Best vanilla bean ice cream

@jojo, @Amy2 How do you two find the time, How many flavours in total do you think you have tested all up. More then a thousand?

1 Like

No way. My spreadsheet only has 412 flavors listed. Thatā€™s all the flavors Iā€™ve ever owned including ones Iā€™ve tossed, DIYed, etc. Of those, Iā€™ve got notes for 373 single tested. Wowā€¦more than I realized. Iā€™m doing good!! LOL. When I get into a grove Iā€™ll mix up about 20 or so. Usually once a month Iā€™ll mix them, spend the rest of the month testing them once a week. Then, rinse, repeat. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Wow, more than enough info to chew on! Thank you!

I have been using TPA Vanilla Swirl (which I did not know was an ice cream) and it is pretty much TPA VBIC but without the acetyl propionyl.

It looks like LB also has it in theirs, but some Real Flavors have been catching my eye as of late.

3 Likes

Together I bet @JoJo & I have tested more :wink:

Over time you accumulate flavors Iā€™m somewhere around the 740ā€™s now been throwing stuff a way left and right as of lately only stuff that I just donā€™t use and is prob pushing the 18 month time frame.

2 Likes

I was gonna say youā€™ve probably more than doubled what Iā€™ve done. LOL. Ya ainā€™t the Flavor Queen for nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you have any flavor to add to jojoā€™s ( LB ) list ?

1 Like
3 Likes

Itā€™s my go to ice cream flavour! Especially when mixed with Inaweras Shisha vanilla and Flavour West Sweet Cream.
I also find a good sweetener adds to the authenticity of the ice cream taste.
Also works well in most cream or custard mixes as it adds a lovely almost warm thick creamy vanilla taste.

I should add that I usually mix up a big batch of the ice cream and after 4 weeks this is what I use to add my fruits to, Raspberry for example, and leave for a further week to steep, it really helps with a nice developed rounded out taste.

This is an old thread but I have a question about ice cream flavors. Maybe people who work in the development of flavors might know?

So how does a vanilla ice cream differentiate from a vanilla? What ingredient is used to make it ice cream cold, in other words? Iā€™m not referring to cooling agents like menthol.

2 Likes

In what Iā€™ve tried so far, none have any type of cooling effect.
Thatā€™s something you need to add yourself.

I have a few more to try though, so while that could change, I donā€™t expect it to.

Not sure how else to take this.

2 Likes

Then why do they name it ice cream? Why not just use a regular vanilla and add a cooling agent?

3 Likes

I get what your saying but never thought of it that way. The ā€œIceā€ does imply cold but it is really just a Vanilla Cream, just like if you let ice cream melt to room temp it is no longer ice cream.

I guess that is the way they use to market it, who doesnā€™t love some Vanilla ice cream but how many people just drink vanilla cream in real life?

Definitely a question that made me go hmmmm @muth

By the way, you could add WS-23 to add coolness if you really do want a true ice cream vapeā€¦just donā€™t add it to mine please :wink::grin:

6 Likes

To me, the components of an ice cream, like VBIC (TPA) for example, have something that standard vanillaā€™s are lacking. Itā€™s a perceived sensation like ā€˜thicknessā€™ or ā€˜mouthfeelā€™ that sets them apart. I love ice cream recipes but opt out when it comes to ws-23. Although including some probably helps to complete sensation.
Edited to add: Vanilla is considered a spice so in terms of DIY is would be used as an additive.

7 Likes

I donā€™t usually use cooling agents. I just had to understand and you answered for me, thx. I donā€™t need to take the name literally. :wink:

3 Likes

Then I sure would like me some additives :grin: Idk why but I have a jones for vanilla. I want them all and I want them to be the main attraction sometimes but I find it hard to do.

3 Likes

I guess thereā€™s worse things to be jonesā€™ing for. And just an FYIā€¦Bourbon Vanilla (or Vanilla Bourbon) has nothing to do with Bourbon the alcohol.

4 Likes

Thank you my friend. If I only knew you years ago when I didnā€™t know this. Thankfully, Iā€™ve found a good bourbon in Flavorah. Truly a boozy vape :grinning:

3 Likes

If I ever find that someone makes a good scotch flavorā€¦ OooohWEEE! Itā€™ll be on like Donkey Kong! :rofl:

4 Likes

You might try one that @authormichellehughes just submitted.

4 Likes

Ooo, thank you TZ! I will try this. Just one flavor I donā€™t have and thatā€™s Vanilla Custard II (TPA). I wonder if I can sub something? Any ideas? @authormichellehughes this is yours, can I sub VC II (TPA)?

2 Likes