What about vaping for medicinal benefits?

In Oklahoma allergens are ALWAYS bad. In the Spring in Oklahoma many people become ill from dealing with the effects. My husband has to stay under a humidifier with Vicks Vapo Steam just to function…

Since I have idle time on my hands waiting for my brews…er, um… vape mixes to cure, I’ve been thinking (not always a good thing) about concocting something that would be act like a nebulizer or medical mister. Seems to me they work on similar if not identical principles…

Anyone ever try adding camphor and menthol to say 80% VG / the rest distilled water, camphor and menthol?

1 Like

Just to clarify, you are looking to add something to a humidifier and not to vape, correct?

I think the OP wants something to vape that would act like a humidifier/nebulizer. I personally just vape and squirt lots of saline as needed… not enough saline apparently as I had a monster nosebleed this morning.

I’ve never heard of anyone vaping camphor and most times it comes as an oil which is not good to vape oil.

Here is a recipe for a great vape that may help

5 Likes

@CronesCauldron ; you might want to do a bit of in-depth research on the usage of camphor for medicinal use. Camphor is basically manufactured from turpentine oil. From what I know, it can be used for aromatherapy at 1 tablespoon per 1 quart of H2O. However, I would be very skeptical and wary about camphor being adding to a vaping base mixture. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Camphor is super toxic, please don’t try to vape it. Try this instead. http://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavor/3676

Maybe with a little added menthol and some saline.

5 Likes

Also there’s this place. I’ve never ordered from them but I have them bookmarked.

2 Likes

My allergies are awful here in the south
If you find something please let me know
I have tried it all 2 sinus surgeries and countless medications
It has plagued me my whole life
Saline I hear helps the sinuses haven’t tried yet though
Went to Arizona for 2 weeks one time they really were better
No humidity was great

No, I’m actually trying to figure out what I might vape to help with the complications of super allergies… Seemed to make sense, but on reading the responses from my question tell me camphor wouldn’t be a good choice. Several other suggestions seem like good possibilities though.

it helps, to some degree, and is cheap so try it. it is on my shopping list to restock. I rarely needed it before I started vaping but now I use it at least a few times per day, during the winter/dry months I use it more

3 Likes

Thank Mizzz_Z_Hobbit. Some good ideas have come from this post. <3

years ago, I attended a home show and there was a guy selling bee pollen. It just so happened that my allergies were really out of whack that day and they guy asked if I was an allergy sufferer. He suggested the bee pollen and instructed me to take just the tip of a teaspoon (1/4 to 1/3) daily. He explained that the pollen from local bees (very very important tht it come from local bees) carry most of the allergens that we react to and by taking them a little at a time we can develop an immunity to them. He also said that it didn’t work for everyone, but that it had a high success rate. I took it until the jar was empty and the next season…no allergic reactions. Never had another reaction until after I moved out of state and even now it doesn’t get too bad. You might want to give it a try.

5 Likes

I found this article in addition to the other suggestions from this post… Promising even though I know some suggest NOT vaping anything with oil. I don’t usually vape oil, but in small, very small, applications, the benefits may outway the negatives… Thanks everyone for chiming in.

"Do you suffer from seasonal allergies? If so, you aren’t alone. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), approximately 40 million Americans experience seasonal/perennial allergies. And with the spring season now here, many people are gearing up for the harsh months ahead. The good news, however, is that you can relieve the symptoms of seasonal allergies by vaping certain types of oils and herbs.

Vaporizers are small, portable devices that heat oils and herb just enough to create a plum of breathable mist-like vapor. Whether it’s a conduction or convection model, they have precise heating mechanisms to ensure the material isn’t burned. Since there’s no fire, vaporizers don’t produce smoke, nor do they produce the thousands of harmful chemicals found in smoke. This makes them an excellent tool for consuming essential herbs and oils.

It should come as no surprise that sinus congestion is one of the most common symptoms associated with seasonal allergies. When a person is exposed to pollen or some other type of allergen, his or her immune system responds by producing an abundance of inflammatory hormones. These hormones in turn lead to sinus congestion, as the nasal passages swell and become inflamed. You can relieve the nasal pressure of seasonal allergies by vaping tea tree oil. As noted by the health website LiveStrong.com, vaping just a couple drops of this essential oil will open the nasal passages, allowing you to breathe just a little easier at night.

Of course, tea tree oil isn’t the only oil that’s effective in combating seasonal allergies. Thousands of allergy sufferers have also reported success when vaping peppermint oil. Aside from its delightful flavor and aroma, peppermint oil is a powerful antioxidant that works to fight harmful chemicals in the body known as free radicals. When free radicals are left unchecked, they can damage or destroy otherwise healthy cells. Furthermore, there’s some belief that free radicals can lead to cancerous formations. Thankfully, these chemicals are easily controlled with antioxidants like peppermint oil. It eliminates free radicals while soothing the symptoms of seasonal allergies.

Commonly found in cold medicine, eucalyptus oil is a third type of oil that may prove beneficial in treating seasonal allergies. It opens the airways, soothes the throat, and relieves body aches and pains."

found on http://vapesrush.com/blog/suffering-from-seasonal-allergies-try-vaping-these-oils/

2 Likes

I would put a tiny bit of oil into a vaporiser in a room because the % of inhaled oil would be extremely low. Putting a few drops into a tank is not advisable as you will get far more into your lungs and may risk getting pneumonia (it is apparently very rare).

Personally I wouldn’t do it but if you are going to do it make sure you know exactly what is in the oil you add and be extremely careful.

3 Likes

Thanks woftam… Maybe the room vaporizer is the better choice.

1 Like

My allergies are awful here in the south

Man everything is covered in gold down here now.

1 Like

Something that confused me early on and still confuses me a bit, is that some companies refer to their flavors as oils even when they will say ‘water soluble’ which can’t really be the kind of oil that’s unsafe to vape. When it comes to eucalyptus and peppermint I think it’s the plant esters that carry the medicinal effect whether the flavor is carried in oil or PG so Inawera Eucalyptus is okay but Lorann’s is not so much. Capella Peppermint is my favorite for taste but I’m not sure if it’s using all natural extracts or artificial.

1 Like

Drains all my energy some days I hurt all over from fighting it

1 Like

This may be dumb, and I should probably know more about this, but… What about ‘breathing treatments’ that are used for treating asthma and lung conditions? They are a cool vapor mist delivered from a device that the patient pulls into their lungs. I know that there is medication, steroids or whatever is prescribed, but isn’t the ‘cool mist’ the delivery vehicle? I’m confused about how the medical use for ‘cool mist’ is alright but somehow changes when the mist or vapor is used recreationally, or am I missing something important here? And, what’s in the nebulizer that is delivering the medicine? Is it VG, PG, water, something else? Anyone know about this?

I think (and am no means 100%) but the carrier in a nebulizer is for the most part sterile water