Tired of remixing recipes

Lately ive been making people recipes that are not clones but what i call remixes , they bring me a bottle which they bought at a store and paid 15 to 25 dollars for and then ask if i could make something similar , and i always say ya sure , usually my mixes come out better but there are two definate down sides to this 1) i have to vape nasty commercial juice lol and 2) i put time into creating something for free that they dont want to pay for because they think i just enjoy doing this for them lmao , here is my other problem im a sucker and feel bad for saying no and for charging them what would any of you do ??? i. almost thinking of charging 10bucks for 30ml since they are willing to pay the stores shouldnt i charge ???

18 Likes

That sounds completely reasonable to me. Were you making juices for me, I would be paying you regardless without you having to ask. So I donā€™t think it at all unreasonable for you to charge people for a service and product you provide them.
Just tell them in advance that you will be charging them $X.XX to clone(remix) the juices they are bringing you. Tell them it is to cover the costs of the supplies you use as well as your time.
If they donā€™t like it, or get upset about it, fuck 'em. Tell them to go have somebody else clone their overpriced ,poor quality juice for them.

18 Likes

Exactly. A fair charge for your time and materials is not at all out of line.

12 Likes

I too agree as have friends that think I must get my supplies for free,lol. Would be nice but NOT. I charge $10 bucks flat as well and make it up on pretty much demand for a few but they donā€™t get it as the time, supplies, care, etcā€¦I know Iā€™m preaching to the choir but Iā€™d charge OP for sure unless you got that much $$$$$ and if you do, I need some juices,lol. J/K.

10 Likes

Itā€™s only fair especially if youā€™re mixing something you donā€™t normally like yourself. Donā€™t feel bad about mentioning to someone the third or fourth time they ask, that youā€™re going to start charging a small service charge and mixing fee to cover your expenses. If they donā€™t come back then youā€™ve ditched a free loader you could well do without.

15 Likes

i charge $10 per 30ml. its a pain in the ass to deal with people as you are aware. however, the little bit of cash adds up to fuel your expensive hobby

8 Likes

I would charge extra to copy a juice for someone for sure. That takes time and effort, not to mention ingredients and bottles that cost money!! And you should most definitely be charging at least something for making juice for friends. I think any real friend would understand covering your costs.

12 Likes

Absolutely you should say how about contributing to my supplies a 10$ fee is worthy of your time and stash ! Itā€™s awesome that your so good natured but everyone has a limit.

9 Likes

Donā€™t feel bad charging them when they ask you to make something. They should start with ā€˜how much to makeā€™ something similar, supplies arenā€™t free.

Or you could

8 Likes

It depends sometimes I think. How good of a friend are they? I have friends here I have sent liquids to without charging. I have business opportunities elsewhere and make a pretty penny doing so. It costs time, effort, and I am doing them a service. If it is for a true friend then it is my passion and love of what I do that gets me my satisfaction. I love what I do. I love to create new things sometimes. Is it all the time. No, but when my mixing skills are up I create tons of different things. Right now I have 5 coffee cans full of steeping items. I get into a frenzy sometimes. I love it. My cupeth runeth over some times. Lol.

In short, I guess it depends on how you interpret your level of friendship. If they are true friends they might chip in a few bucks.

10 Likes

Things that I do as a hobby are always soiled by making them a business. Havenā€™t tried it with e-juice. One of my hobbies is mixing and mastering music. People started asking if I would record their bands. Sure I thought. Booobooo!!! ā€œIs it done yet?ā€ ā€œCan we add another track?ā€ " I want to hear more guitar" ā€œCan you fix our mistakes?ā€ ā€œCan you add a Merrowwwichesssreach here?ā€ I donā€™t do that any more. I am enjoying my hobby again.

10 Likes

I think it all depends on the situation, Iā€™ve voluntarily ā€œremixedā€ a commercial flavor for folks that are still trying to quit smoking and are complaining about the expense of the good liquids. Thatā€™s just my way to help them stay stocked up on juice that they actually want to vape while they are still transitioning away from smoking. Once a person has completely quit smoking and they happen on a commercial flavor they really like and ask for a clone, I agree to build them a recipe at my cost which is closer to $8 for a 50 ml bottle on average but can be more depending on the number of ingredients and how strong they prefer it. In the US, you should keep in mind that if your making juices for a profit, the FDA deems you to be a Manufacturer and a distributor and could be knocking on your door if things get out of hand. I primarily stick to making liquids only for close friends and family and they always insist on covering my costs, they also realize I will make their juice at my leisure when itā€™s convenient for me, I donā€™t do rush orders.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a tough question, one Iā€™ve struggled with most my life. Iā€™d fix someoneā€™s car and they would complain about the bill and my default reaction was ā€œwhatever you think is fairā€ and Iā€™d take the loss. The problem is that there are people who will take advantage of you repeatedly once you let them and those people look for kindhearted, generous people to exploit. My two neighbors are the prime example. It went from ā€œcan you give me a hand for a minuteā€ and ā€œcan I store some stuff in your barnā€ to donating 2-4 hours of free labor every week and my barn providing free storage, filled with someone else junk. It got so that I was instantly angry as soon as one of the mooches pulled up my driveway because I knew I was going to be taken advantage of again. I finally wrote up a bill for storage and gave it to the one and told the other one ā€œsorry, I canā€™t afford the timeā€. Long story short, if you feel anger it is a warning sign telling you to stop and find the cause and rectify the situation. What helped me to begin changing was the realization that when someone asks you to do something for free they are really calling you worthless. Youā€™re not worthless, they are.

10 Likes

I mix for my sister and two of her sons and donā€™t charge anything for it. As long as I got enough supplies that is. If I would be financially hard up and needed supplies they would have no problem chipping in to cover the cost but as a rule I donā€™t charge family.
One of my nephews tried to get me to mix for his friends for money but I said no cause I just donā€™t want the headache.
I donā€™t want any hassle about them not liking the juice after all or other such BS.

4 Likes

Sell them some ready-to-vape flavorless liquid and a flavor base with an even mixing % - then teach them to do 20% of your base and top it off with your base :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I used to give away a ton of juice, but my mixing time is not as much a priority anymore. I do still mix for a few folk and charge $10 per 30ml. When someone asks me to ā€˜cloneā€™ something for them, I need to change my priorities and charge $50 and make it clear I only promise to do my best. There are no refunds.

Your time IS worth something. But, itā€™s up to you how you prioritize it.

9 Likes

I only have one person other than myself I mix for. I charge my sisterā€™s baby daddy $5 per 100ml plus the cost of shipping, which is close to at cost. That allows him to afford good juice and me to afford mixing for him. But Iā€™m just going by other peopleā€™s recipes, so itā€™s not like Iā€™m taking the time to develop or clone/remix a juice and having to go through that process. If Iā€™m liking some new recipes Iā€™ve recently mixed, Iā€™ll throw some 10ml samplers in there at no extra charge to see how he likes them. Iā€™d do the same for other family or very close friends. But Iā€™d probably increase the charge for friends who arenā€™t as close. $10 per 30ml for the requests is fair imo. Hell, Iā€™d think itā€™d be fair to do $30+ for the first time you clone their request and then something like 50-60ml for $15 after you have the recipe down. If they donā€™t like it there are plenty of budget vendors out there that they can try.

5 Likes

I have a few ā€œcustomersā€ who are more than happy to pay $5/30ml. Itā€™s dirt cheap for them and it covers my costs no problem. Iā€™d start there, plus an extra fee to copy/remix a specific juice. You could always have them place a flavor order for you in exchange for a couple bottles of juice.

4 Likes

i appreciate all the feed back , it all is great as usual i do have some people close to me who always surprise me with a 250ml of nicotine or a pack of new bottles etc which is better than money imo , the thing that drives me craziest is when a person is out of juice and they want a juice that needs to steep so while it steeps they go spend an absurd amount lol , i will start charging those who arent close to me and go from there unless im helping someone quit smoking then ill let them know if you continue to smoke after two weeks ill charge and after two months smoke free ill charge as well

8 Likes

yes ive done that with nicotine because thats the thing i need to always have especially those who are still having issues staying away from ciggs at 12mg nic lol

5 Likes