Beware of Scam Using PayPal

Today I had an $79.99 charge on my debit card. I cancelled my debit card and followed the tracks straight to PayPal. Now I’ve cancelled paypal. I do all my online transactions with PayPal when available and a my second checking account when I can’t use PayPal. Luckily I don’t keep much in there.

The Scam

5 Likes

Sorry this happened to you. Look into using Google Wallet and getting their debit card. I just used mine last night for the first time and it was easy. I totaled up my shopping cart, then transferred just enough to cover my purchase. It’s a Mastercard so you can use it practically anywhere.

1 Like

Sorry this happened to you. Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my PayPal and it’s ok.

1 Like

I don’t get it - how was it a paypal scam? It looks like it was it a phone scam?.. I do a lot of paypal transactions, and never had one hiccup…

4 Likes

They are using PP as the scam. I’ve never given out my info over the phone. I believe they scammed some vendor to get my info. I’m just giving a heads up.

1 Like

I had this happening on my ATM card. I live in Indiana. A car wash in Connecticut was charging me a dollar every few weeks. My credit card company was able to return all but $2. I have no idea how they would be able to do that, but they were.

2 Likes

Just read about a Safeway store in N. California that was found with a skimmer installed into one of the Debit/CC payment machines at checkout. IT apparently records your card info from the magnetic strip including the 3 digit card code and access pin that can be used by someone to access your funds as if they had the physical card. I also read that wallets and purses are now being manufactured with RFID blocking material that blocks portable readers from obtaining that info while you walk around.
Convenience and technology has brought about a new level of digital corruption.

3 Likes

I carry one of these as I do some international travel and RFID is a lot more established in Europe than it is here in the US. I really like it too.

4 Likes

I spoke with my banks fraud department. My card was used for an online purchase at a Kroger in New England through a PP account set up to use my Debit. I never give my info over the phone so I’m fairly certain my info was hacked from some vendor or retailer where I’ve used my card. I’m going to start using a reloadable prepaid Visa type card for my retail and vendor type purchases from now on. I think @ken_o_where says he shop online this way.

7 Likes

I generally wait until i have 100$ worth of stuff to order and get a 100$ card then try to use it all at once. Downside is the cards cost like 5$ to activate.

4 Likes

It’ll be worth it for peace of mine and and keeping my bank account secure.

3 Likes

I completely agree and its why i have done it this way for as long as it has been possible.

1 Like

So in other words, the title is a bit misleading - It’s because of stolen CC info, not PP? I’m very comfortable using PP, even though we have less security than you guys do in the states (you can use two-factor authentication etc)…

1 Like

I noticed a lot of the scams were related to PP accounts. To not mention PP in the title is misleading also. Anybody can decide for themselves who the villain is.[quote=“daath, post:13, topic:40874”]
I’m very comfortable using PP
[/quote]
I was comfortable also… before I got hit. I feel more comfortable minimizing exposure to my bank acct.

2 Likes

I had bogus charges show up on paypal last year for the Microsoft store…I contacted PP Fraud unit and they had the incident solved and sorted in 3 days-money returned-no problem.
They really try to stay on top of their game.
You can’t stop all the attacks, and as a Cyber Security professional, i can tell you they get attacked everyday. Change passwords, being vigilant and using the fraud units do help. Credit monitoring is a good peice of mind. I was a victim of the Anthem and OPM hacks this past year, so you do what you can do.

3 Likes

From reading through this it looks like the CC info was stolen and used to setup a PP account using it. This has nothing to do with your own personal PP account, and closing down your PP account won’t make a difference. PP is a bank. Just as secure as the one you use locally.

I am very safe with my CC info, and what my bank told me the last time I got hit is the scammers have a device that mounts to CC slots and the scammer leaves them there for a few days to collect data. They can also read last card used info at gas pumps.

5 Likes

Idk about scams or WTH it was, but right after I setup a PP, I had an email to confirm my PlayStation purchace… purchase was made from Cali, where PP is based so…

3 Likes

That wasn’t Paypal.

4 Likes

Idk…, I just figured they had something to do with it…, I called my bank & told them I didn’t make tht purchase

2 Likes

That happened to me. I was having an emergency. My company vehicle was towed and I needed to be back at work in about an hour. I needed $140 cash to get it out of tow and had to use an ATM at a Stop and Shop supermarket. That ATM was a very busy one and I was in a hurry. Soon after that transaction I spotted several unauthorized debits on my bank statement. I can’t prove it was that ATM but bets are it was because I never use ATMs.

4 Likes