What Coil Build do you prefer?

I did a few vertical coild builds on my Kayfun some time back. Difference is, the Kayfun “funnel” type chimney unscrews from the chimney base. So I did the build, put the bottom portion of the chimney on, then tucked cotton ever so carefully down to the deck and aroung the coil so that the air intake went through the center of the coil. Worked like a champ it was just a pain in the ass to rewick. I don’t even know where that Kayfun or Orchid is these days. Hmmmm :smile:

2 Likes

Honestly , with all the new advancement in vape tech …I still find myself gravitating towards my orchids and taifuns, not that they are better but for pure simplicity and functionality . Great flavour is the name of the game and with a titanium coil in my taifun it seems I’m left wanting for nothing .

1 Like

Currently 3 strands of 26ga twisted and in a dual coil in my Twisted Messes RDA at .3 ohms. Not insane low, but it really chucks the flavor at 45-50w with the AFC choked down a bit. LOVING IT! They are kind of gunked up atm, so I’ll not show a pic. LOL

1 Like

Thought you might want to know the link you posted for the ss wire now says “Discontinued Item”. Guess too many people found out the deal on G-plat. So they took it off. Lol
Myself I just like doing a simple 2.0-2.2 dual coil 34ga. . Well, their not that simple but I feel I get the best flavor so far.

1 Like

I have heard about the SS wire, but don’t know where to get it. What kind is best for coil building and vaping. Can you post a link where to buy SS wire… thank

SS317L wire.

Depending upon where you live you could get it on Amazon, eBay or a website called

www.wireandstuff.co.uk

1 Like

So which has better quality properties, 316L or 17L?

1 Like

TBH @Pro_Vapes is probably better to answer this.

I’ve only just started rediscovering SS again as I initially found it quite metallic but I wasn’t cleaning it before use.

Next build in my Billow is going to be a spaced wrap 317L build so I’ll be better to answer more about it.

But from what little I know is that I think 317L is the better grade for our use.

CMJ

2 Likes

That would depend on how you look at it. Chromium, Nickel and Molybdenum contents are slightly higher in the 317L in comparison to 316L. This means there is less chance of corrosion due to these higher contents however it also means it has higher nickel content if this bothers you…

3 Likes

https://www.etsy.com/listing/113198082/round-jewelry-grade-stainless-steel-wire?ref=listing-shop-header-2. I’ve talked to these folks and all gages of wire through 26g is 316 SS, their 28g is 304 SS. My coils are just standard coils, I go to http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=ss316&r=0.5&hfnw=31&awg=26&id=2.5, put in the parameters they ask for, and wind my coils according to their recommendation. My usual SS coil is 26g, 2.5mm inner diameter, with about 7 turns. Always comes out to around .5 ohms. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I will stick with the 316L. I have nothing but rave for this wire.

(breaks out glow sticks)

2 Likes

I also lean towards the 317L. If I’m not mistaken it’s the same as the GPlat.

2 Likes

Fasttech claims to sell higher gauges in 316L

1 Like

I also believe this is correct…

1 Like

Anybody have a good source for 317L? What’s the difference between 316L and 317L?

My personal preference is 316L. The 317 had a very slight metallic taste to it that built up in my mouth after a day of vaping. The flavor of the juice itself was about the same though. I’ve read that others had the exact opposite experience, so yeah, try them both and see which works better. I usually buy the 26g and wrap it around a 2.5mm rod. With the 3mm ID, I usually get hot juice pops. What I love about SS is that simple builds are fantastic. No real need for elaborate builds (although a clapton with NI80 outers are pretty good). Ebay has SS wire in abundance for a reasonable price. I think I paid about 6.00 and change for a 50ft roll.

1 Like

I definitely want to try that build. Lotta smaller coils it seems to me would heat up more quickly than one long piece of wire. I’m noticed if I make too many wraps I must wait for the coil to heat up. I can also get a second hit on a long-wired coil. I don’t like that. but I think this setup might remedy that situation.Oh my ju st thought… I wonder what it does to ohms? too low?

(Resurrecting a thread from the past)

So now that significant time has past, what is everyone’s favorite coil build? Just getting into this myself and looking for others opinions. I’m more of a flavor chaser than a cloud chaser.

I’ve settled on 22 or 24g titanium with a 3mm or 2.5mm ID depending on how much room on the deck. The only other builds would be Clapton’s in the Velocity, Temple or YEP RDAs. Those are usually a 316Lwith NI80 or Kanthal wraps. I like to go in hot with those…

1 Like

Titanium is he one wire I don’t have, YET. Right now I have been buying pre-built wire in addition to single wire until I learn how to do my own building of claptons, etc. Just trying to see what I like first.

As of now, I have:
Single wire:

• Kanthal - 24g & 26g
  • SS 316L - 26g & 28g
  • N80 - 26g
  • Ni200 - 26g

Twisted 3x28g Kanthal

Clapton Wire:

• Single 26g/32g Kanthal
  • Parallel 2x26g/32g Kanthal
  • Parallel 2x28g/32g Kanthal
  • Twisted 2x28g/32g Kanthal

It’s giving me a bit to work with and playing around on Steam Engine with different configurations.

2 Likes