Tobacco Recipes

That’s the ones.

1 Like

Making single flavor test batches is a huge benefit, to get to know the tobacco flavors. I usually do 7 to 10 ml or so, at 5% on my test batches. I don’t know a better way to get an idea what each flavor will bring to the table, when you start combining them.

2 Likes

If / when you do a single flavor test batch of the Arabic, start at 3% and work up, if necessary.

Arabic has a…well…wild personality.

Edit: Maybe complex personality is a better term. Lots of notes that can be missed, or covered up, when mixed too strong.

2 Likes

Wild… Complex… You got that right.:wink: How ever you want to describe it, I find it’s one of my “go to” tobaccos for many mixes.

2 Likes

I still remember my first test batch with Arabic at 10%

Made my nose hairs fall out.

3 Likes

Does it taste anything like the arabic cigarettes that are just a leaf rolled up with a string tied around it? I smoked one of those years ago and it was very different, but quite good. The flavor would be hard to describe.

I’ve never had one of those rolled up cigs, but you nailed it with…

‘Very different, but quite good. The flavor would be hard to describe’

I use it as a complimentary flavor tobacco, and love what it adds. It’s very good.

Hehe… I seem to remember that post! Thus, I took your experience and did my test batch at 3%! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m a 5% test batch person myself, typically. My rule of thumb is… If the flavor doesn’t pop at 3 to 5%, most likely, it won’t be a tobacco I use very often.

2 Likes

Cool. I had all of these tobaccos in my carts at the various sites a few weeks ago but had to back out because of some customer orders that required lots of other flavors to be restocked. So I am adding a bunch of tobaccos to carts around the country now and come wednesday I will be pulling the trigger on about $150 worth of tobacco flavors. This is going to be so much fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another question,
Do you guys find pg/vg ratios make much of a difference with tobacco flavoring? I am currently mixing most of my recipes at 80/20. But 70/30 is ok for me as well.

2 Likes

I’ve never jumped around much, with my PG/VG ratios. I started at 50/50 when I first got into DIY, simply because I had to start somewhere. Tried 70/30 for a little bit, and moved to 60V / 40P a while ago, and just stayed there. I’m a tootie puffer (9.5 W & 1.6 ohm coils) MTL only. Guess it’s just a matter of where you find your comfort zone. I can’t say that the small changes I made in PG/VG ratios played a big difference in tobacco flavor.

1 Like

I mix 40PG/60VG.

@daath said at one point, long ago, PG is a better flavor carrier. Well, it is. I tried max VG for a long time, paying him no mind😔…all my tobacco mixes seemed very “flat” and unenjoyable. Why? I wondered. The reason… I wasn’t using a carrier which “enhanced” the tobacco and made it pop.

As soon as I started using a high ratio of PG in my mixes, the tobacco flavor was off the charts.:grinning:

Moral of the story: Don’t discount the word of veteran mixers until you give it a try yourself; you’ll save yourself a lot of frustration and suffer through a lot of tasteless mixes.

Want proof? Mix a test batch of any tobacco at 5%; one, with 100% VG; one, with 100% PG; one, with 50PG/50VG… Tell me your results after the test. :thinking:

4 Likes

tobacco n vanilla mix it’s awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup! :wink: I like the combo very much.

Welcome to the forum @Royen! :grinning:

What’re you mixing with these days?

1 Like

Work in progress, but after a 24hr open air cure session, it tastes pretty darn good on a dripper; a couple of weeks on the steep shelf will only improve this mix. :grinning:

1 Like

I happen to have all of the flavours to mix this one up :grinning:

1 Like

I have high hopes for it! :grinning:

…mixing inspiration from reading cigar and pipe tobacco reviews. :thinking:

1 Like

Poop, I’ve just found out I have no FA cocoa, I have INW brandy cocoa though, I will just use that instead :grinning:

1 Like

Nice work around/improvement! :wink:

1 Like

I figured a little bit of brandy wouldn’t clash with the rum :yum:

1 Like