Best MTL tank

Hello boys and girls!

Looking for a good 22 mm MTL RTA. Can you please share your experience?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve been through 5 of these (MTL - 22mm). The best I’ve found by far is the VandyVape Beserker Mini. Rejects include Kanger, Aspire, and some Kfun clones from China.

The VandyVape Beserker Mini leaked a lot at first. Then I read a tip somewhere to bottom fill it instead of top fill. Zero leaking after I did that. Apparently when you top fill, putting the cap on adds pressure to the tank that forces juice out through the air holes. You are supposed to close the air holes before top filling and I did that, but as soon as you open them they leak. Just removing the bottom and putting it back relieves the pressure and stops leaks.

The deck is easy to re-wick and recoil. Much easier than others. I use a 1.8 to 2.0 ohm, 2.5mm diameter coil at 7.5 to 8.0 volts and MTL vaping is great. Good vapor, but not too much to draw attention (stealthy). My PG/VG ratio is 50/50, 10 to 13mg NIC (all DIY juices). The main advantage I found over the the others was better flavor.

7 Likes

You might be able find some good info in these threads…

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/search?q=Best%20MTL%20tank

5 Likes

Digiflavour Siren 2 is a decent one, which is not priced way too high. Apart from the Berserker Mini mentioned above I enjoy the Siren when out and about :smiley: Its quite airy tho, but when having it on the lower air flow setting, its as tight as I like it for MTL.

5 Likes

thanks everyone!!!

2 Likes

@WhiteRaven I was gifted a VandyVape Beserker and I have not had any issues with it. Flavor is pretty good, haven’t had a single leak, easy to build on, and no more purchased atomizers !!!

5 Likes

My 2 best MTL tanks are the vapefly Galaxies MTL with a squonk pin,and the 3Cvape Savour…both great tanks,

3 Likes

I like my Doggystyle MTL by SXK, my Siren 2 by Digiflavor and one I don’t own yet dut I have test it alot and I want is the Hastur mini by Cthulhu. Hastur is more or less like the doggystyle with maybe better flavor and you can refill it from the top.

3 Likes

I have a few SXK Doggystyles on the way from Fasttech. Looking forward to checking it out in a few weeks, when the slow boat arrives. Presently run Joyetech stuff that uses the CLR coils (love my CLRs), and KFL+V2. Hopefully the Dogs will serve me as well as my present gear has.

4 Likes

I’ve tried Merlin Mini (mtl setup), Ammit, Berserker and Doggystyle. They are all great but if i have to choose only one, i would definitely go for Ammit. Leak-proof, very solid material and design, and lots of airflow options (which you can adjust to your liking because everyone have different preference right?)

5 Likes

d_fabes did you get them?

4 Likes

Could you tip me to what type of wire and AWG you’re using, please? I have a friend who wants to start building coils for MTL, and I’m not finding much love on the searches. Thanks!

3 Likes

I did in fact get them.

I’m really enjoying the performance from the SXK Doggystyle. I’ve had one in the rotation for about a month now. I’m glad I ordered four of them with four spare tanks. At $10 & change each it’s a great deal in my book.

I had to experiment a little, with the coil build, before I found my winning combo. I’m a toodle puffer. My usual build is 1.6 ohms with 30 ga kanthal. 5 wraps at 2.5 ID has been my go to for a few years now. Power is 8.5 to 10.5 watts, depending on the atomizer. I run KFL+V2’s at 9.5 W, the Erlk’s at 8.5 W, and my Joytech CLR tanks at 10.5 W.

My usual go to build wasn’t quite cutting it with the Doggystyle, so I started experimenting a bit. I found my sweet spot using 28 ga kanthal with 2.0 ID (6 wraps). That put me at 1.0 ohm. At 9.5 W it clicked (for me). I use rayon in everything.

It’s working wonderfully. I’m very pleased with it. For a shade over $10, I highly recommend it. Cheap, great flavor, and zero leaks.

4 Likes

Not a mtl person but looking at some wires/charts and such, I’d assume kanthal 24,26 and 28ga. At least that’s my best bet :wink:

3 Likes

It is difficult to find MTL advice since the DTL cloud chasing crowd dominates so much. Many think coil building is a black art. It’s not. For my coils I use standard Kanthal AWG 30 at 2.5mm diameter, 6 wraps, and I get the 1.8 to 2.0 ohms. I’m just a hack, but I’ve experimented with different guages, different wraps, and different diameters to stay below 2.2 ohms. It just does not make that much difference to me.

Wire and cotton are cheap. Just experiment.

6 Likes

That is my sweet spot too! Sometimes I make it with 5 wraps sometimes 7 wraps. 0.8-1.2 ohm. I love that little beast because it has enough space to go with bigger ID like 3.5mm if you desire (not that it need it). Like you say great flavour no leaks, easy to build and compact size.
I like Siren v2 as well but Doggystyle is my first love!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

2 Likes

Have your friend visit Steam Engine and start with Kanthal A1. Just play with the calculator and watch the results as he or she changes the variables. Start at 30ga and pick a target coil resistance, say 1.6 for example and coil ID 2.5 mm. That’s kind of a middle ground for MTL.

Now vary just the wire gauge and watch the results.

30ga 5 wraps
28ga 8 wraps
26ga 13 wraps (where am I going to put them all?)
24ga 20 wraps (we’re going to need a bigger boat)

4 Likes

I’m going to try 7 wraps of 28ga Kanthal the next time I need to rebuild the Doggy. I’ll keep experimenting with it. At least I know I’m the ballpark now. I do think that 2.0mm ID works well. At that diameter, I don’t need to mess with thinning the tails at all. It fits just right.

It’s difficult for me to pick a favorite between the Doggy, KFL+V2, Erlk, or CLR tanks. Each one brings something to the table that I like.

4 Likes

like those wires for the mtl:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/9655888

there are 3 types of that one - 4 - 5 wraps on 2.5 - perfect!

and another one:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/9645628

there are 3 types of that one too.

3 Likes