Anyone seen this scale?

Looks very interesting!

6 Likes

ooh…USB powered. I like that. A lot. The price is decent as well. I may have to think about this one as I have two etek’s already. But…

1 Like

Yes, that’s a nice touch!
they’ve styled them on the dearer lab ones:

1 Like

Yep, but 13£ vs 100£ :smile: I’m curious if it’s any good. It doesn’t look like they ship to Europe…

1 Like

Yup,
The extra decimal point in accuracy =
an extra decimal point in the price :wink:

1 Like

That would be it :slight_smile: I bet the one I posted is just like one of the other cheap pocket scales, just with a different design :smile:

1 Like

Of course the main advantage of a power lead is (hopefully) none of that panic-mode trying to defeat auto-shut off timer as VG dribbles down at the speed of snot.
:sweat:

probably similar mechanism inside but looks sturdier, also the USB lead that Lostmarbles
mentioned means no need for regional plug if imported from US. (or just power from a laptop)

I think its a good find… I would buy
if i didn’t have 3 scales already :smirk:

2 Likes

Does this scale have an automatic shutoff feature to save batteries? If so, will it shut off when using USB cord?
I find it impossible to contact the seller to ask the question. This is a gamble in my book. No information/intended functioning available to make a smart decision/have grounds to even attempt to return it not working properly.
Hate gambling with money.

2 Likes

Just talk to Kathleen, the seller (sheer luck to find them) for the SF-400C subject scale. She tells me that the scale has an automatic cut off feature for both battery and plug in mode (around 60 sec.).
Kathleen also tells me that all the scales she sells have this automatic cutoff feature. So beware, if a scale is powered by a battery, plug in, or both, folks need to establish the presence or non presence of a automatic cutoff feature and decide accordingly.

I know this thread is old but the Digital Scales thread is closed and I have a question. Is it common for a scale to be so sensitive that just leaning on the table will register a measurement? My scale is sitting level.

3 Likes

Yes some scales a very sensitive , just breathing will make the numbers fluctuate…

2 Likes

All scales that are this sensitive (0.01g or better) will register air movement. Even if I pick up a concentrate and move my hand too quickly to the bottle, the scale starts to fluctuate from the movement of air. Perfectly normal.
That’s the reason why you’ll see such scales in a lab always surrounded in a glass cage to avoid any external influence.

If you drip a drop or 2 in your bottle and the scale doesn’t register it, it often helps to blow softly on the scale to overcome its internal resistance (and with blowing, I just mean softly breathing onto it).

2 Likes

Perfectly normal muth. I have to turn my ceiling fan off when I mix. I also blow on the scale to get it back on track.

2 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes @anon28032772 @Letitia Thank you all for the help. I’d like to mix today and checked the calibration with a clean, 1983+ US penny which is supposed to weigh exactly 2.50 grams. My scale measured 2.45. Should I be concerned about a 0.05 difference? I have OCD and my scale doesn’t have a 100g calibration weight. I want to do some 10 ml testers.

1 Like

I would never take a penny as a calibration weight, especially not if it’s an older one. Use a proper calibration weight if you feel the need to.
Even if your scale is 2% off, it’s really not going to make a difference with your mixing, that’s just too little to notice (and that 2% would be measured for all your liquids so it’ll mostly equal out in any case). Recipes are based on %, not exact weights and those %'s will remain pretty much intact working with a scale that’s a little off. It would mostly be a problem if you need to have an exact total (e.g. jewelers who sell gold by the gram).

2 Likes

It was a shiny, 2017 penny but either way, sounds like I can go ahead and do some mixing. I can get a weight from amazon but I have the time to mix today. I was willing to use syringes for the testers but I also have a 30ml recipe with 7 flavors. Ugh, all that cleaning!

3 Likes

I really couldn’t be bothered with the exactness of my scale. The total volume of my liquids fills my bottles to the top, so I know it’s about right and my recipes still taste about the same as when I started off with syringes. If you mix something you know with the scale and it turns out the same as with your syringes, it’d just be a waste of time, effort and money to get those calibration weights IMO.

3 Likes

Thank you, Suomynona, I like and needed to hear your advice. I’ll be mixing new flavors so I don’t know what to expect but, still, from what you’re expressing it sounds like I’ll be fine and I can stop obsessing!

3 Likes

Do you use extracts ??? Like Medicine Flower ?? Or even some FLV like their rich cinnamon , pink guava etc??? If so then there could be a potential problem with a bigger mix , just a few drops of these tyoe of flavors can alter a mix. I do calibrate my scale every so often…

3 Likes

When a scale is off by a % or 2 … does that count for all weights (e.g. a linear off) or is it greater/smaller for different total weights?
Could be just my ignorance, but I haven’t noticed any problems and I do use FLV and some extremely potent flavors.

3 Likes