Anybody Else Had Covid-19 Yet?

I know here in the USA, you call your Dr or the hospital and tell them your symptoms… and they tell you where to go if you need to go for a test. You have to have it bad for them to keep you.

5 Likes

That’s the way it was here (Boston) back when I wasn’t well in late February but supposedly we’re getting more kits for more widespread testing and preventive measures.

5 Likes

I hope they’ll start to test everyone who wants a test. I think it will be useful to test as many as possible, if for nothing else than statistics and to gain knowledge.

8 Likes

I didn’t plan on being so profuse but thought it might help others if they fall ill and had descriptions.

In late February I went to Florida with 3 other family members. One by one we all got sick. It took me about 2+ weeks to say I was 100% better. At first I thought I was getting the usual cold because I woke up with that scratchy feeling and taste in my throat. But it was different like you say. I immediately start gargling with salty warm water several Xs a day when that happens.

For a brief moment my throat really hurt then quickly passed. I had a slight headache. The glands in my neck got a wee bit sore but not swollen. No temperature that I could see (on the damn ancient thermometer) and no stuffiness. I did have a non-productive cough but it didn’t prevent me from sleeping. Then the cough became productive with a fair amount of greenish/grayish/tan sludge. I noticed a bit of lung wheezing while laying down. Still, I slept well at night and the stuffiness in my nasal area was minimal. I wasn’t blowing my nose much. One night my head sweated a lot. I felt better in the mornings but energy quickly waned. I took naps. As I started to recover my phlegm became lighter in color and clear. I should add that this season, because of my work, I had decided to get a flu and pneumonia shot. Plus, I’m not a spring chicken anymore.

The experience was different than the usual cough and cold. Prior to this and after quitting cigs I hadn’t had a cold in 6 years. Alison, the first to get sick was pulled off her job, after returning, and sent to the hospital. She’s still sick and has nodules on her lungs. We don’t know what that means yet. Her 17 yr old daughter has recovered and her older sister still doesn’t feel well but much better. As it stands, the youngest and the oldest (me) recovered 100 % and the quickest. Also, we’re the only non-smokers of the group.

In retrospect, it wasn’t too bad. I’ve had worse but I did feel downright awful in the thick of it. Make a BIG pot of chicken soup, bath when you can, stay warm, hydrated and sleep. Basically all the things you would normally do to boost your immune system.

ETA: Alison has an underlying condition, RA.

6 Likes

This might be a major part of the reason the UK is in big trouble with Covid-19, everywhere else I’ve heard of is 14 days isolation.

5 Likes

If a person who isn’t infected but is in a household where somebody has been infected, they need to stay isolated for 14 days (to cover the 7 days incubation period + 7 days infection).

The person that bought the infection in the house, firstly, has already gone through the 7 day incubation period (unknowingly) so only needs to isolate for the 7 days infected period.

My understanding the vast majority of people only show signs of infection for a maximum of 7 days and even if you still have a cough, you can go about your business as you are not infectious, but still following government guidelines, hygiene and social distancing rules

If widescale testing of everyone was available, the first person infected in the household (me) could have been identified earlier, unfortunately that isn’t the case here and although I had been in the house and know where else for 6 days prior to developing symptoms, that isn’t going to be the case for everyone, who is infected and they will be going about maybe doing there work in a shop or travelling to work even with the restrictions and social distancing unaware, they have it unfortunately. i would be very surprised if this isn’t the case on nearly worldwide scale tbh.

Unless you shutdown the whole world and make everyone stay in their house and not come out till a vaccine is found, infections will happen and continue to happen, even with these restrictions, but at least it is on a reduced scale, than rather letting everybody carry on as normal and doing the eugenics thing.

4 Likes

The problem of being tested is there is a shortage of test kits. The kits are coming online now in any quantity and they still have to be distributed all states in the US.
The state I live in expects to able to test 50,000 a day in the near future when the tests are shipped.

4 Likes

The problem is that you can’t know in advance who it is dangerous for. Today we had a 12 yo girl die in Ghent (Belgium), the youngest victim in Europe so far. 3 days of fever, went to hospital and never came back. Even if the parents suspected covid-19, they had no real reason to be worried because she wasn’t in any risk group. No pre-existing conditions.
That being said, the majority of sick people won’t even need a hospital and deaths in young people is still extremely rare.

3 Likes

My neighbors think they may have had it. He discibed it as “The worst flue of my life”. Flue like symptoms, fever, cold sweats/hot flashes, towards the end he was very congested. He said he needed to cough stuff up but it wouldn’t come out. It could’ve been or might even be probable that it was some other virus. We live in a semi-remote part of the country and this was a couple of weeks ago. I don’t follow the news closely so I have no idea.

3 Likes

Well I typed that a bit premature, it came back to bite me in the arse 8 hours later and gave me a worrying 36 hours or so, cough came back twice as vicious and painful with it in my lungs, every time I did. Also experienced shortness of breath and struggling to get air into me for the first time in my life, for 24 hours or so and if that is what proper asthmatics have to go through, you have my respect. A little bit scary tbh.

Reluctant to call it over for a second time, but woke up this morning and my whole body although sore in places from all the coughing, feels very, very different in a good way than it did this time yesterday. So fingers crossed, that really is it now.

Stay safe everyone and just stay indoors unless you really, really have to go outside. It’s not pleasant, even if this is what they class as mild symptoms, in my experience.

7 Likes

Daughter’s symptoms has lessened considerably. I was expecting her to get a bit worse after she got better, but it seems it just got better. Might just be because she’s young. She’s not recovered yet, but she’s OK now.

12 Likes

I have read that it comes and goes in waves. Fingers crossed that all are well now.

4 Likes

Honestly…felt I had it back in Dec of 2019. There’s been talk of others feeling the same way, and that’s it’s been around for about a year. I had ALL the symptoms, but seemed to go through it rather quickly (4-7 days). Had I know about hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, I would’ve requested the dr give me a script for both. Kicked its ass in 3 days instead of 7!! Hope you feel better brother…GODSPEED!

Stixx

3 Likes

In december 19? Are you in china?

3 Likes

I recently posted a (seemingly coherent) article indicating nearby incidents around one month prior to the Dec 11, 2019 case commonly reported (several prior likely cases in mid November, 2019, not far away in China). Seattle, WA, USA appears to have had COVID-19 circulating in early January 2020. Plenty of university students returning from China to the University of Washington for the start of Winter Quarter. The documented reports likely reflect a mere “smattering” of (actual, still untested) incidences.

3 Likes

I remember reading something about this. But it was in one of the scare threads. So I just skimmed reading it. Sorry raven.

3 Likes

My friend, nobody “owns the truth”. Truths are often darker and more obscure than we might prefer.
:+1:

4 Likes

No…California

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know if I had it or not. Fever of over 100 for a week, started with the worst headache imaginable. Nausea, vomiting, the chills and aching joints. Took 2 weeks to start to feel better and I’m still weaker than before it started. Fortunately, I never really had any respiratory issues other than a lower than normal O2 sat (94%, usually sit around 98%)

2 Likes

The same story for millions. You’d have to be a celebrity to wrangle an (itself unreliable) test - and the “best” that you might get are (physician/state) quarantine orders, and a future whopping medical debt.

2 Likes