"Alternative" Uses for Flavor Concentrates

I’m interested in the air diffuser thing also. Are you mixing the flavorings with water or just using straight flavorings in the diffusers? Looking at amazon right now…

1 Like

I filled my diffuser up with water just like I do with EOs, and then added the flavor to that.

4 Likes

I know it’s a bit late but I’ve almost finished a degree in pharmaceutical and cosmetic science, so if you’re still interested as a non-Christmas thing, let me know. I’ve made no end of shampoo and if you’re interested I’ve still got formula sheets and detailed methods from my first year.

5 Likes

PM them to me please !
I’m interested !

1 Like

I’m interested too!

Raspberry in the diffuser is really nice. Some concentrates don’t always end up vaping as good as they smell, but they diffuse just like they smell. Glad this worked out; wife likes it too. If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

6 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!!!

6 Likes

I’m definitely interested. I still have a bunch of stuff left over, and could probably improve on what I made with some guidance.

True statement indeed. One of the first pieces of advice I give my newlywed friends. Carve it stone, and hang it on the wall.

2 Likes

Strawberry is the best one I’ve tried in the diffuser so far. Whole basement smells like candy.

4 Likes

PHCO2309 : Shampoo Formulation and Evaluation Practical (2016-17)
Aim
To formulate and evaluate an economy shampoo.

Background
Shampoo formulations are often based on aqueous solutions of one or two primary surfactants and a secondary surfactant. To this will be added agents to increase the viscosity, preservatives, colours, fragrances, and other ingredients such as plant extracts. The resulting product should be able to cleanse the hair, but it should also have other desirable attributes such as a suitable viscosity, acceptable appearance, and acceptable foaming properties.
The aim of this practical is to investigate various combinations of the surfactants and viscosity modifier to produce a shampoo which has the required viscosity, and then formulate it with a colour and fragrance to give the final product. The various physical properties of this end product will then be evaluated.
The core ingredients are:
Primary surfactants
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
• Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – provided as a 27% solution
Secondary Surfactant
• Coconut Diethanolamide
• Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Viscosity Modifier
• Sodium Chloride
Preservative
• Phenoxyethanol
Colour and Fragrance as chosen by the individual
A typical shampoo base has surfactant concentrations in the range of:
Primary surfactant (total not more than 30% w/v):
• SLS 0 – 3% w/v
• SLES (27% solution) 20 – 30% w/v
Secondary surfactant:
• Coconut Diethanolamide or Cocamidopropyl Betaine 2 – 5% w/v

Method
Selection of the optimum surfactant concentration
This section will be done in groups. Each group should choose at least four combinations of surfactant to investigate, based on the guidelines given above. For each combination the following procedure should be followed:

1. make 50mL of shampoo base containing the required amounts of surfactant dissolved in water;
  2. when all the ingredients are fully dissolved observe the viscosity of each shampoo base and rate it on a scale from 0 (like water) to 5 (so viscous it does not flow);
  3. set aside any of the bases which has a viscosity of 5 or which contains solid material which cannot be made to dissolve;
  4. to each remaining shampoo base add 0.1g sodium chloride, stir gently (avoiding bubbles), and then observe the viscosity;
  5. keep adding 0.1g quantities of sodium chloride and observing the viscosity until no further change in viscosity can be seen.

Determination of the optimum amount of salt (‘Salt Curve’)
This section will be done individually.

1. choose one of the surfactant combinations from the previous section that you think will make a good shampoo;
  2. make 200mL of shampoo base containing the required amounts of surfactant dissolved in water;
  3. when all the ingredients are fully dissolved, measure the viscosity of the shampoo base using a Brookfield viscometer with an appropriate spindle and speed (NB this is a single measurement, not a complete viscosity curve);
  4. add 0.2g of sodium chloride, mix gently, and when this is fully dissolved repeat the viscosity measurement;
  5. continue to add sodium chloride in 0.2g increments and measure the viscosity of the resulting solution until the viscosity has dropped to around the original starting point or lower (as the amount of added sodium chloride increases the viscosity should itself increase before starting to decrease).

Formulation and evaluation of the final shampoo
This part is also done individually. Using your surfactant formula and optimum amount of sodium chloride as determined in the previous section, choose the colour and fragrance to add and in what quantity. The final shampoo formula consists of:
• the specified amounts of surfactant
• the optimum amount of sodium chloride, as determined from the viscosity experiment
• phenoxyethanol 0.5% w/v
• colour qs
• fragrance qs
Make 250mL of this product and carry out the following tests on it.
Viscosity curve
Measure the viscosity of at least 200 mL of each product using a Brookfield viscometer with the appropriate spindle. Use a range of increasing and decreasing speeds in the same manner as the Viscometry Practical, allowing 30s for the instrument to stabilise before recording the measurement.
Foam volume and stability
• Prepare 200mL of a 10% w/v aqueous solution of the shampoo.
• Stir 100mL of the 10%w/v shampoo dilution in a 250mL beaker for 15s, using a Silverson mixer.
• Quickly pour this mixture into a 250ml measuring cylinder and measure the volume of foam every minute for 5 minutes, and also note the appearance of the foam (bubble size, etc.).
• Return the solution to the beaker, add 0.25ml sebum substitute (Jojoba Oil) and repeat the previous two steps.
Shampoo wetting ability
Prepare 100mL of a 1%w/v solution of the shampoo in water, and place in a beaker. Put a cloth disc on the surface of the water and time how long it takes to sink. Repeat this using purified water alone and 0.1% w/v sodium lauryl sulfate as controls.
Precautions
The various shampoo blends may exhibit non-Newtonian behaviour, so take care when making them to stir them gently, and try not to introduce any air bubbles. Leave the solutions to stand before starting each new viscosity measurement (unless a full viscosity curve using different speeds is being constructed).

Results
Observations of initial formulations
Record your observations and viscosity ratings for the initial surfactant formulae you made, including the changes seen as sodium chloride was added.
Salt Curve
Record your viscosity results in a table which contains at least the following information:
• the total weight of sodium chloride added;
• the viscosity in mPa.s;
• the spindle number and speed.
You might also need to record the viscometer reading and conversion factor if you are using one of the older instruments, as these needed to calculate the viscosity. Make sure that the heading for each table notes the particular formula of shampoo being tested and the model of Brookfield that was used.
Plot a suitably titled and labelled graph of viscosity against total amount of sodium chloride, and use this to recommend a suitable quantity of sodium chloride for your final product.

Evaluation of final shampoo
Viscosity curve
Record the results in a similar table to that used for the Viscometry Practical, then plot a curve of viscosity against spindle speed.
Foam height and stability
Record the foam height and time in a table, and plot the height against time in a suitable graph.
Wettability
Record the time taken for the shampoo, water and SLS solution to wet the piece of cloth.

6 Likes

I will post my exact results etc… When I can find them. Hope that helps a bit anyway.
Sorry, I didn’t realise how much of the above is a bit useless. You can expect a better post shorty after Christmas.

3 Likes

One other question on the diffuser usage… does it matter if the flavoring is pg or vg based?

1 Like

I don’t think that would matter, they’ll both disperse in the water.

1 Like

I’m not allow to vape in my office, nonsense right, so between breaks I add 2-3 teaspoons of my nicotine to the coffee. It give it a pepperish flavor and my heart skips a couple of beats once in a while but it helps me stop vaping almost 60 whole minutes.

Ok, just joking. Please dont take my advise serously. Please.

5 Likes

Trying a new recipe for the kids today with some more Vanilla Custards SC RF… Frozen vanilla custard!

5 cups whole milk
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup corn starch
2 Tbsp VC SC RF

Boil the milk.
Beat the remaining ingredients except for the flavoring together in a separate bowl. Gradually add hot milk to egg mixture while whisking. Pour it back into the pan and cook while stirring until the mixture thickens. Add flavoring.
Chill for 2 hours and then transfer into ice cream maker.

Its in the ice cream maker right now! The kids are pumped! Hopefully it turns out…lol

Edit: it turned out! The kids couldn’t wait for it to freeze the rest of the way in the freezer so they ate it like soft serve. They all approved. :+1:

8 Likes

What a great idea. Def want to try, the possibilities are endless! Im tired of the “frozen dairy dessert” options in tbe grocery store. Hardly any real food left, its all corn syrup!

Question, what is SC RF?

2 Likes

Super concentrate Real Flavors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh, thank you. I have yet to buy any RF so it’s not in my acronym mind.

1 Like

No prob. :wink: I bet Cap vanilla custard would be good in desserts too, but I use up so much of it for my juice’s as it is, I don’t want to “waste” any on food! Lol