2nd time building coils WHEW

Not 100% hand that would be difficult :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::sweat_smile:. I am using a drill and swivels to help wrap as I’ve seen in many videos.

5 Likes

Yea my hand is sitting close, I tried a couple inches away but it wasn’t working. I’ll move away and see how that works. I was afraid if I moved further away it would be more of a disaster :joy:

5 Likes

The beadalong doesn’t quite fit the 36g spool and i felt it seemed to despool too fast so I was leading the wire. In looking at the video you posted it looks like it doesn’t fit right either (fits perfect on my 26g). I saw a video where someone used the drill to get the twists out of the finished product, pasta maker seems interesting.

6 Likes

yeah, move your hand back. i have found that i can’t sit 90deg to the core/s. i have to sit at a 45deg angle. this way i can get my eyes closer to the build, yet have room for my spool hand. operating the drill is easier this way also.

5 Likes

they need to fit very loose, imo anyway. the 1000’ spools = no waay. so i put 2 of them and have them super loose.

6 Likes

this is some Coil Wars madness for those that are not interested in going there.

6 Likes

So I retried using the beadalong and I tightened up the band. Worked much much better!!! Almost got through wrapping before I screwed up but was able to pick up fairly easily

9 Likes

Any thicker you could make wicker furniture out of it.

Looks great, but no thanks: I’d never be able to bring myself to use my coils for fear they’ll get dirty :frowning:

3 Likes

My, what pink fingers you have :smirk:

Oh right, yeah, the coil…

2 Likes

Looks pretty good! Congrats

5 Likes

Hey there your coils are looking good and you are on your way my friend.

I find that those fish hook spinner things pretty much suck for “easy” coil building and getting one specifically for coils is the way to go. That is what I found anyway.

I’m gonna leave you a couple of links. One is out of Russia but they deliver to the states and the cost to ship isn’t to bad.
http://en.3dvape.ru/
https://usaohmmeters.com/
I have an older video showing off a couple of tools and teaching how to do a staggered fused clapton
I started the video at a spot where you can see how well the spinner works.

Nicely done by the way. It looks good and I bet it vapes GREAT!!! That beadalong trick works good eh?

There is nothing wrong with using tricks and specialized tools to make good coils.

@Daveflowers9 is a good coil builder and maybe he will jump in with some tricks and advice.

Good luck on your journey and don’t hesitate to ask if you have questions.

7 Likes

i made my own swivel out of a fidget spinner

8 Likes

Thanks so much @Dan_the_Man. I checked out both links and will definitely be ordering a couple things. Yes the beadalong worked great!!! I’ve already made another fused wrap lol. I also watched a few of your vids so thanks so much. Now need to also perfect untwisting the wire once it’s wrapped cause using 2 nylon pliers just isn’t working good for me as I’ve seen in some vids.

3 Likes

I get mine from WireOptim (previously Lightning Vapes).
36g - 40g in 1000ft spools and 24g - 28g in 250ft spools. It’s good clean wire with no kinks, and they regularly have 30% off sales.

10 Likes

Good job! :+1: :star_struck:

6 Likes

3D Vape makes good stuff although the little tool for making the staggereds didn’t work as well for me as using a finger loop of wire. Just used to doing it my way, I guess. The swivel head and the little metal stand were the handiest of the items I bought from them. I can align the height and side to side level with my drill much easier. The little wire clamps for holding multi core wires worked well too.

5 Likes

Very innovative repurposing!

6 Likes

thanx :smile:

btw. if anyone is looking for a good, and cheap, clamp for the drill, needs to be a 1/2" though, unless you find/make an adaptor. is “jewelers clamps”. $15 for 2 on ebay.

2 Steel Hand Vises Clamp Grip Metalworking Jewelers Bench Jewelry Repair Tool 14181331969 | eBay

7 Likes

Cool! Didn’t know about these.

6 Likes

yeah. the only bad thing is they don’t fit in 3/8 drills. i have a metal lathe, so i just turned one down to fit. don’t mind the bearing, i am thinking about making that into a swivel, but its way to cold to work in the garage.

7 Likes