Best Single-Coil Squonk Atty?

All this chatter about the recurve, I just ordered two. Now off the to the ELR map just in case it turns out bad vape but good lunch.

8 Likes

I can’t disagree with you. However, being the incurable curmudgeon I am, as well as a lover of all things minimalist, I learned to refuse seeking the right coil to make an atty work for me. But you’re exactly right. There are some attys which suck until you get the right coil in it. For myself, if I can’t get good flavor from an atty with single strand round wire, it’s not for me. On the other hand, if it rocks with round wire then specialty wires will only be that much better.

https://i.imgur.com/Ze1q9gM.jpg

11 Likes

You are a god

6 Likes

Ooh, so clean and pretty :heart:

5 Likes

I don’t think a god would bitch and moan about having to build with claptons :wink:
Should just be able to snap the fingers and say let there be flavor!

10 Likes

And a damn good mixer as well.

6 Likes

If you can consider a mesh coil as single, I’m using the wotofo profile w with a 21700 battery and doesn’t drain compared to dual coils. Revenant squonk mod. BTW, great wicking and flavor!

4 Likes

Elder dragon by wotofo epic flavor.

https://www.elementvape.com/wotofo-elder-dragon-22mm-bf-rda?enter=true

10 Likes

Although I just got it a few days ago, the . Blank (Point Blank?) is giving me incredible flavor and more than acceptable clouds. Almost to the point where it’s the only setup I want to use. I’m using a single 21700 squonk mod (asMODus Pumper 21) The Pumper is the first unregulated mod I’ve tried (didn’t know it when I ordered it with the .Blank.) I bought the .Blank because the design makes sense to me: top airflow directed below the coil to prevent leaking or overflow. And so far, it’s worked flawlessly. The Elder Dragon was purchased on the same theory, but it doesn’t work quite as well. In any case, that’s my opinion, and when it goes on sale, I’ll buy at least one more.

5 Likes

Another vote for the Recurve. They just came in today. Thumbs up!

5 Likes

Yes Mate That’s me.:+1:

5 Likes

I have had both the Recurve and Drop Solo for a while and last week I got the Citadel and wanted to give it a chance.

The Recurve just didn’t really do it for me, just too restricted for me and the flavour is only average in my opinion. Very easy to build though.

I use the Drop Solo every day on my Athena (it’s my work toilet vape) and I would say the airflow has much more range to it. The flavour is pretty good. In the work toilet I close it down to only the bottom 2 airflow holes open (still not as restricted as the Recurve almost wide open) and it discrete enough not to cloud up the dunny.

Now, the Citadel was close to $100 more in price and both airflow and flavour are far superior to the other 2, you get what you pay for. But I would still say I prefer dual coil atties, so I think I have an unfair expectation in respect to single coil.

5 Likes

Story of my single-coil hunt for sure. I found rebuildables via my hero, @Pro_Vapes a few years ago. It was the TFV4, original dual coil RTA and it started me down a path which I’ve yet to veer from. If you don’t know PV, check out his posts. He’s the PhD of vaping. But the point is my rebuilding ventures started dual coil, remained such for the past few years, and to this day I still search out the holy grail of single coil attys. But squonking has yet again thrown an element into the mix. Geebus, have I really turned into that much of a vape snob? First beer, then coffee, now gear! Oh well, you like what you like.

Still waiting on Slowtech to deliver my Skyfall clone. High hopes.

7 Likes

Does such a thing exist? :rofl:

I definitely agree regarding @Pro_Vapes followed his posts when I started, plenty to learn. And without sounding like a suck arse I found your recipes early on and always found great inspiration from them.

4 Likes

:blush: Thanks. High praise!

4 Likes

Yeah, every time I’m on FT checking out possible buys, I always keep looking at this one @GalacticResidue. Nearly hit the button on my last order but had spent my allocated $ so let it go. Thanks for the reminder though. It’s already on the “next order” list.

Agree on the Recurve @marsh8. It’s unfortunate as I reckon it looks so damn sexy. Oh well, each to their own. Based on what I’ve read from you on the “other place”, I’ll check out the Drop Solo seeing as you like it :grin: Thanks mate…

7 Likes

But aren’t we lucky there are so many options. :grin: Or does that create other problems. :rofl:

6 Likes

Late to the party i know but will second the Asmodus .blank recommend. I have a few single coil rdas and duals built singly. I am not consistent w/ wattage i vape and vape differently depending on the device iam using. I found the .blank to be a happy medium. For instance the wasp is happier w/ lower watts and gives great flavor but is almost too flavorful and tight while something like a series built Modfather while still tasty is more 2 second gasp of huge clouds. My go to since i received has been the .blank on a desire cut. I dont find it turbulent as some may think and the airflow is plenty that i run the top inlets half open, it has 6 on the top. I do prefer bottom airflow rdas but this one works so well. Its always hard to give recommends since everyone’s style is different but my style is diverse.

7 Likes

Finally got my Skyfall clone. I got the one @benjy337 shared in post#2.

Ok, this is not a review. If it were I think I would reference a couple of YTers reviews. That said, here’s my impressions after 24 hours.

Build# 1 - single strand round wire, SS, 24ga that was 7.5 wraps and 3.5mm ID. This build simply begged for more air flow. I didn’t remove the air flow inserts in order to have a wide open air situation, because I don’t like that zero restriction such large holes would provide. Too hot at the power I found good for vapor production.

Build# 2 - Juggernaut NI80, 4.5 wraps and 3.5mm ID. Build came in at 0.29 ohms. At 60 watts, a decent little cloud and plenty of flavor. But a tad hot for a chain vaper so I’m backed down to 50. Still rather warm but vapor volume is fairly acceptable.

I will be trying other builds to see if I can fall in love with this thing, but at this moment I can’t say I love it. Like, a lot, but not enough to say this topper is staying on my Topside single battery mod.

Pros - super easy to build. I mean I think I could put a coil in this thing blindfolded. Flavor is very nice. Airflow options perhaps are really good for someone who likes to tinker with airy to MTL but I just like airy. Just not zero restriction airy. Machining is excellent on this. One of the things common among reviewers of the $200 original is superb machining. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a super close clone…all of it is well crafted.

Cons - too damn small. I know this could have been made as a 24, 25 or 26mm atty. Would have benefited from the extra size IMO. And that dang 510 drip tip! Why? I hate it. So along with a search for the best build will be a search for a better drip tip. I’ve tried all the ones I have in my little spares drawer and nothing blows my skirt up.

More to come if I can fix my issues with this thing.

5 Likes

I completely understand, Robert

3 Likes