Am I going insane or is this flavor giving me heartburn?!?

Not with those exact flavors, but I do know someone who got hb from ws-23. So definitely possible.

As someone with constant hb\gerd nothing I did diet wise including losing literally 100lbs totally took it away. I take 1x20mg Omeprazole (tablets not the Omeprazole magnesium capsules) every day, although with the weight loss I can get away with every 3 but food will set it off then. You can get any generic version, 3x2wk supply for about $15 and it’ll start working by days end. Tums just brings it back worse for me. Zantac is okay, but not as good as Prilosec\Omeprazole.

3 Likes

This (2019) longitudinal study asserts significant dangers from regular use of Proton Pump Inhibitors:

Source: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/7/6/e015735/F1.large.jpg

BMJ Article: “Risk of death among users of Proton Pump Inhibitors:
a longitudinal observational cohort study of United States veterans

2 Likes

It’s caused by the calcium, if memory serves me. The calcium creates a situation called acid rebound. I can’t recall the exact physiological happenings, but if 1 or 2 Tums doesn’t shut down the heartburn, then eating a handful will just amplify the problem.

4 Likes

Tums are all Calcium (with a just a little tad of Sodium). Calcium supplementation is being “associated” with adverse cardiovascular events and death - at as little as 600 mg per day (each Tums tablet is 300 mg Calcium). Enough indications to scare me off. Magnesium is roughly as effective as an antacid, little is absorbed, and most is passed (thus the “Milk of Magnesia” laxative action). Magnesium Hydroxide (the “MOM” active ingredient) is relatively inexpensive in bulk. “Mag” is a significantly safer alternative (unless in Stage 4 or 5 of Chronic Kidney Disease, approaching renal failure and required dialysis, etc). Note that the Magnesium Oxide in (most) commercial “Mag” supplements is significantly less effective.

Neither Calcium or Magnesium are effective for very long - as they exit the stomach along with all else that is “in solution” (not “solid”), around 1/2 entering the small-intestine every 15-20 minutes time. Better (of course) to attempt to address “root causes” of the tissue irritations, lesions, and possible necrosis. The stomach (normally) produces dilute Hydrochloric Acid (in order to maintain pH of around 2.5-3.5).

It appears that “Proton Pump Inhibitors” (a bit more so than “Histamine Blockers”) are very risky meds.

4 Likes

I see on the recipe site of things, you vape a 50PG/50VG ratio. :thinking:

My son was having the same issue with heartburn and vaping; his ratio was the same. As soon as I talked him into a 20PG/80VG ratio, his heartburn subsided. That’s the story I have to tell. :wink:

Plus, just FYI… my spouse swears by ginger tea for acid reflux and heartburn. :grinning: She makes it from scratch.

11 Likes

Love your post. Back when I was still smoking and starting to feel sick I told my coworker, “I wish I could stop, I’m so sick of this.” She said I would stop because I just said it myself. “I’m sick of it.” Soon after, I started vaping and quit the cigs. My coworker was so happy. End of story. :grinning:

7 Likes

Your information prompted me to (finally) try to find some indication of the relative Hygroscopicity of Propylene Glycol (PG) as compared to Glycerol (VG). I have noticed a (subjective, unverified) “sense” that higher PG content relative to VG seems to have the effect of seeming to “dry out” the mucous membranes in my throat when vaping. We know that the BP of PG is ~188 *C, while that of VG is ~290 *C. Saturation Vapor Pressure of PG appears to be no less than ~50 times that of VG (at ~200 *C):

Source:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786826.2016.1245405#supplemental-material-section

… from the Supplemental Information document accompanying this interesting vaping-related paper:

Thermodynamic and kinetic behavior of glycerol aerosol” (2016)

3 Likes

Hey fam., I’ve been reading the different perceptions ppl have with heartburn dealing with e-juice…, I’m going to say for a fact tht the difference in ratios between of PG will differ with heartburn…, and I deal with it all the time…, I normally vape 70/30 blend, not only do I get the heartburn but I also have the stomach acid issue where it burns all the way up & back down my esophagus…, 60/40 blend makes it worse 50/50 is even worse :worried:…, I’ve tried most of what doctors have to prescribe & it hasn’t really ever been effective… the best thing tht I have found for it was Ranitidine…, oh man… tht stuff worked wonders for me​:sunglasses: but a while back they made a recall on it & I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I found this… Cimetidine 200mg Acid Reducing tabs…, it generally works for me…, I still have occasional “burns”, but nothing like b4 I take med… u can pick it up from a local walmart for under $10 for a months supply…, there r 60 pills in a bottle & it says to take 1 tab 30min b4 eating or drinking heartburn causing foods…, & it says not to take more than 2 within a 24hr. period, so I take two together… mainly at night b4 i go into work… helps all night and most of the next day…, although if i forget it one night I’ll have constant occasional flare-ups…, my conclusion… go with higher VG, it could be part of ur bodies tolerance to the PG… or just try the Cimetidine for a few… up to u! Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Have you tried Omeprazole? It’s 1 pill\day & can eat anything on it. I should clarify I’ve had it all my life starting in high school, got worse in 20s. Started with zantac then tried this stuff & world of difference. If you have insurance your Dr can give you a scrip for the Omeprazole magnesium, which I thought were more along zantac strength, and the generic is only co-pay then.

I believe there were some tainted batches of randitine. Full on recall. Can read here: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-requests-removal-all-ranitidine-products-zantac-market

6 Likes

Yes…, I have tried just about everything perscription wise and nothing has seemed to work except the Ranitidine and the Cimetidine…, C doesn’t work as good as the R did…, but that’ll do, as I have had stomach acid issues all my life… when I was a kid I would wake in the middle of the night throwing up nothing but kinda thick yellowish-green liquid tht the ppl @ the hospital said was stomach acid…, have tried everything prilosec zantac… everything… & nothing compared to these lil cheap meds! The one thing that I have saw tht helps is reducing my sugar intake… as sugar causes heartburn… any kind of sugar!

3 Likes

I’ve had the same problem. Just throwing in my 2 cents. All the expensive stuff never worked. When the tums stopped working decades ago I switched to Gaviscon.

5 Likes

I would think over doing anything can make things worse. I would only take maybe 2 tums at the most, then if that isnt working go onto something else which I did.

@Raven-Knightly
I refuse to take any OTC meds as I heard about them not being so good but I didnt know they were that bad. Actually my stomach doctor told me to not take anything for too long.

@Kinnikinnick
20/80 for maybe drippers. I do 50/50 due to my MTL RTA’s (its all I have. I do have 1 dripper but I never use it). If I do use the dripper, I would def up my VG for that. I noticed if I do 60VG or more for the RTA’s, I get dry hits & I burn my cotton. Yes, ginger tea could be helpful…I used to suck on ginger lollipops when I was preggo. Ginger suppose to help with nausea… I believe peppermint too

@St3v0
Im curious to know what active ingredient is in Cimetidine. I also would express that I too was having the stomach acid feeling as well…at least that is what mine starts out as,acidy stomach which turns into heartburn soon afterwards if I dont nip it in the butt. I do feel your pain as well with stomach issues (pun intended). I have multiple foods allergies since I could remember & I didnt know what was causing all my nausea & pain. My parents blamed me for just wanting attention all thru the years (from 1st grade till i graduated). Fast forward 16th yrs (2009) & I found out it was foods my body was allergic to. Im surprised I dont have heartburn as a result of my perm damage stomach lining but they said it doesnt look that bad when they put a camera down my throat to look at it. So i spent a long time eating right,avoiding all the foods that make me ill & took lots of supplements to help heal my stomach…so when I got the heartburn issues in the last year, I became very worried since I spent so much effort,time & money trying to heal my gut.

@muth
Sounds like you have a great person to be around that can & will support you. Thats awesome!

5 Likes

@ali206

3 Likes

Didn’t want u to think I was b.s.ing when I said the active ingredient is Cimetidine

2 Likes

Don’t know what cimetidine is but now I’m thinking about it, I’ll go look it up

2 Likes

Well…, I take tht back…, I looked up Cimetidine & it told me a little info on it & it says tht a brand of it is Tagamet…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:… tht’s weird tho…, Tagamet never helped me b4 so IDK :neutral_face:

3 Likes

“Survival probability” for (long-term) use of such H2-blockers (in general) shown in the RED plot here.

https://www.aboutgerd.org/medications/h2-blockers.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/histamine-h2-antagonist-oral-route-injection-route-intravenous-route/proper-use/drg-20068584?p=1

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-and-press-announcements-ndma-zantac-ranitidine

5 Likes

Thnx🤗!!!

4 Likes

Strange as it is… Different companies making it does make a difference sometimes.

I can’t use Equate’s version of Gaviscon, as it doesn’t give the same results. Even though the label says they’re identical.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of flavours giving one heartburn, but I do know that nicotine can cause it. Be a terrible shame if you can’t vape strawberries (even though I struggle to taste them now). Strawberry has to be one of the best fruits in a vape, imo.

3 Likes