22mm single coilers.... I'm in love šŸ’—

Morning everyone.

So, been vaping/mixing for 7 years. Been through a fair amount of hardware in that time as you can imagine, however, I kind of missed the small single coil bus.

Into rebuildables from a fairly early stage, tanks at first, then RDAs. For the last, I donā€™t know, 3/4 years, Iā€™ve been exclusively squonking. Until a couple of months ago the recurve, drop solo, the drop, or the pulse 24 would be sitting atop the squonker.

I donā€™t have many friends that vape (given away a fair bit of hardware and juice to friends to try to convert them, but most go back on the stinkiesā€¦ hopefully not a reflection of my mixing skills), so I exist in a kind of bubble, and get all my info on products from online / youtube reviews.

Well, Iā€™d probably read about the hadaly etc, but it had just passed me by without piquing my interest. I mean, to my untrained eye, it just looked uninterestingā€¦ not enough flashy airflow holes/curved build deck/flashy branding.

Decided to order a clone a couple of months back and, well, wow. It just floats my boat 100%. The fairly restricted airflow and taste blew me away. I then saw an RDA on gearbest for $6 shipped. Looked similar to the hadaly, so thought why not.

When that arrived, I thought Iā€™d wasted $6. The small Phillips head screws used to trap the wire onto the build deck looked like a cheap toy. I was literally considering throwing it as I tried to get 26awg wires to nip up under the screws.

Once wicked though, I realise something weird was going on. How the hell can this $6 rda that looks like it fell out of a Christmas cracker taste so good?! A quick google, and I worked out I had bought a Hussar V1.0 clone.

More reading, and now the 22mm single coil world was explained.

Currently waiting for the citadel clone, and the entheon.

So, Iā€™m not a fan of clones (lol), but I just couldnā€™t throw high end money at an unknown. Once those 2 rdas arrive, thatā€™ll be the end of my clone collection, and Iā€™ll be putting the cash into the hands of the guys that did the hard work, and buying one or two genuines.

Just wanted to throw this out there, as Iā€™d missed the train, and there could be others like me that these small single coilers really work for, who havenā€™t discovered them. Grab a clone, they are the price of a prawn sandwich, then go genuine if you want.

Iā€™ve had so much fun remixing some of my old recipes, and revisiting them on the hadaly/hussar. Mixing no longer ā€œa jobā€.

Currently sitting with a cup of tea, happily going through my steeping box like a kid at Christmas. This banana nut bread is so good I think Iā€™m going to skip breakfast :grin:.

Happy sunday everyone, wherever you are, and whatever you are vaping on!

27 Likes

Ua the citadel , hadaly and entheon are supposed to ne pretty damn goodā€¦These are hard to get though so for most that one today have to get clonesā€¦what brand of clone did you get ??? SXK I belive is one of the better onesā€¦i was thinking of grabbing some as wellā€¦thw derringer was my fave SFT for ever into.it got roo hard to build on for me

9 Likes

Hadaly is an SXK. The hussar is just called ā€œHu V1.0ā€ on gearbest. Entheon (fasttech) also does not seem to state manufacturer.

Iā€™m not too bothered about the quality to be honest, from what I have read, all the clones come extremely close, if not identical to the original. Iā€™m simply using them to confirm where my particular enjoyment is, and then make an informed purchase of an original.

I see a lot of people talking about using these style of rda for SFT, and I can see why, but what I donā€™t understand is why it wouldnā€™t then be your all day atty? Find it strange that someone would run a cloud chucker all day, but be that bothered about flavour to SFT. From what I have read, there are a few of these 22mm that can take a fair build as well, as a kind of halfway house (jenna?). Only what I have read, no personal experience yet.

8 Likes

Just confirm, I meant that the clones are extremely close in experience (airflow/flavour etc), I didnā€™t mean the clones are necessarily equal in machining quality!

8 Likes

I started my journey on that busā€¦ moved to dual coilā€¦ returned to single coilā€¦ not budging away from them now. Once I fell into vaping NET liquids 100% of the time, nothing else will foot the bill. I do find that having a SC atty in which I can get to all sides of the coil with a SS brush is a good thing; cleaning my coil on a daily basis is an absolute must for me. :grin:

10 Likes

Well, now youā€™ve mentioned coils, thatā€™s another subjectā€¦ what kind of builds do you prefer?

I must say, Iā€™ve never really got into the exotics, I find a simple kanthal, 26 / 28awg, 4 or 5 turns better than anything. Think Iā€™m a fan of low mass fast ramp up.

I also squonk exclusively on regulated mods now, so I never really take much notice of the build, just throw it in and find the sweet spot with the wattage. Am I missing a trick??!

6 Likes

Not really :wink: ā€¦you do you. Iā€™ve always been a simple SS round coil guy myself; tried othersā€¦ wasnā€™t impressed, too much troubleā€¦ etc.

SS, single 9/10 wrap, spacedā€¦ floating around 1 ohm; ramps to 1.25 when in solid use. This is great for NET usageā€¦ YMMV. :wink:

Oh yeahā€¦ Slow ramp up is my game with NETā€¦ better flavor all ā€˜round. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I would sayā€¦ If you move over to a mech mod for funā€¦ buy yourself a good atty meter to test your coils first, prior to usage. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Good advice, I used to use mechs, and being an electronic engineer, Iā€™m no stranger to Ohms law.

Once Iā€™m done running through my steep box, Iā€™ll be playing with coils next I think. Iā€™ve kinda got the feeling that it wonā€™t make much difference, but I have a rather eclectic collection of wire types and gauges, so that will kill a couple of hours!

4 Likes

Mate of mine popped round today to pick up some juice. Heā€™s on a tube mech, running a 0.09 coil.

He assures me he has new high CDR batteries, but I did the maths, and winced every time he hit it :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Make peace with your friend, if you two have ever been at odds with each otherā€¦ because, itā€™s only a matter of time before he blows his face off! :dizzy_face:

12 Likes

Yeah, not exactly much wriggle room on a build like that is thereā€¦ plus those brass tube mods just look like some form of a grenade as it is.

5 Likes

If a battery isnā€™t listed hereā€¦

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/moochs-recommended-batteries.7593/?fbclid=IwAR1YFSRF7qSCgk1wHl_1jwph3cLHDFzlH06Pm4MsZQZ7i87YLc5xluS0mfs

ā€¦I wouldnā€™t trust it. :smirk: Trust the Mooch!

10 Likes

Mehā€¦:smirk: Iā€™ve been using quite a few Mechs since ā€˜14ā€¦ theyā€™re fine, IF you use good judgement. Mechanical Mods are the cockroaches of the vaping worldā€¦ theyā€™ll be around long after the world is blown to bits by a thermo-nuclear bomb. :joy: We just wonā€™t be around to use them.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a fine collection dude :+1:. As you say, Iā€™ve got a couple of mechs strategically placed (in van, at work) , ready for the inevitable failure of the regulated carry.

My pal mentioned moochā€™s results on his batteries, the dude has been vaping longer than me, and been in the industry as well. Still not sure why people push the envelope that hard though.

5 Likes

More sound advice!!

4 Likes

Good move! :sunglasses: ā€¦always be prepared, I say.

4 Likes

As someone who swore a few months ago Iā€™d never get into this crap, I ordered the wasp and the elder dragon this week LOL ā€¦ of course the only review I could give on either will be ā€¦ hey I was able to put a coil in this thing

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got too much crap, but dammit, now you went and made me Giggle it @authormichellehughes. I keep hearing bits and pieces about the elder D, never really gave it much thought, so I checked out bits from Mike and with the (I think Iā€™m in love) big ass screws (side access), and what are they, air pipes loading air directly into the coils ?? I think I now must have one.

8 Likes

I am OT @24
but you cant neither beat the performance
nor the priceā€¦

5 Likes