Anti Virus for laptops

I bought a new laptop yesterday and it was hard for me because im really stupid when it comes to technology , seriously i get headaches trying to listen and without @Ken_O_Where help i would have been completely lost so ty ken , but they were offering all kinds of additional stuff Anti Virus being one but this came with a subscription and it seemed to be spendy so i told the salesperson id have to talk to my friends so here i am asking for some help , is there a anti virus that anyone can suggest a free one would be even better or are they even needed , ive read anti virus programs are viruses themselves which really threw me off any help would be appreciated

I’ve used Avast Free Antivirus the last ten years and I’ve never had any problems with my computers.

3 Likes

I use Superantispyware (free edition) and malwarebytes (free edition)

3 Likes

are these things i just look up and follow directions and download ??? @anon60225325 @DrChud

btw thank you very much

I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to anything tech but I was advised to get both of those and I’ve had no problems since. Just download and follow the instructions. Maybe @Grubby could chime in on this one before you do anything.

1 Like

Yup, easy peasy! :+1:

2 Likes

Cheapskates unite! Lol

3 Likes

lol i just dont know if 130 dollars on too of the laptop plus a 25$ yearly fee is worth it especially when i asked , " if i buy this and i get a virus you guys will fix it ? " and the answer was NOPE lmao

1 Like

Imo it’s never worth it lol

1 Like

i couldnt believe the additional options they have it was like buying a car i was having a great day shopping with my girl and when i was done with the laptop i had to go home and take a nap lol

2 Likes

Is it a Windows laptop? If so, they have Microsoft Security Essentials and it is completely free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

1 Like

I dont use a LIVE Anti Virus because they are resource hogs and really not needed imo.

I do however use Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/ Free Version

I only run it if I feel I have downloaded / installed something dodgy.

Remember this, viruses have to be installed 99% of the time, I haven’t had a virus for years because I am very cautious about how I travel around the web and I have been to some dark corners believe me…

If your wary and you clean up often you should not have an issue, like anything, if your reckless you pay the price.

1 Like

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-110-15isk-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-ebony-black/5707528.p?skuId=5707528

this was it but yesterday it was 259 last day of sale , i still havent opened it because ken was helping me and the one i was going to buy was 20 dollars less but 4gb memory and less harddrive 500??? instead of the 1tb and supposedly the i33 is better as well , please remember i have no clue what im saying just tryi g to repeat what i remember lol

4 Likes

im only using this for things like ELR and to type a legal letter or something which ill use google docs

The most important part is how powerful the wizards that live inside it are. They’re what make it work.

3 Likes

thats exactly how i feel brother

2 Likes

Intel i3-i5
4GB RAM Minimum
1TB HDD

Depending on what your doing those should be fine for the most part

If your doing more resource intensive activities like photoshop / video rendering / games then you would want

Intel i5 and up
8GB Ram Minimum
Some kind of Graphics card
1TB HDD with maybe an SSD Drive for the OS

1 Like

You could do this with the cheapest laptop you can buy probably only need to spend $100 :laughing:

1 Like

can i put quickbooks on this ?

1 Like