The war on nicotine

It’s a bit like preaching to the choir… if only non-vapers would think about this shit and see it for what it is

8 Likes

The US has an obsession with war. We’ve never had a war on drugs here, just a lot of education about it. The amount of addicts has gone down, it’s basically the same group of people getting older.

When it became known that AIDS was spread by needles the US banned them so more people were sharing the same needle because they were hard to get. A lot more people got infected that way, with an explosion of AIDS as the inevitable result.

We got needle exchange programs instead. Bring your dirty needle and get a clean one back.
Either the US government is really, really thick or they simply don’t want to learn because the benefits of a war outweigh the public health benefits.

15 Likes

Here is the article they are talking about - interesting read

7 Likes

We all know about it, thank God…
The effects of non-combusted nicotine by itself haven’t even been completely assessed yet… and burnt tobacco is gone and declining, they’ll realise it sooner or later.
Regarding kids, I’m happy to see my son at 25 vaping rather than smoking fags…

8 Likes

Nailed it $$$$$$$$$$

7 Likes

One thing glossed over in my mind here. People just starting the use of nicotine, vaping or otherwise need to know that they run a substantial risk of becoming dependant upon nicotine. It is naive to believe that a person will be able to use nicotine at home in the evenings only and just stop using it whenever they choose. In many cases, if not most, it is not long before the person is tethered to vaping device incurring the cost of a now habit. The efficacy of this kind of education is dubious as the mind of an adolescent is not fully developed and does not fully comprehend consequences.

8 Likes

yes and yes

5 Likes

This isn’t necessarily the case. I have a neighbor who needs to lose weight…she vapes 3mg only in the evenings to abate her evening snack habit while watching tv. She’s doing very well with it and has commented that she has no need or desire to take a vape any other time. She doesn’t even vape in the morning before work. She is a never smoker btw.

3 Likes

I do realize that. I have a friend who can smoke two packs a day for two weeks then crush the last pack and never think about it again. I know those people exist. I am not one of them.

8 Likes

Why not use 0 nicotine if she never was a smoker?

4 Likes

Stimulants can curb appetite, not just the sweet desserty goodness of a Strawberry Rutabaga Cheesecake vape :slight_smile:

7 Likes

She said her doctor suggested the nic when she talked to him about vaping.

8 Likes

People panic too easily, no one is going to take your vape stuff away in the U.S. It’s hyped up to get media coverage (Public awareness campaign) so people are aware to keep the stuff away from underage individuals.

Then @14:30 she shoots herself in the foot and puts vapeing in the most horrible light saying she has no problem with teenagers experimenting with vaping and compares it to Alchocl and marijuana.

I agree experimenting it is the reality, but no one wants to hear it put that way, or that she is for teenagers experimenting with alcohol marijuana and nicotine.

Vaping needs a better spokesperson who looks out for cautions and parents and teenagers interests first, if it’s going to get any good public relations.

2 Likes

Take away? Over regulate, over tax, restricting use and media hype in the form of lies and mis- information is to some the same outcome. Panic? maybe if more would stand in opposition the ruling mob would back off. Long history of those not speaking up being bitten in the ass later on.

9 Likes

Maybe that’s American culture, I’m more in favor of facing/dealing with reality. There are enough examples of countries that do it that way and it’s comes with positive results. If you look at the track record of the war on drugs, you better go get some tissues coz you’re going to cry a river. It’s been proven over and over again, for years, decades, how terrible it is to deny reality.

6 Likes

It is cultural for sure. Not sure it’s confined to the U.S. though. Here “escape” is a huge marketplace, from selling vacations to drugs. I’m with you, I acquired the skill somewhat later in life but dealing with shit as it occurs is something I have come to very much enjoy and appreciate the skill set. When I find it difficult to live in my own head as it naturally exists there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

7 Likes

You can bet it isn’t… I live in a country where they like to stick their head in the sand. Even if the rest of the world is shouting “you can come out now”, our politicians keep replying “but we’re fine down here”

3 Likes

It’s sad unfortunately seems to be and as long as I can remember, been about the Almighty dollar. If it’s cured the U.S. Make no monies. Just my personal opinion

5 Likes

Dunno where you get your info, but we’ve had exchange programs around for awhile too.

5 Likes

That was many years later when the damage was already done and came too late for a lot of people.
The knee-jerk reaction was to abolish needles.
We got needle exchange programs the moment it became known how the disease was spread.

6 Likes