Am I going insane or is this flavor giving me heartburn?!?

There are many better strawberries out there than TPA. Many. Check them out. There are just too many to write down here, but FA Red touch is a good old staple. OOO Ripe and their strawberry jam. WF juicy, INW Shisha, and many more. JF Sweet Strawberry, how could I have forgotten that one?! Maybe someone else can chime in. MF are supposed to be fabulous but they’re very expensive and I’ve never used them. Good luck.

4 Likes

Do you know why they withdrew the Ranitadine? I’ve got loads of them. I’m in the UK and my partner is prescribed them.

2 Likes

Here in the US, I know they recalled them…, my mum was prescribed them as well…, I’ll ask her what it was about & get back 2 u.

2 Likes

I ask & she tells me something wasn’t right with ingredients or something like that & that it was said to cause cancer(whatever was wrong with it) :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I want to comment on this just because I’ve experienced it but never heard anyone else say that they’ve experienced it before this post. I’ve noticed that recipes with a higher % of lemon (specifically lemon Sicily fa) give me heartburn! I love that flavor and was working on a lemon meringue recipe with it for a while but had to give it up because I was constantly getting heartburn after vaping it. :sob: I think it’s probably a personal thing, I’ve never had heartburn problems with any grapes I’ve vaped like the op has, my issue seems to be just with that lemon. But body chemistry is different for everyone. Figured I’d throw it out there so the op knows it’s not just her lol :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks. :thinking::+1:

2 Likes

I read to the point where the OP mentioned runny nose and had to reply. I am highly allergic to Nsaids, like aspirin, ibuprophen, etc. I get the heartburn, nausia, runny nose, itchy eyes, etc whenever I have taken it. So maybe you are having an allergic reaction to something.

I know quite a few people are actually allergic to PG. So being allergic to something in a flavoring could very well be it. I hope your process of elimination helps you.

6 Likes

Yep, it was contaminated with a cancerous substance, hence the recall. Not only the Ranitidine, everything that ends in tidine.
They talked me into taking that stuff because of HB. Told me that if I looked at the overall picture it was better to take the tablets to prevent getting cancer from the reflux.
Then I got the call from the chemist to return them ASAP, so that worked out great.

Omeprazole tends to lead to osteoporosis, so I gave them a miss.
Another little detail that I picked up during the corona crisis BS is that these acid reducers cause a higher risk of pneumonia, which, according to some medics, is not a good thing when there’s a virus going around that targets the lungs.

Taking these acid reducers long term will lead to your body not producing acids anymore. You’ll have to start taking pills to tackle that :frowning:

With me I discovered the culprit was coffee. Taking it with a lot of milk (rice milk in my case) has stopped the HB.
Diet people, diet, most important of all.
I know it’s nice to be able to take a pill and then you can eat whatever you like but damage is still being done.
Pills just take away the symptoms.

9 Likes

@Steve68 Actually its just not a few strawberries but also Grape Juice TFA is the one that gives me the most heartburn. I like to vape that flavor solo & I noticed if I vape it too long,I start feeling the heartburn so I dont vape it as much now…its more like a treat instead of a ADV :frowning:

@Ths1MxrChk. I havent had any issues with Lemon FA yet but I also dont have any recipes that needs that flavor at high %'s either. I have tried a lemon cookie recipe someone made on here which is actually pretty good & it called for 5% lemon FA. The grape juice TFA I have vaped solo at 10% and it def makes me stop in my tracks with heartburn to the point it gives me nausea.

I’ve tried doing research about this & found nothing. Its why I made this post to reach out to everyone else to see if flavors is what is causing it. Glad Im not the only one.

@LordVapor Yes,I am guessing the runny nose has to do with a possible PG allergy since I have many food allergies it makes sense. But its not annoying me enough for me to stop using PG as I tend to make my juice 50/50 since I use a MTL RTA’s. I dont get runny nose every time I vape either so its not daily which I found odd since I vape every day.

4 Likes

Now that you mention it, I do get heartburn vaping. Usually in the evening for some strange reason. I’d always attributed it to the nicotine, but now I’m not so sure.

4 Likes

@ali206, I also suffer from heartburn with certain strawberries, most lemons and a lot of commercial juices. I only vape 70vg/30pg juice as more PG makes it so much worse.

You said previously that you vape 50/50 due to only using MTL RTA’s… may I ask which RTA’s you are using. I only use MTL RTA’s too and have no problems with up to 80% VG mixes.

5 Likes

*No rational evidence except personal observations. *

But…

Some grape flavours, aromatic tobaccos, cocoa/chocolatey flavours, anything labeled “fresh” and/or “tropic”, Koolada, WS-23, eucalyptus, cinnamon, aloe vera, Lychee, papaya, some lemons like @lanc13 said cause heartburn and cough to me. But no problem with any berry and mint/peppermint.

4 Likes

Thanks for the quotable @mayk.

For all the folks suffering above. I was the guy with the big Jug-o-Tums on my office desk …until 12 years ago. I was into the science of food flavorings/additives before vaping. I only had to change a few things to get permanent relief …all dietary. At that time I was making good money along with all my friends/coworkers and I ate almost every meal at restaurants. Trusting someone else blindly (and randomly!) to prepare all your meals is a recipe for gastro-disaster.

Having a vape flavoring trigger heartburn may be a matter of a “tipping point”. You’re already close to an episode and then a minor change (chemically) pushes that mechanism over the edge. All the talk above likely points to such a trigger, but everything you ate today is more than likely what’s relevant. Refer to my quote …this is just what worked for me. Looking back I think I’ve had 4 Tums in a dozen years.

I only gave up a few things and added a few. First I make almost all my food from raw ingredients. Restaurants are more carefully chosen as is the menu choice. I worked in the restaurant biz for 9 years. I’d say 25% of “heartburn” is mild food poisoning. I avoid the Daily Specials and return barely-warm soup to the kitchen. Vaping food flavorings is one thing …but we have a detailed view into those. Food additives are a whole different ball game

Oh and I don’t do Buffets (anymore). When your Profit Margin is tied to how cheaply you can cut corners, it can’t be good. Lot’s a additives like powdered chicory (inulin) to make you feel full faster are the the tip of that iceberg. All said manufactured food is a designed on profitability not health.

Next? Emulsifiers. You know those “enteric” coated meds that are made to not dissolve in your acidic stomach but later in the caustic/bile environment of your intestines? Two opposing digestive machines with a balance need to work correctly. Your stomach has a lipid/fat layer to resist the corrosion from stomach acid and a sphincter (pyloric) at the bottom that senses when it time to hand off to the intestines. Emulsifiers are used in food production to get fats and water to blend. Read: Ice Cream, Tub-o-margarine etc.

The US allows emulsifiers that are banned in the EU. What is happening when you eat a quart of ice dream and a big shot of emulsifiers gets a crack at emulsifying your stomach lining? All the other stuff in prepared food is too numerous to consider and is mostly a hidden fact. Me? I love ice cream, but I buy ice cream bars or sandwiches to limit the portion …again it’s a tipping point game. Same could be said for vaping Max VG instead of 70/30 if PG was your issue.

Growing up in America cows milk was literally poured down our necks. I went from buying 2 gallons of milk a week to 1 quart (must have for cooking or Cheerios) For smoothies and such I use Almond Milk. For that ice cream craving I eat a small serving of Fage Total 5% Fat yogurt with some honey of berries …appetite slain. That’s my next complaint “Low Fat” and 0% fat yogurt …or anything along those lines. Who convinced people to buy fake food with no calories or food value?

I’ll skip over sugar. I love it in controlled doses and more natural sources like that raw honey on my yogurt. We all know it’s bad and we’re mostly all addicted. Keeping the topic “Heartburn” my main point is fake foods like oil and water emulsified into tubs of I-Caan’t-Believe-Anyone-Uses-This-As-Butter and even sticks of fake-@ss American butter is wrecking the mechanism of your digestion. Oh one last thing …Water.

Wow I love a nice cool glass of Restaurant water. I can often predict how good my meal is going to be by that glass of water they bring first. It means they care to invest in a nice filtration system. You probably should too. Getting all the water you need daily from your kitchen tap can be an unsatisfying disappointment. Safety aside, it often just doesn’t have a super clean taste …and it may lead to drinking less. I just enjoy my refrigerator water-in-the-door thingy, but I change my filter regularly. Look on Amazon for lowest prices. Splurge. Sufficient water is critical to move food through your gut.

OK ok venturing to the TL:DR :wink: I also had (had!) regular Kidney Stone episodes (genetic). I drink about a quart of cranberry juice a week in my water …delicious dilution at about 5:1 plus lots of ice (so maybe 7:1) 12 years no kidney stones etc. Since I also stopped Soda a little Cran guarantees I drink plenty of water. Just making my own food I get to avoid all the sketchy additives used to make 1 pound of food into 1.5 pounds of food and anecdotally I can say it’s been totally effective.

My point as it relates to the OP is that there may be some limit we all have as individuals …that Tipping Point? …where all it takes in one more straw in the camel’s stomach. Think of the things you can do to balance the Tummy machine …get a little farther back from that brink. I didn’t really sacrifice anything …just avoided a buncha modern crap. Thanks for reading my little BoDiary :sunglasses:

15 Likes

Awesome write up brother, and tons of truth that a lot of people simply aren’t going to believe (or want to hear)!

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for writing this out for people that probably don’t take the time to find/learn/observe such information. Great post! :thumbsup:

10 Likes

Maybe not quite on topic but I’ve gotten rid of my heartburn after reducing soft drinks and fruit juices. Coke has a pH value of under 3 as far as I know, that’s why it works so well for cleaning toilets.

6 Likes

Thank you for this detailed answer :). I’ll try cranberry dilution too.

4 Likes

Got 2 of each:
Fresia by Damn Vape
Diamond by Damn Vape
Merlin by Augvape

And I use a GeekVape Aegis Solo Mod and run it at about 18-20watts. I dont cloud chase…I rather have flavor over clouds and with 80% VG, you cant vape in public bathrooms LOL Its easier to mix at 50/50 especially if you like to chain vape and to prevent dry hits which I have gotten with 30PG/70VG before…

EDIT: oh and I forgot,I have the Berserker by Vandyvape. Its probably my favorite one out of them all.

4 Likes

I can see food being a possible issue…but for me,I havent eaten at a restaurant in over 10 years since I was diagnosed with having multiple food allergies… the main ones being dairy,eggs, wheat, honey, pork and peanuts to name a few…which are the ones you mentioned. Im allergic to about 34 different foods in total. I tend to cook from scratch because Im allergic to so many foods. I rarely eat anything processed because of my allergies. When I grocery shop, I tend to buy things on the outside of the stores since that is where most of the whole foods are located and I usually tend to just drink water, juice or unsweeten Silk almond milk.

4 Likes

I’ve had this from citrus flavors it never lasts long but it’s happened a few times

4 Likes

Mine was coffee. It took me a while to find that out.
I would only drink it in the morning and had heartburn at night.
When I was ill and skipped the coffee the problem was gone.

Now I drown my coffee in almond milk, no problem there either.

6 Likes