Steep method shared by vendor

@fidalgo_vapes Just busting your chops Sir hehe

1 Like

I am going against the flow here, but this is the way I do it for my custards. I always let a bit of controlled oxidization of my nic happen to them. It adds something to the finished flavour for me. Wouldnā€™t be to everyoneā€™s taste but nothing nicer than black custard vaped in sensible amounts imho.

I also leave the bottle open to air for 24 hours if I use an alcohol based concentrate in a mix to let it evaporate first. It leaves a much smoother finished flavour once steeped imho as the alcohol can be so harsh in the finished mix on my throat for my tastes.

2 Likes

poster = one who posts in forumsā€¦in this case, me

I agree about the alcohol, it has a mean throat hitā€¦but oxidized nic has that too.

1 Like

It is only the custard and peanut butter mixes I deliberately allow gradual oxidization over a sustained period of time. I only vape it a tankful a time every couple of weeks as although the flavour is great, it gets a little heavy for me if vaped for sustained long periods if sub-ohmedā€¦

24 hours of breathing for alcohol flavours isnā€™t enough to cause noticable oxidization in my experience. But if it was, I would just add the nic after the 24 hour breathing period I had allowed for the alcohol to evaporate.

Day 1, Juice bottle sat with twist spout cap open.
Beginning day 2, twist spout is now closed and bottle is sitting on window sill awaiting cycle of sun across the horizon bathing the west facing window with a few short hours of direct sunlight.
Do you reckon he meant sunlight? Or any light? Fluorescent light? LED light? Full spectrum light?
JoJo? Are you there, mā€™lady? Any thoughts on this mysterious method Iā€™m chasing?
Bottle will rest on window sill unless we decide on something different.
Now, it is I, who awaits you, anxiously! ā€¦:hourglass_flowing_sand:

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually thinking you should send a detailed return email describing your steeping methods, I think they might learn something. In the meantime please donā€™t let the juice see the sun. You know thatā€™s all wrong.

2 Likes

In a round about way we have all heard of this. Read through the reddit posts by new vapers and they all want to leave the lid off and use light/heat to speed up the process.

One of my issues with the whole lid off thing are the wanted volatile escaping and the introduction of the unexpected, water. Unless one is doing thing in a controlled low humidity environment they run the real risk of adding water to the mix as VG is a fantastic desiccant, it is used as a humectant whoā€™s purpose it to draw in moisture.

With all that said i would be interested in just how much could be absorbed in a humid environment over a set period of time. Would it be possible for you to weigh after mixing and then again after the airing? Id run the test myself but im just getting back to town and have so much mixing to do.

4 Likes

I think the weight difference would be so small that youd then have to consider your scaleā€™s tolerance.

3 Likes

That is certainly possible but i would be interested to know, so much so that i will probably have to do the experiment myself when i have some free time.

2 Likes

I think sunlight sounds like the best option. Maybe in a lab you would have something like a UV light or such, but what could be better than good old fashion sun, right? You could try putting a desk lamp on it when the suns not on it. Surely he didnā€™t mean fluorescent lightā€¦that stuff will suck the life out of anyone and anything it comes in contact with.

1 Like

This topic about water absorption reminds me of the common myth, do not prepare mushrooms by using water to clean them, they soak up water. So people for decades peeled them, scrubbed them, all these time consuming methods. So some bright spark thought heā€™d test it. He prepared some the way he was taught, took ages. The others he rinsed under the tap and brushed much quicker.

Heā€™d weighed both before starting and then after to see how much water the mushrooms had absorbed when rinsed. Obviously I donā€™t remember the exact numbers. But it was next to nothing, basically the decades old belief was wrong and in kitchens all over the world apprentices collectively sighed a relief.

So with this in mind. When you state, oh do it this way because this. Where did you get this idea. Was it born from evidence or just something everyone passed down from generation onwards. Maybe itā€™s wrong, just because it makes sense in your mind, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s right. Always be open to being wrong.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I do.

32 oz of mushrooms absorbed 2 oz of water. :wink: Alton Brownā€™s my homeboy. :joy:

3 Likes

Has anyone ever used the method described?

We all say ā€œno thats badā€ but have we actually tried it?

I mean, the liquid goes darker because of nicotine oxidization anyway, whether you leave it in a dark cupboard or out on the sideā€¦

Maybe this is a steep method that should be looked into more thoroughly

2 Likes

No to sunlight, sunlight badā€¦ MmmKay?

Iā€™ve been mixing. . 3+ years now. Granted I mostly vape 0mg, but I vape about 600mg of nic a year too. I have NEVER had a juice turn brown, but I am careful to avoid introducing oxygen. Who knows, maybe my juice would taste better if it turned brown, but even my year old bottles are as clear as water unless the flavor had some color.

I dont know if its right, wrong, or red-herring, but thats the way it is for me. I do keep my house at 60-65 degrees though.

I do use a badger and/or static mixer and then USC for 30 minutes at 50C. I leave the caps loose until the bottle cools, particularly for alcohol extracts and then let time do its magic. The heat especially accelerates steeping of VG based flavors like Real Flavors.

One final thing, once I open a 30ml bottle, I never put the cap back on, so it stays open about a week. . .even leaving it in the car during the (new england) summer the juice does not turn brown (4-6mg/ml), in some cases the flavors get deeper over the week, but some do lose the high notes after a few days.

The only e-liquid I have ever had that went brown is Mothers Milk (about 5ml) and that was after 4+ months.

All of my e-liquid darkens after 1+ week and flavours definitely improve.

Every time you open a bottle you introduce fresh oxygen, itā€™s unavoidable unless your in a controlled environment.

For newer people:

Volatile flavours like fruits are fast moving so no lid equals loss of flavour.

Creams and custards are slower moving so they take a while to come to the front and can survive most long steep times.

Higher VG mixes are thicker therefore heat can thin the VG to help the ā€œblendā€ of other components.

5 Likes

By brown I meant darken. . .makes me think Iā€™m doing something wrong.

1 Like

Nah, it depends on what your flavours are