All things MTL

'nother MTL’r here (recently began the transition from RDTL). Using the Stng, Ripley RDTA, Ares V2, a couple of Siren V4’s and a Dvarw FL 22. It is, to some degree, like beginning again with all of the attendant excitement and chasing of shiny things. Also good re the DIY side of things with most of my recipes having to be tweaked to suit this new style. Recommended for giving a new lease of life to ones vapelife!

8 Likes

Also MTL only here. After 40 years of cigarettes it’s the only form of inhale that feels natural to me. I have 2 all day, every day devices.

The Galaxies RDTA on a squonk mod, 6 wrap 1.02 to 1.04 Vandy Vape super fine clapton wire, 420 degree temp control, mostly custards. This is set up with mesh tank wicks so it is incredibly easy to clean the coil and rewick the cotton. I clean the tank and mesh wicks only when I do a complete recoil, about every 2 months.

My alternate devise is a Caliburn G, 1 ohm coil, mostly strawberry or peach creams. This devise has great flavor, but it’s best features are stealth vaping, and that coils are available absolutely anywhere.

9 Likes

It’s just such an easy set up isn’t it? At one stage I had three set up like that but now only the one.

Did you make your own or are the retail somewhere. Using cotton on mine annoys the hell out of me and I always thought there should be a better way, like the wire rope in the Brunhilde MTL for instance…

5 Likes

I made my own mesh wicks. It was popular on old school Genesis attys, back before I started vaping. There are older Youtube videos showing how it’s done. My first pair of wicks has lasted a year and a half and I expect them to last indefinitely. Cotton wicking was my one and only complaint about the Galaxies and it’s no longer an issue.

7 Likes

Cool @CCS I will have to look it up. Would definitely be something I would like to change in mine. Cheers.

4 Likes

What a GREAT idea, and thread @Ianc13. Yeah, yeah, soo what if we blew UP that other thread right ??

I have, and do, talk to a LOT of people about vaping. Many here, some the Vaping Community, and surprisingly, quite a few on ECF, and Reddit if you can believe that. I get ALL orders of questions about, well, FLAVORS (duh), but others as well. I found out fairly early on that most people either thought, or assumed that I was DTL (Direct To Lung) due to all of the pics in my SFT threads, but I actually roll MTL about 50% of the time. Not adventurous at all, as I BRIEFLY tried some of my regular Custard/Bakeries, and failed miserably, so I chickened out, and went back to traditional fruit vapes.

I was gifted an older Berserker, which I’ve had fairly good success with, picked up some newer (v2’s I think) and use them from time to time, and still love my SteamCrave Classic MTL. I’ve actually picked up even MORE MTL setups, but haven’t really gotten into them yet, and I have to check, but I know I def. have a DigiFlavor Siren SV4 MTL, and a Svoemestro Kayfun Prime. After listening to @Ianc13 clarify (again) that he was a FULL TIME MTL’er, and INDEED was slamming CUSTARDS, made me take notice again.

Think I’m going to have to FINALLY, expend my MTL usage.

9 Likes

I still use SS mesh in my Vicious Ant Krakens.
Took a while to get it down.
Don’t use them much anymore. I just can’t deal with MTL

7 Likes

@Pastorfuzz hehe, I hear you, as I USED to say that. I forget the actual TRIGGER, and maybe it was one of my Big Ass Flavor Chucking setups that leaked in a pocket, or got laid on it’s side, and blew juice everywhere, but I started wanting a more leak proof, less intrusive (i.e. not huge clouds) that could be easily carried, and used maybe when the flavor chucker wasn’t appropriate. That saved MTL for me.

6 Likes

I know, right…

I started vaping as a smoking cessation method and I needed it to mimic the action of smoking. To me, DTL is not that action and as I was never a bonger I really dislike the sensation.

Is MTL as good flavour and/or satisfaction wise? There are differing thoughts and opinions but hey, this works for me and that’s all that matters. :smiley:

10 Likes

I knew you were both as we have had that conversation before, but I am aware that you do your testing on a DTL device and adjust my expectations accordingly. As you know there is a difference between the two methods of intake and that can affect the flavour quantity and balance in recipes.

It’s not that you have to double the overall percentage in a recipe per se, but there are allowances that need to be made for the hardware and also for your taste perception using a MTL device. I think it would probably be harder, and a little frustrating perhaps, if you were a dual modality user as one recipe would rarely work well in both DTL and MTL situations.

Even between different MTL tanks there is a difference in flavour from the same mix, indeed I find 2 almost identical builds in identical RTA’s can alter the taste of a recipe. It means with my set-ups I use specific mixes in specific tanks, even though they are the same RTA’s with similar builds.

The other thing is subtlety and preference. I am a long time custard lover, both in real food and vapes. My favourite was always CAP Vanilla Custard Version One at 10% as a solo flavour. I recently got hold of some INW Custard and have been testing that, it is really giving the CAP VCV1 a run for the title and I really like it. I first mixed it at 3% (database recommended) as a single flavour and really enjoyed it. The current mix is 3.5%, and even just that .5% difference changes the flavour enough that I will have to reduce it (add more VG/PG).

I know a lot of people tend to prefer stronger profiles, like tobacco and fruit, in their MTL devices as they just work. However, dessert and bakery recipes also work quite well if you experiment and work with both the device you’re using and your taste strengths and limitations. I like Custards, creams, cheesecakes, etc and have no problem with MTLing them at all.

7 Likes

I like the same profiles as you do and rarely vape fruity flavours. When I was strictly MTL I enjoyed nothing more than a good custard recipe in my Kayfun Lite 2019 or a doughnut recipe in my Kayfun Prime etc. Nowadays I am more of a RDTL vaper and those same recipes although still nice are not as good as they were in my MTL devices. I noticed more of the subtleties and different nuances in the MTL format that I don’t using RDTL and I actually think the flavour was better at times.
Reading this thread is making me want to revisit my old MTL setups so I think I will have to get some out tomorrow. Great thread.:+1:t3:

7 Likes

Almost the same here @CCS, which is why, after MTL’ing for years, and trying DTL, I was surprised I liked it.

Agreed @Ianc13, now it’s PROBABLY my lack of trying, or at least TWEAKING, but the amount of saturated flavor I get from my SteamCraves, somewhat dwarfs what I’ve been able to get from MTL. This is after I did enhance my MTL mixes FOR MTL.

Typically use ultra thin wired claps for MTL, have played around with coil heights in relation to airflow, etc., but have never been able to increase the MTL to rival my DTL.

6 Likes

@ian, and THAT is ALL that matters.

6 Likes

Again, same here, which made it ODD to me that after having MTL’d for a few years, that I DID end up liking DTL. I think I’m going to re-invest some time (LOL, like I have any free time at this point), and try to continue experimenting with coils, height/airflow, maybe different tanks, even different mixes, to see what can be had. There’s too many people hot on MTL for it NOT to work out.

6 Likes

VERY agreed …

4 Likes

Have you tried, or tested TPA’s Vanilla Custard II ?

5 Likes

I can see how that would be the case @Lucas_James_Holden. In the WAY BACK days, in the beginning, I had some flavors/recipes that really just plain WORKED in a MTL. Now I know many of our tastes change as we age, as we get more experienced, etc., but I tried a few of them in my DTL, and they were not so good, which was interesting.

6 Likes

Some good points have been made here since my last comment and has made me think again. When I was vaping MTL many of the the recipes had much higher percentages so really I should try some of the newer recipes and see what the differences are in flavour between MTL and my usual RDTL.
@SessionDrummer you mentioned finding the best coil positions, I always found that with bottom airflow MTL atomisers that the lower the coil was to the airflow hole the better the flavour but that’s just from my experience and many other peoples opinions may differ.

8 Likes

Roger that @Lucas_James_Holden.

5 Likes

Have you seen this? If you like RDTAs it’s worth a try. I never liked dealing with long cotton wicks on my RDTAs. This is a better alternative, imo.

https://youtu.be/z3e4cj1L7_g

6 Likes