2nd time building coils WHEW

I guess it’s never too late to say this : don’t dive in too deep.

5 Likes

Thank you for all the tips!!! I was finally able to get a few good 2x core claptons made without spacing. I even ventured into making 3x core claptons this evening that doesn’t look too shabby. Still on the watchamacallit hot off the press :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

Please more HELP, what am I doing wrong ? :see_no_evil: I used steam engine and wanted it to come out to .40. Meter is reading .18. 3x 26g 316L wrapped in 36g Kanthal A1.

5 Likes

The Vape calculator is per coil - if you running duals you have to halve the resistance

5 Likes

Sorry… I see it is single (Whoops)

4 Likes

OK - now i see, what is in the calculator is for a single wire. To work out a fused clapton go to Wire Wizard instead of coil wrapping. Wire Wizard allows you to add multiple cores and outer wraps

7 Likes

6 Likes

Woohoo. Thank you very much!!! You did that too quick. I had to read through the directions but I got the same results as you :heart_eyes::hugs::crazy_face:. I’ve using it in my pico squeeze and it’s reading at .17. Very smooth. I’m super frigging happy!!!

8 Likes

Yah! @Kamara for the win! I’m sure we see you featuring soon in #coilwars on instagram :fire:

6 Likes

Heck no, they way too advance for me!! I was looking at some of the crazy coils today. :flushed:. I would like to get something like this to make my life a bit easier. I used to keychain rings, although they worked I had to keep adjusting them because they were wanting to work off the wires.

3 Likes

These are what I use. They are from the Daedalus coil maker. I could never seem to get the thing working right, but the wire guides work perfectly when making clapton by hand. They can be purchased separately in packs of 3 (1x 24g, 1x26g, 1x28g) for $7.99. You can easily do 4 cores of 28 wrapped with 38 , they move along your cores by themselves as you wrap :+1:
They are available from WireOptim in the previous link supplied by @SmilingOgre

9 Likes

Always makes me oddly excited when I see how the simplest of tools can be used to do complicated things better.

7 Likes

I remember watching just about every coil making video on youtube and trying different methods and tools. At the end of the day there is no one perfect way - you use the tools and methods that work best for YOU and practise, practise, practise…

6 Likes

For clean, flat, multi core wrapping assistance, I’ve always used 2 legos, (square 4 post Lego works best) clamp the cores near the beginning, and as you wrap, slide them down the cores a little at a time. Got a bag full at dollar tree. Also at dollar tree theres a bag of micro clothespins that work well for different applications.

10 Likes

Yes, different gauge wire or less or more wraps. The higher the gauge the higher the resistance (ohms)

7 Likes

Thanks. I must’ve missed it when I looking at the Daedalus ogre shared.

8 Likes

This is a good tip. Thank you, @Daveflowers9

6 Likes

I’ll be getting a bag of legos this evening, thank you! Someone else mentioned legos also and I laughed because of the thought the days of bringing legos back into the house we’re long gone already :joy::joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

. @Kamara , I lived in the Roanoke/Bedford area in Virginia most of my life, currently in the Lowcountry of Sc. Where in Virginia are you?
Oh also, the swivels I use are Crok SS ball bearing swivels from Ebay. I’ve used other types too, the main thing is that they be ball bearing SS swivels. The other type(barrel) swivels aren’t nearly as smooth, and they will bind sometimes and ruin a beautiful build.

6 Likes

legos are expencive, and you only need a 1/2 handfull, if that. just ask around in your circle, you’ll find some for free.

8 Likes