All my recipes gone?

It’s been a little while since I posted any recipes. Sorry, I’m terrible about that. I do read the forums regularly and you might have even seen me post a couple times. I was going to figure out how to backup recipes on iOS in reference to a different post…but all my recipes are gone. I didn’t have a ton on here but there were a few. Now it’s just a blank page that says create folder. What has happened? Why are they gone? I guess I’m glad this IS my backup and I have everything stored locally. I even have my favorites stored on paper with pen. What has happened here, though? Am I stupidly doing it wrong? Can anybody else see my recipes?

9 Likes

No, I cannot see any recipes on your profile. I can see your flavour stash so that is still there. Perhaps someone with more experience and/or permissions can help with this?

9 Likes

Yikes, not sure how that happens but i dont see them either and i have some limited admin rights on that side. @daath would be the only one who could find out what happened.

8 Likes

I’m not that worried. I’ve still got them, but nobody else can see them now. I put it in this channel so admins might notice. Thought you guys might want to know.

9 Likes

Is there a chance you used non-existing flavors in your recipes (= meaning did you add your own flavors instead of selecting one of the offered, maybe your ‘dilutions’, ‘bases’, did you use names that are not real)? Here’s an example:

There are 11.919 recipes using ‘Sweetener’ (with no brand) and all those recipes might soon be removed from public.

Or other example ‘Strawberry (ooo)’ - there are 3 pages of different flavors using this name in database and 50+ of those ‘flavors’ will be removed soon (and all recipes using those non-existing flavors too). (see here)

7 Likes

No. I have regular flavors from the usual companies. Nothing weird. It shows you in your options of existing flavors to choose from how many recipes a flavor is in, so I would choose the largest option if there was any ambiguity. I never made up a flavor. I always chose from the list of existing flavors. The same recipes are still on ATF.

7 Likes

How old were your recipes? I’d have to agree with what @Mikser said. We have been making a long overdue effort to weed out and clean duplicate flavor names from the ELR database. If your recipes contained any flavors that did not conform to the ELR naming convention, or deviated even slightly in any way then they were most likely either merged with the correct names, or hidden because of an incomplete name. That would be one possible explanation. But logically your recipes would still be visible, just with the corrected flavors.

That said…the odds of any recipe consisting entirely of ‘duplicate’ or incomplete flavor names (and in your case several recipes) are pretty rare.

7 Likes

I just checked one of them against my flavor stash on this site. The flavors that I used have not been deleted if they are still in my stash, right? Here is what was in one of them:
VT Milkshake Base
TFA Strawberry Ripe
JF Strawberry Sweet
CAP Super Sweet
TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
INW Yes, We Cheesecake
These are all still in my flavor stash. They aren’t weird, rare, or hard to find.

3 Likes

The names you just posted are different from your flavor stash.
You have brand names first so it appears your stash was corrected at some point.

3 Likes

Two reasons come to my mind. Some kind of Sweetener for example (that’s why i gave an example about Sweetener up there); in that case all recipes might be affected.

The other might be that he was using TFA instead of TPA for example.

One thing that might happen is also that while you were merging different names together all those ‘wrongly named’ flavors are not shown publicly anymore after a change (maybe user has to make them publicly manually?).

@Tiny_Metal_Trees
(1) Can you post a screenshot of a recipe from your private area?

(2) If you still have recipes in your private area shown… try if you can make one publicly (maybe you have to manually make it public now, since in case you used incorrect names that were deleted/merged all those are ‘different’ recipes now compared to what they were).

3 Likes

No. I just typed those. I did not copy/paste. I did not bother to look up the format they are in on this site. I looked my own recipe up on ATF on my phone and just copied it roughly while I had this open on my tablet. They are all in the correct format on ELR in my stash. They are all still in my stash on ELR. You can check my stash yourself.

4 Likes

No. I don’t have a “private area”. I do not use these sites for testing prototypes. I have no unfinished recipes or privates. I only post the few finished recipes that are good enough to share. I do not use the calculators or anything. All my development is recorded locally on my own devices or literally on paper.
Due to this I haven’t lost anything. I don’t need help. I am reporting that this site needs help, because recipes are being deleted. I only post recipes to share with others. Eveyone else that uses this site has lost them, not me. I still have them. It was only a few, really just 3 or 4. I haven’t used this site incorrectly, which is why I am reporting this error.

6 Likes

First, thanks for reporting. The most probable reason was that you used some flavor with ‘irregular’ name (not blaming you here in any way; large majority of users did nothing wrong; that was primarily the database’s fault) and now those ‘non existing’ flavors are getting deleted (finally, thx to some hardworking guys here) and by that all the recipes that used them are getting deleted it seems. (in reality this is just a tiny fraction of all recipes, so that’s fine as it will make the recipe part of the website much more user friendly)

What you can do now is that you import your recipes from ATF/elsewhere. (btw that SB Cheesecake Milkshake recipe looks great and i surprisingly have all those flavors, so i might gonna mix it)

4 Likes

But they haven’t been deleted. They are still on my flavor stash on ELR. If they were deleted then they wouldn’t be in my ELR stash, right?
I understand about the flavor names update that is going on. I read those threads. I am reporting this as different specifically because those flavors have not been deleted and are still here, but the recipes have been deleted. My stash should be public so you can check if you want. I wish I could tell you when it happened but I only noticed yesterday, since I seldom have a reason to look up my own recipes on ELR that are also stored on my phone.

4 Likes

Ok, you don’t need help. I get that and you’re right, the site could use some improvement. No argument there and I’ve yet to see a site like this in pristine condition anyway. Thanks for reporting it.

A shot in the dark but how about if you reposted a few of the missing recipes here? Then we could see the actual flavor names you used. Maybe it would help give some of us an idea or not of the root cause.

4 Likes

I wasn’t pooping on the site. It was just a figure of speech. The site is fine except for this deleting thing that happened. Can you please answer this question:
If a flavor has been deleted from ELR will it still be shown in a user’s flavor stash?

4 Likes

Jungle Flavors were a complete mess – some flavors are entered as (JF) (see here) and some as (Jungle Flavors) (see here); i assume that can’t be renamed properly now (or can Lars do that?).

So, i’d say the most probable cause for your recipes disappearing is JF (which is used in all your recipes, so that is another clue). This is not your fault, but database’s (although to say the truth, you could find more appropriate = more used entry since those stayed after editing).

My guessing is that you had those flavors entered as Jungle Flavors, not as JF and/or vice versa (and now some of those flavor names were deleted/merged and xxxname_(JF) is shown in your stash. (another example to prove this might be the reason is Apple (JF) that you have entered, but this one has just 2 recipes, while Apple (Jungle Flavors) has 238 recipes; see here).

In short, due to wrong entries in databases sometimes your flavors should be added as Jungle Flavors and sometimes as JF (and this can anyone overlook ofc). We need to be careful about this while adding our flavors before it gets fixed.

5 Likes

Got it. Thank you.
FYI, I don’t have all those whackadoo sweeteners. I told the site that I have EVERY sweetener listed on ELR in my stash so that I can see all the recipes I can actually make. I am comfortable swapping one brand of diluted sucralose for another. I don’t want recipes hidden from me because I only have 4 brands of sweetener and DIY isn’t one of them, so they are ALL checked off. Sweetener (possibly including ethyl maltol and/or erythritol, I’d have to check) is the only case where I have done that, however, not with any flavors.

6 Likes

If the deleted flavor and the Stash flavor were exactly the same…No.

5 Likes

I’m getting a headache trying to follow all this. An incorrect flavor shown in a users Stash and/or recipe will reflect the new name after a merge procedure.

8 Likes