

5 Likes

Thanks for the welcome and links, Jim. I didn’t waste any time. I had everything I needed, around the house. so I started my extraction attempt. 15 g of RYO tobacco, put it in a Ball (canning) jar and covered the tobacco with PG. I mixed and mushed it all together, and filled the slow cooker about 2/3 full, with water, turned it on low, put the Ball jar in, and went to work. I just turned it off, when I came home. Total cook time about 10 1/2 hours.

I waited until it cooled enough to lift the lid off the jar, and took a few sniffs. What an earthy tobacco aroma! I’m pumped. Going to do 2 more ‘cooks’ after it cools fully, and strain it through a coffee filter a few times, and let it steep for a couple of weeks, if my patience will hold out that long. It’s early in the process, but looking positive, so far.

Doug

5 Likes

Not to put a damper on things, but you really need to test your nic strength in your extracted product. if your steeping your tobacco like in cigarettes for flavorings.

2 Likes

Thanks Tut. I’d never consider a suggestion that helps point me in the right direction, a damper. It’s appreciated.

I’ve been following the extraction directions that I came across, at Vape Squad. It’s also listed for reference in one of the NET threads on this site, that Jim referred to in his links. It mentioned that the nicotine content was minimal, possibly 2 to 3 mg/ml. My intent is to use my extraction (hopefully) as a flavor concentrate, trying to add a bit more real tobacco taste. The directions I’m following, suggest mixing it at 20%, as a starting point. I was planning on starting at 10%.

Do I need to worry that the nicotine levels could be at dangerous levels?

Thanks for your input. I hope I’m not derailing this thread from it’s intended path.

3 Likes

I haven’t looked into extraction or anything myself, but just know in “the old days” of lets say subversive operations, nicotine poison could made by extracting the nic from cigarettes and used to remove an unwanted person. I don’t mean to move this conversation over to the morbid side but, thought it may be relevant, sorry to intrude in the topic thread.

2 Likes

If someone named Jane contacts you for your old recipe, it means my wife discovered I’m cooking tobacco in her crock pot.

Don’t give it to her.

7 Likes

Dr Farsalinos abstract;
"The study verified that tobacco-derived toxins are lower by orders of magnitude in e-liquids compared to tobacco products. Characteristically, nitrosamines were 146-1447 times lower in e-liquids compared to tobacco products (in 1 mL liquid compared to 1 gram of tobacco), while nitrate was 1360 times lower. NET liquids contained somewhat higher levels of tobacco-derived toxins compared to conventional e-liquids, but the levels were still significantly lower compared to tobacco. Deviation from labeled nicotine content was on average 5.9% for conventional e-liquids and 1.5% for NETs, with maximum deviation being 22.1%. Interestingly, no difference between conventional liquids and NETs were observed, indicating that the flavor extraction process does not lead to extraction of nicotine from the tobacco leaves."

8 Likes

Which is nice if your discussing the extraction using tobacco leaves, while I stated that the caution needed to be observed if the extraction was being dome with cigarettes. There are some people I’m sure whom may read the extraction of products and say to themselves that if they could do it with tobacco or tea, then they could do the same thing with a standard pack of stinkies. That is all I was attempting to point out.

5 Likes

59 years old
Smoked for 46 years most of that time 2 to 3 packs a day. Started vaping December 2014 and have been cigarette free now since around February 2015. Diagnosed 15 years ago with COPD and tried everything to quit but never could until vaping. Figured out very early on that DIY ejuice was going to be a must do thing for me to control the cost of vaping.

6 Likes

An empty syringe with nothing but air will do the trick as well.

3 Likes

And it is cheap! :grinning:

3 Likes

[quote=“Josephine_van_Rijn, post:16, topic:27893, full:true”]…Joined this site in march because there was a giveaway… been here ever since because it’s such a nice crowd to hang out with.
[/quote]

You got that right! I’ll take the ELR group over all the rest, 8 days a week :smile:

6 Likes

This. Then add a year, and a leap year… then jump through the stargate.

8 Likes

Hey Doug, Welcome from the Western side of the state. DIY is a blast and I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Let us know how your tobacco extraction comes out. I also experiment a lot with tobacco flavors, and you should look at some of @Jimk recipes. Tip: Use stainless steel for your coils, you won’t believe the flavor difference.

3 Likes

Hi Prof. Thanks for the welcome. The extraction process is in the 3rd, and last, round of the slow cook stage. Then I can start the straining part of the process. I didn’t plan on getting into NET this early in DIY, but the more I read about it, I found that I already had everything I needed, right here, so why not give it a whirl? I’ll definitely check out Jim’s recipes, thanks. I haven’t done any coil winding yet, but I’m sure that’s not far down the road, so thanks for the SS coil tip. I’m actually thinking a drip set up would be useful for easier testing of my mixes, compared to my present tank set up. My son in law is a big dripper, mod, coil winding fan. So I can hit him up for some parts, so I’ll put your SS coil tip to use soon, I’m sure.

3 Likes