ELR Home   Create recipe   Resource page   My recipes/favorites

What is this thing called?


These clips are in a folio cover for my tablet but I want to buy smaller ones to make a custom phone case. The problem is, I have no idea what they’re officially called. Corner clips, tablet clips or any kind of name I can think of Googling all turns up a dozen different WRONG things.
Corner clip 1 - Copy

With a Papermate pen for scale…

Corner clip 2 - Copy

I know I’ve seen them used for other things but I can’t remember exactly what. The minute someone tells me I’m probably gonna face palm from this brain fart but until then I’m pulling my hair out. :crazy_face: HALP!


:wave: perhaps u can use a magnetic one instead since its custom. I saw this but not sure if they even make it anymore:

Gl to you!


Thanks Jesse @worm1. Those kind won’t work with the project I have in mind though. I need to know the proper name for what these exact things are.


I’m looking lol now I’m curious and it’s driving me CRAZY!!


Thanks! I’ve been reading the descriptions of tablet covers that use these but googling the terms they use turns up nothing even close.


Personally I would just bend some up out of coated wire.


Appears to be a J hook used on straps


Thanks @David5362! Sadly, Google does not agree. :thinking: So far the closest thing I’ve found is a heavy duty hook and eye but it’s still not exactly what I need. It would take a lot of fiddling to make it work.


if u could find, perhpas those old school rubber book straps that u wrapped a round a few school books and hooked on themselves


More exactly a RAVE Hook https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAif2TlMnVAhUBxYMKHQFmCyYQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fancranz.com%2Fshop%2FCARGO%2BCONTROL%2FHARDWARE%2FHooks%2F-45228-10-1.html&psig=AFQjCNEDsEqwgSaB6TvzpyHfBNTrG3lyhg&ust=1502333930953911


Oooh! Those are close enough that I could easily use it! Thanks!


good deal, the tie hooks did come to mind used for rachet straps bu never seen shaped like that…


These are the closest ones I’ve found.

The rave hooks would be easier to fasten the elastic part to but may be harder to bend if the inside diameter isn’t exactly right. I really need one side to be longer than the other as the hook from the hook and eye is.


u cant bend those rave hooks, they made for rachet tied downs


Do they come in a fine enough gauge for a small cell phone though? A friend of mine said if I get the right size of the hook and eye he can uniformly bend the circle ends around the way I need them so I need to hit the craft stores this week. It’s still really annoying me that I can’t find the exact name of exactly what kind of clips these are. I know I’ve seen them used for other things relating to crafts, fabric or upholstery.

Thanks for all your help! If anyone really does find the name of the exact clips I’m still interested, for the sake of my sanity if nothing else, lol. :smiley:


what about hook and eye - thinking small metal hooks on bras…


I like the way you think.


The hook and eye pic I posted is meant for heavy winter coats, lol. Try to keep in mind, this is for a cell phone. The hook part needs to be much bigger and wider spaced than the hooks on a bra. Then again, I don’t know the kinds of women you might know. They may very well need industrial sized hooks on their melon hoisters. :rofl:


Trouser hook?


You know… If I started a thread called “what is this thing called” it would go straight down the gutter and get put in the naughty part of the forum.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I guess there’s still time for it to go there… :smiling_imp: