Absent from ELR and life in general as we know it

Dang man, that sucks! I’ve worked in simular situations too and it sucks every time. Nothing like training someone to take your job. You are in our thoughts and prayers sir. Hope fortune smiles upon you very soon.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for this… those assholes!!! You’re in my thoughts. I hope you get your UI. I just went through a some what similar situation. It sucks. A great big giant you know what.

3 Likes

The rent check showed up today, you may not know what it is like to have been able to provide for my family in my 44 year surveying history, and have one ______________ employer take everything away in an instant without so much as a “youre fired, find another job”. then having to wait till october 30 to get a donation from a friend to even pay to keep my roof another month. yeah its nerve racking, i should be able to sleep but…

5 Likes

Anyone who is keeping track of my ordeal, the case is over, I had an attorney, and still lost the appeal. I’ll hopefully talk to my layer on monday and see if it’s worth another appeal.
I think he was notified so late he didn’t submit any of my written evidence, and a witness that was to be subpoenaed did not come. So I don’t think my attorney had a chance to prepare. As a result the Judge ruled I was not credible and found the employer rightfully terminated me for insubordination.

3 Likes

im sorry to hear this :frowning: , since you were fired dont you qualify for unemployment ? or was that what the appeal was about ? here in WA state it is very hard for an employer to deny unemployment if they are fired unless its for theft or something

3 Likes

In Arkansas
If so found by the Director of the Department of Workforce Services, an individual shall be disqualified for benefits if he or she is discharged from his or her last work for misconduct in connection with the work.
There was no misconduct, They say I did not train the new guy, but I must have because he started out knowing nothing. I asked him what a scale was and he answered “weight produce at walmart?”. He knew how to set up a total station but that was all, he had never looked at a set of construction plans. I taught him how to set up operate and even adjust both GPS and conventional survey equipment, build surface models, Transfer the models to the machine control equipment, how to extract elevations from the plans, how to calibrate a site, how to calculate horizontal and vertical curves, just everything he needed to know to replace me. on a thursday they told me they wouldn’t need me friday and they would call me next week if they had work, they didn’t so I applied for UI. I found out from UI I wasn’t laid off. and the guy I trained is still working.

3 Likes

Do you have a PayPal account that we, your other family can send holiday $ to?

I know you aren’t interested but USPS is hiring holiday help all over the country. You could work there for as long as you like to get your feet on the ground. Starting pay really isn’t bad. Worth a shot at least

6 Likes

I am not a beggar, I do not really know anyone here personally, so asking for money from you all is not something I intend to do. I’m a surveyor and that’s the only thing I have done since I was 15. I am fearful what may happen if I try to switch professions this late in life. Im 59 years old, I have applied for disability and have been turned down, even though I have parkinson’s disease, I’ve have had multiple strokes, and recently found I have a brain tumor on the front left part of my brain. Im appealing that decision and might get an answer to that appeal next year because the SSA is so quick and proficient.
I’ve got paypal but even if there was enough money there to pay my rent and bills my landlord definitely doesn’t take paypal and the utility companies might not go that route for their payments.
I’ll be talking to my Pastor, my Lodge, and the SSA monday. Then I will hit the streets to look for work so I don’t have to hit the streets to live on them next month. thanks for the USPS tip i’ll look at their website to see if they have work in my area.

6 Likes

Hi @CosmicTruth I’ve never communicated with you before but I’m sad to hear of your woes.

In the short period of time that I’ve been lurking here I seen several acts of extreme generosity from the locals relating to people who are experiencing hard times. These guys & girls, regardless whether you’ve met them in person or not, would rather help than think that you are struggling. I’m blown away by how giving these folks are and I’ve never witnessed anything like it before, what a bunch of champs!

If I was in your situation I’d gather as much coin as possible and grow weed. Lots and lots and lots of weed - and retire stoned, wealthy and happy.

Good luck and I hope that your fortune improves ASAP

5 Likes

Medical MJ just passed in Arkansas, I’ll need a prescription. I don’t think it has an effect on my shakey head but may have other benefits.

8 Likes

As far as PayPal goes you can transfer to your bank and also get a cc linked to that account.

5 Likes

As far as charity goes, answer one question. Have you ever or would you help a person in need if you could? If your answer is yes, suck it up and stick out your hand. We all always want to be on the giving side but that just aint the way life works. This is your turn to ride the wheel back up.

6 Likes

I’m a Christian, and a Mason. For some time my wife and I even volunteered at our Church Rehabilitation center. I make it a habit helping those in need. The Masonic fraternity is based on God - brotherly love - and Charity, we do fundraisers monthly just for that purpose. My Church will help us out as far as filling our pantry, but we are on food stamps now because my Income has been $0 since the later part of September, so food is not a problem. I will be talking to my Pastor, and the Brothers at my Lodge as they are the best council and can help me at least spiritually. I have paypal, and I got a crash course on how it works today (thanks @anon60225325). But for me I have a difficult time even considering asking for money from a stranger. I know your thinking you know me, but our contact is purely virtual. I don’t even reveal my real name here because I don’t want my children and grandchildren to find out I vape as it may have an influence on them. So let me go to Church, contact my Lodge and see what the next week brings. Rent is not due for 6 days, and I’m not flat broke, I have $62 and some change.

6 Likes

@CosmicTruth If you do not want donations, are you in need of anything vaping related ?

2 Likes

No thanks to you all there is no e-liquid or mod shortage in our house. :smiley:

6 Likes

Roger that brother…

1 Like

my grandfather was a mason , i use to go to the breakfasts they would have , he was pretty high up in the organazation

1 Like

@CosmicTruth Do you have some of your own surveying gear? Maybe some local Real Estate folks would have the occasional jobs. Have some business cards? Google “free business cards”. Once you’re pushing 60 I believe you just look like a big health insurance liability to prospective Employers ( or current ones!). All the best…

4 Likes

That’s what we do here, we have a all you can eat breakfast for $5.00, we all chip in as far as cooking, and doing the dishes. It earns a little money that is used for charity.

For the record, I did not say “I do not want donations” what I am saying is I can’t bring myself to solicit donations. If it wasn’t for donations I’ve received since my work was abruptly terminated my wife and I would either be on the streets already or in the process of moving there.
I have some equipment but it’s broken down. The radio batteries don’t charge and the total station won’t read the circle in some angles it turns, and the data collector software needs re-installing and I lost the data card to reinstall it.

2 Likes

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are and will forever be in our families thoughts and prayers. I know what it is like to be in tough times. I hope it does not last long for you.

8 Likes