About To Lose It

Personally, i don’t buy that. Actually i am pretty sure that smoking is never net positive or economically beneficial in any way for any EU country (can’t say for other regions ofc).

I rarely link websites since all the info can be manipulated, but this one below is for the USA (no idea if true or not; but there are some good quick info with sources mentioned)

• Taxpayers yearly fed/state tax burden from smoking-caused gov’t spending: $925 per household
  • Smoking-caused health costs and productivity losses per pack sold in USA (low estimate): $20.91 per pack
  • Average retail price per pack in the USA (including sales tax): $6.30

Ah, i don’t believe in that. Czech Republic, like most of Central Europe, has stagnant or negative growth rate for a long time. Population of Czech R was in 2011 just 4% higher than it was in 1910. One of the last countries where ‘population control’ would be needed imo.

It is extremely bizarre to me. The company claiming that killing its own customers is good… and even proudly adv(ert)ising that to the government? For me that is the most grotesque marketing approach i have ever heard. Insanely bizarre. I can’t imagine what could beat this. The whole team who was behind those papers and all those who approved them deserve a Statue of absurdity. Best of the best. :rofl: :rofl:

Agree. Sadly that is true.

The brave ones. I certainly hope to hear their voice louder and louder. Not corruptive or disqualifying, no elitism, playing a supremacy or being-sent-from-god game or money-can-buy-everything game, telling the truth, fighting for freedom, the choice and the right for privacy. This kind of minority could become a majority soon despite all the media terror and quickly find followers worldwide. We might have 60’s again. :wink:

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. :+1:

Agree, but this is hard to do over-night since we are talking about a highly addictive product that millions use (voters count, importance of the industry, etc). What they could do are couple of very simple things.

Banning ammonia in cigarettes is a very simple step. Ammonia is added with one reason only - it super-charges the addiction to the nicotine and makes users want more, more often. E-cigarettes don’t use ammonia and thus they are not nearly as addictive as cigarettes; cigars for example are also not treated with ammonia and they are way less addictive than cigarettes.

So the question is, why ammonia is still allowed then? Ban it and millions of addicted will be happy about it and be able to stop the addiction much easier. (smokers-voters happy, non-smokers-voters happy, reduction of tobacco related expenses for the country, the industry has enough time to adapt). Why the EU at least is not talking about banning ammonia is a good question for our leaders.

Next thing could be a long term plan to limit the use of nicotine, like 12 years plan. Allow max 15mg of nicotine next year, 12mg max the following year and then reduce the max amount by 1mg each year. Since long enough time, smokers won’t notice the difference (and most would be pretty happy about it; at last they will be able to smoke because of desire, not because of the need; like cigars) and there would be no problem to adapt for the industry.

That would be natural, not intrusive way to fight the addiction. Ban ammonia and reduce the nicotine and the smoking problem is solved without banning cigarettes; no more addiction, way less health related problems for users or early deaths, healthier and more productive population, less expenses for the country, millions of voters gained (it’s saving their life, prolonging it, making them healthier, not to mention how economically beneficial would be for millions, right? For many and their families that would be the most decisive question at voting because at the end that is what counts for most of us, right? To have more money to spend, be healthier and live longer).

4 Likes

If nothing else they should take some of the chemicals out of the cigarette.

4 Likes

Well, I meant that I knew they were never going to ban it, but the way they are so aggressively trying to ban vaping, you’d think they would have used that same aggression back in the 90’s when all the hand-wringing and outcry led to the MSA. It was a money grab, unfortunately.

And I do not support banning tobacco, to be clear. I think everyone should have the right to choose whether they want to use it, like alcohol and Windex and Tide Pods and sports cars that can go 200MPH.

So rather than making the tobacco companies modify the addictive components of cigarettes as you mentioned, or pay restitution to smokers that were hooked- that could possibly have been saved if the dangerous information hadn’t been suppressed for so long- the government decided to enrich themselves while putting wrist-slap sanctions on Big Tobacco. And if I’m remembering correctly, the MSA also shielded BT from further smokers’ lawsuits, correct?

7 Likes

@Wayne_Walker wrote a good article and here is a cool quick info about MSA trap.

6 Likes

He’s got a lot of great information on his website. Love the notes from Developed as well.

5 Likes

Don’t forget that tax revenue. One of the first things the states did to vape shops.

5 Likes

I was reading some of the posts above yours. I haven’t read the posts below yours yet. Yes, Trump was specifically referring to the Vit E acetate, the same component that was illegally placed in THC cartridges and killed those few. But, it was a certain party in the House that snuck in the ban into the PACT Act and Trump only passed the omnibus bill to get the increase in Military spending. I really wish he had veto lined that part of the bill because it really is not in his nature to take away certain rights that are safer and healthier than cigarettes. Remember, it was Obama that banned flavored cigarettes like Cherry cigarettes and Cloves, yet Clove CIGARS didn’t get banned because it was wrapped by a tobacco leaf and not a paper wrap. That was really weird.

2 Likes

It used to be that the US was very good at hiding its corruption. We’ve traditionally had a relatively low corruption rate and it was easy and plausible to believe most things were above board. A distinguishing feature of deeply corrupted countries is that it’s evident to everyone with eyes.

We’ve reached the point now where the corruption is coming out in the open. This occurs when the corrupted are more confident that they are untouchable. Corruption is a top down infection that will flow to the bottom if unchecked. The signs are all around us and it makes me very sad.

3 Likes

It really is time for this Rome to fall and we rebuild a new G from the ground up. Big G has gotten too big to fail and it is disgusting how much corruption we have due to lobbyists that only have profits in mind. Waiting for this Rome to fall might just be a pipe dream, especially since the powers to be really doesn’t belong to the people anymore.

3 Likes

Holy McHoly @KC111 I saw the title of this thread as a recent post, and couldn’t remember it. 3 years ago, wow. Look how far we’ve come since then.

1 Like

Yeah I was looking up a certain name and when I did a search on this platform, it revealed dozens and dozens of topics under that name. I was trying to understand how topics under that name wasn’t flagged or removed, but when I bring up the newer name, then my posts were flagged or removed. :woman_shrugging: Inconstancies bother me.

1 Like

Me too @KC111

1 Like