Am I going insane or is this flavor giving me heartburn?!?

A couple of years ago I discovered Rich Cinnamon. I loved it, more than any other flavor. I started off at the suggested low rates but very quickly ramped it up to .5-.7. I vaped it almost every day in one recipe or another. One day while swimming I had a burning sensation when breathing deeply and I was unable to fully inflate my lungs. This went on for at least a month til I thought about the RC. I immediately stopped vaping it and within a few days I was back to normal.

So, to address your question, shit yea, it could be giving you heartburn.

8 Likes

Might be off topic but get your gaul bladder checked

5 Likes

Have you tried aloe vera juice? I’ve had GERD off and on for years and it’s about the only thing that works for me. I use Tums for the occasional bout, but if 1 or 2 don’t cut the reflux then I’ll slam 2 oz of aloe vera in 8 oz of water and it shuts down my heartburn. I like George’s aloe vera juice - no taste and works well. Hope you get some relief soon. I’ve had a few odd reactions to juice before as well. Having wonky body chemistry is a pain in the butt!

Also, welcome to the forums!

6 Likes

Dang,alot of symptoms!! Come to think about it,I also get a runny nose too, but it isnt severe & it barely annoys me & I dont get it too often. Im allergic to multiple foods & many outdoor seasonal things so I wouldnt be surprised if something in flavors I could be allergic to as well.

@paingawd
No, I dont have aloe vera juice. Didnt know you could drink that diluted.

@Freddie3
Maybe it was there smell? Dont think reserve psychology will work on heartburn…and the only people Ive been around have been my roomies which own this house & my son that lives with me fulltime so I have no one else coming over,especially with everything shut down.

@Wombatred26
I havent tried any other grape flavors so I wouldnt know but that could be possible. Yep,the others werent as bad but Im telling you,that heartburn was worse then when I was 9months preggo about to pop.

@daath
Yes I drink only water & juice to stay balanced & hydrated.

@Ronni
I’ll be interested in looking that chemical up to see if there is any other info on it. last night,I ended up drinking almost half of my 1/2 gallon Silk almond milk carton & it finally went away. I really do like the grape juice TFA flavor but Im guessing my body doesnt. Maybe if I vape it again, it’ll be in short amounts & not 2 full days nonstop.

Since I’ve been doing bunch of testers for the past year, I’ve had lots of flavors I tested but I only made 6mg bottles so it wasnt enough to last me. Im wondering if any other flavors can cause this that I was barely using. There were only a few ejuices that I vaped in between the tester bottles to give myself a break from always trying to test & take notes. It was during those times,is when I experienced the heartburn as I vaped it more. Note keeping is important. I would have never discovered flavors could be doing this to me if it wasnt for me keeping notes to find out what was triggering this. Makes me realize,I need to do more note taking with all these testers to be more thorough & not just “it tastes good” :wink:

@Raven-Knightly
Thats interesting regarding Ethyl Acetate.
Its hard to tell how much is considered “low exposure levels”. I wonder how much Ethyl Acetate was in that 20ml bottle that had 10% flavor (it was a single flavor ejuice) I just vaped in those 2 days?

@natbone
Why did it take you a month to figure out it could have been the Rich Cinnamon? Thats along time to not be able to breath well. Hope it didnt leave you with any perm damages. Rich Cinnamon,what brand is that? I have Cinnamon Danish Swirl V2 CAP that Im using less & less cause I found Cinnamon Pastry WF that is delish all on its own unlike the Cinn Danish Swirl.

7 Likes

There are a slew of different brands of aloe juice out on the market. It used to be a pain trying to find- mostly in health food co-ops. Amazon carries George’s. I like it because there’s no funky taste to it. Some of the other ones on the market are a little too pungent for my liking.

4 Likes

If one would like to also consider Cinnamaldehyde (sometimes present in various flavors such as “fruit”, “berry”, “coffee”, “tobacco”, “sweet”) as a possible additional irritant, see links in previous posts (below):

6 Likes

In addition to Monday mornings (with associated possible “stressors”), the time period of ~40 minutes following initial waking (during which a lot goes on in internal “bodily chemistry”, such as increases in circulating Catecholamine levels) has also been identified as cardiovascular “kick the bucket” territory.

3 Likes

Not THAT! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!

3 Likes

Late to the party, and never had any issues with Grapes or Strawberries, but many/most tobacco’s give me the same issue(s).

3 Likes

That’s what I found when I thought it could be that. Got me off that right away.

2 Likes

Not with those exact flavors, but I do know someone who got hb from ws-23. So definitely possible.

As someone with constant hb\gerd nothing I did diet wise including losing literally 100lbs totally took it away. I take 1x20mg Omeprazole (tablets not the Omeprazole magnesium capsules) every day, although with the weight loss I can get away with every 3 but food will set it off then. You can get any generic version, 3x2wk supply for about $15 and it’ll start working by days end. Tums just brings it back worse for me. Zantac is okay, but not as good as Prilosec\Omeprazole.

3 Likes

This (2019) longitudinal study asserts significant dangers from regular use of Proton Pump Inhibitors:

Source: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/7/6/e015735/F1.large.jpg

BMJ Article: “Risk of death among users of Proton Pump Inhibitors:
a longitudinal observational cohort study of United States veterans

2 Likes

It’s caused by the calcium, if memory serves me. The calcium creates a situation called acid rebound. I can’t recall the exact physiological happenings, but if 1 or 2 Tums doesn’t shut down the heartburn, then eating a handful will just amplify the problem.

4 Likes

Tums are all Calcium (with a just a little tad of Sodium). Calcium supplementation is being “associated” with adverse cardiovascular events and death - at as little as 600 mg per day (each Tums tablet is 300 mg Calcium). Enough indications to scare me off. Magnesium is roughly as effective as an antacid, little is absorbed, and most is passed (thus the “Milk of Magnesia” laxative action). Magnesium Hydroxide (the “MOM” active ingredient) is relatively inexpensive in bulk. “Mag” is a significantly safer alternative (unless in Stage 4 or 5 of Chronic Kidney Disease, approaching renal failure and required dialysis, etc). Note that the Magnesium Oxide in (most) commercial “Mag” supplements is significantly less effective.

Neither Calcium or Magnesium are effective for very long - as they exit the stomach along with all else that is “in solution” (not “solid”), around 1/2 entering the small-intestine every 15-20 minutes time. Better (of course) to attempt to address “root causes” of the tissue irritations, lesions, and possible necrosis. The stomach (normally) produces dilute Hydrochloric Acid (in order to maintain pH of around 2.5-3.5).

It appears that “Proton Pump Inhibitors” (a bit more so than “Histamine Blockers”) are very risky meds.

4 Likes

I see on the recipe site of things, you vape a 50PG/50VG ratio. :thinking:

My son was having the same issue with heartburn and vaping; his ratio was the same. As soon as I talked him into a 20PG/80VG ratio, his heartburn subsided. That’s the story I have to tell. :wink:

Plus, just FYI… my spouse swears by ginger tea for acid reflux and heartburn. :grinning: She makes it from scratch.

11 Likes

Love your post. Back when I was still smoking and starting to feel sick I told my coworker, “I wish I could stop, I’m so sick of this.” She said I would stop because I just said it myself. “I’m sick of it.” Soon after, I started vaping and quit the cigs. My coworker was so happy. End of story. :grinning:

7 Likes

Your information prompted me to (finally) try to find some indication of the relative Hygroscopicity of Propylene Glycol (PG) as compared to Glycerol (VG). I have noticed a (subjective, unverified) “sense” that higher PG content relative to VG seems to have the effect of seeming to “dry out” the mucous membranes in my throat when vaping. We know that the BP of PG is ~188 *C, while that of VG is ~290 *C. Saturation Vapor Pressure of PG appears to be no less than ~50 times that of VG (at ~200 *C):

Source:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786826.2016.1245405#supplemental-material-section

… from the Supplemental Information document accompanying this interesting vaping-related paper:

Thermodynamic and kinetic behavior of glycerol aerosol” (2016)

3 Likes

Hey fam., I’ve been reading the different perceptions ppl have with heartburn dealing with e-juice…, I’m going to say for a fact tht the difference in ratios between of PG will differ with heartburn…, and I deal with it all the time…, I normally vape 70/30 blend, not only do I get the heartburn but I also have the stomach acid issue where it burns all the way up & back down my esophagus…, 60/40 blend makes it worse 50/50 is even worse :worried:…, I’ve tried most of what doctors have to prescribe & it hasn’t really ever been effective… the best thing tht I have found for it was Ranitidine…, oh man… tht stuff worked wonders for me​:sunglasses: but a while back they made a recall on it & I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I found this… Cimetidine 200mg Acid Reducing tabs…, it generally works for me…, I still have occasional “burns”, but nothing like b4 I take med… u can pick it up from a local walmart for under $10 for a months supply…, there r 60 pills in a bottle & it says to take 1 tab 30min b4 eating or drinking heartburn causing foods…, & it says not to take more than 2 within a 24hr. period, so I take two together… mainly at night b4 i go into work… helps all night and most of the next day…, although if i forget it one night I’ll have constant occasional flare-ups…, my conclusion… go with higher VG, it could be part of ur bodies tolerance to the PG… or just try the Cimetidine for a few… up to u! Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Have you tried Omeprazole? It’s 1 pill\day & can eat anything on it. I should clarify I’ve had it all my life starting in high school, got worse in 20s. Started with zantac then tried this stuff & world of difference. If you have insurance your Dr can give you a scrip for the Omeprazole magnesium, which I thought were more along zantac strength, and the generic is only co-pay then.

I believe there were some tainted batches of randitine. Full on recall. Can read here: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-requests-removal-all-ranitidine-products-zantac-market

6 Likes

Yes…, I have tried just about everything perscription wise and nothing has seemed to work except the Ranitidine and the Cimetidine…, C doesn’t work as good as the R did…, but that’ll do, as I have had stomach acid issues all my life… when I was a kid I would wake in the middle of the night throwing up nothing but kinda thick yellowish-green liquid tht the ppl @ the hospital said was stomach acid…, have tried everything prilosec zantac… everything… & nothing compared to these lil cheap meds! The one thing that I have saw tht helps is reducing my sugar intake… as sugar causes heartburn… any kind of sugar!

3 Likes