A Walk Down Memory Lane

I never really watched any vids except for Todd and i only watched his vids because turning on the subtitles made it hilarious. AAFL’s mixing show is pretty much the first mixing show i watched live. Ive watched a coil building vid here and there but thats about it.

8 Likes

There was a bit of a learning curve @muth and I still remember my first attempt. I put the coil housing face up over a deep socket so I could push the innards out, down from the top with a drill bit. I pushed it through with such force that the entire body wedged itself deep in the socket and I couldn’t get it out. So that was a fail.

After a while just to chill, he had started a weekend fishing set of videos, where he’d just stop his vehicle, hop a fence onto private property and catch a few fish. Very chilled. Now I just watch the odd Todd video. He’s always chilled.

9 Likes

Rebuilding Nauti BVC’s… Drilling tanks!

Sheesh! I could never get the BVC’s right. Watched every video I could find. I finally caved in and bought a few Nautilus RBA’s from a place in China.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.19.38 PM

The red circle on the left, is the size of the build deck. What a pain in the ass. Those that are familiar with BVC’s can appreciate how tiny this thing is. I used every nasty cuss word I knew, twice, setting this thing up. Did it work?.. yes… sometimes. Sometimes well. Hit & miss.

I drilled out a few of my Kayfuns. Stock on the left & drilled on the right. The air passages in the base were easy. Drilling out the central air tube was tricky. Did it on the drill press.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.13.32 PM

They worked well, but after a bit, I decided I liked the stock ones better. I swapped a couple of the drilled ones for stock ones. Still have a couple drilled ones in the stash.

Drills & Dremels were part of the vaper’s tool box back then!

9 Likes

We’re forgetting one of the senior citizens of memory lane.

Show of hands, if you have a Subtank Mini somewhere in the stash!

9 Likes

Bunches and bunches. Got some sweet bell caps for them too.

EDIT: The gif was horrible, lol.

9 Likes

Did the gif I tried to upload show up?? It said it was too big, so I just said oh well, and gave up.

6 Likes

I didnt see one but the gif i posted was terrible so i removed it.

6 Likes

it’s been a long time since I worked on that tiny deck. I’ll give it a try this weekend. Time to look for the magnifiers :rofl:

6 Likes

Todd was also on my watchlist. Also Vic due to our similar styles in vaping. He also knew the gear well and had/has a professional studio. And secretly I liked his Scottish brogue and cursing :rofl:

7 Likes

W…T…Holy…F??? :rofl:
There are just no words.

6 Likes

Spend $10 on a pair of jeweler’s goggles. I wear them all the time. You’d be surprised how many times they saved the day helping me spot a metal burr causing a short or protecting my eyes once when I picked up the metal tweezers instead of the ceramic ones and pinched the coil while firing. You wonder how you could do something like that but it was a total unconscious brain fart. That coil flew off the deck so fast it was literally invisible. To this day I haven’t found it.

8 Likes

Oh, you haven’t seen that vid before? Highly disturbing.

7 Likes

I still use the Kanger Subtank Mini as my primary tank. I have 10 of them, new in boxes, and have bought coils when they were discounted, so have about 130 or so coils. Each coil lasts me about 2 weeks, so I have enough left for about 5 years. Then I’ll have to look at changing tanks and coils. The old stuff still works for me and I haven’t yet been tempted to upgrade.

9 Likes

The Subtank Mini has an RBA that’s easy enough to build. The RBA comes with a build installed and i think you can also get the coil w/wick. All you have to do is screw the coil onto the RBA deck. The wick tails are already properly trimmed.

8 Likes

The moment I seen this thread, i knew I had to go digging through some old vape boxes. Took me bit to find everything, but man, was a trip down memory lane! Took some pics to share and yeah I had to use the ego case as a backdrop :rofl:

Nimbus (with drilled out airholes), Troll RDA, Doge, Kennedy, and a Modfather

CLT v3 (subohm edition), Hobo, Mutation x V2, and a 454 Big Block

2 of my first tanks: An Aromamizer V1 and some sort of Kayfun

Cherry Bomber!

And a MCV Phillipines Kryptonite Mech (thing weighs like 5lbs!)

I went through a box with about 40-50 various RDAs RTAs and every one of them brought back memories, good times!

11 Likes

Oh man, the Nautilus RBA was just the biggest pain in the ass to build on. I could install a new coilhead, leave it alone while the cotton soaked thru, and vaped a whole tankful before I could get the coil installed on the RBA. Damn frustrating :rage:

9 Likes

OMG, the Cherry Bomber! A woody, too. I contemplated on getting one but I had the Dimitri and was very happy with it. Solid aluminum alloy and weighed like a brick.

13 Likes

@Wyckmix that tank looks like a Kayfun except the barrel doesn’t! What is that, I wonder?

8 Likes

Function and with the capacity to knock someone out makes a fine mod.

11 Likes

‘Pocket friendly’ for some mods means it doesn’t pull your pants down.

9 Likes