You Need To Be Aware Of This

LG batteries are sending Cease and Desist orders to vape vendors. See link to youtube video. https://youtu.be/Zpl8XiTNwrA

2 Likes

I see why they might want to do this for future liability, but it truly makes no sense. I see this more as a move to change the subject. If you really think about it, in the early days there were general warnings about vape equipment but nothing truly specific from any manufacturer regarding the batteries.

This isn’t going to change their level of liability with the older stuff out there that carries no viable warning on the packaging.

1 Like

You could see this coming a mile away with all the lawsuits directed at battery manufacturers after someone puts batteries in their pocket or totally ignores ohms law.

5 Likes

Sad indeed to see a mind-set that runs to a lawyer right away looking for compensation, or to point the blaime. Do they ask themselves “was this caused by something I did or didn’t do?” Always somebody elses fault. Mods aren’t plug and play devices like electric toothbrushes or hair dryers. Don’t these people have any curiosity about their mods and what makes them tick, or at least about the batteries? Takes 2 minutes to look up something on the web these days. Sometimes sheeple just amaze me.

6 Likes

Well, LG isn’t the only 18650 battery manufacturer … I normally purchase the purple EFest brand …

1 Like

This is also one of the reasons when I am reviewing a battery on the battery site where I purchase them, I am careful not to list the application in which it is used, because the site clearly lists what they are and are not intended for.

3 Likes

Efest isn’t a battery manufacturer? They are a reseller/rewrapper of other manufacturers batteries.

4 Likes

You have to understand their point of view. 18650 batteries are not intended to be used as loose batteries. They are designed to be used in a battery pack that has a protection circuit. From their point of view the Vape manufacturers should be designing and implementing battery packs if they want to sell devices with removable batteries. Whether or not you agree with this is a moot point.

This industry has done a pretty poor job educating consumers on the risks that a high drain battery can pose. There are some really stupid people in this world but their are also people that just don’t realize the potential hazard of these batteries. I have seen Vape shops sell people batteries that have been tested to perform well below the ratings printed on the wraps without even telling people how to handle them safely.

Remember, all of us here are a small minority of Vapers that take an interest in learning more about our devices. How many of you bought your first device and didn’t really know much about it?

11 Likes

All of the Lg’s have been pulled fro IMR’s website… Bummer :weary:

2 Likes

Well, that’s the type I have and use. I’ve never had any problems with them.

2 Likes

The problem is with mooch’s tests on these batteries (purple Efest and any rewraps).They were labeling their batteries with false information and over inflated ratings. This is very dangerous for use in mech mods etc where you have to know the battery rating in order to use them safely. I hear they are using more accurate numbers now but thats pretty shady when our safety is at stake. And this is all too common with battery rewrappers. It can be VERY dangerous.

6 Likes

If you are using these in a regulated device they are much safer (regulated devices) because regulated devices have safeguards against things such as shorts etc… Shorting a charged battery is a good way to get an explosion in your face or pocket, Most cases of exploding batteries are user errors not mfr error. For the record I am not saying regulated devices are 100% safe because they can fail also. We have seen members of this site with Efests that have failed in regulated devices.

3 Likes

1 down, 3 left. Who knew we were in a golden age of batteries.

4 Likes

Is there any proof of this though? I don’t see anything about it other than this youtube vid… also he said illumn pulled LG, but they’re still there.

http://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries.html?___store=default&brand=244

3 Likes

https://www.imrbatteries.com/18650-batteries/

1 Like

Looks like there may be a Tesla in my future with an extra battery pack :wink: vaping is going to get really expensive for me lol

2 Likes

Their wrappers are brown, that’s the colour of dirt and should never be trusted.

You got me, Touche Touche troll :poop:

2 Likes

In order for these batteries to make it here into our hands these regulations must be followed, pay close attention to sections 1 thru 3.

49 CFR Parts 100-185, HAZMAT Hazardous Materials Regulations

§ 173.185 Lithium cells and batteries.
(a) Cells and batteries. A lithium cell
or battery, including a lithium polymer
cell or battery and a lithium-ion
cell or battery, must conform to all of
the following requirements:
(1) Be of a type proven to meet the
requirements of each test in the UN
Manual of Tests and Criteria (IBR; see
§ 171.7 of this subchapter). A cell or battery
and equipment containing a cell
or battery that was first transported
prior to January 1, 2006 and is of a type
proven to meet the criteria of Class 9
by testing in accordance with the tests
in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria,
Third Revised Edition, 1999, need
not be retested.
(2) Incorporate a safety venting device
or otherwise be designed in a manner
that will preclude a violent rupture
under conditions normally incident to
transportation.
(3) Be equipped with an effective
means to prevent dangerous reverse
current flow (e.g., diodes, fuses, etc.) if
a battery contains cells or series of
cells that are connected in parallel.
(4) Be packaged in combination packagings
conforming to the requirements
of part 178, subparts L and M, of this
subchapter at the Packing Group II
performance level. The lithium battery
or cell must be packed in inner packagings
in such a manner as to prevent
short circuits, including movement
which could lead to short circuits. The
inner packaging must be packed within
one of the following outer packagings:
metal boxes (4A or 4B); wooden boxes
(4C1, 4C2, 4D, or 4F); fiberboard boxes
(4G); solid plastic boxes (4H2); fiber
drums (1G); metal drums (1A2 or 1B2);
plywood drums (1D); plastic jerricans
(3H2); or metal jerricans (3A2 or 3B2).
(5) Be equipped with an effective
means of preventing external short circuits.

The point is the batteries have been tested and met requirements to show they are safe when used properly. It is when not used properly you get violent explosions and ridiculous lawsuits. If I shoot a roman candle into my eyes is it the firework mfr fault for making a dangerous device? No its my fault for pointing it at my face.

2 Likes

Illumn.com specializes primarily in flashlights etc. So I would seriously doubt that they have anything to worry about. :wink:

1 Like