Black Note E-liquid Review

This is a joint venture by @Jimk and me.

Since “naturally extracted tobacco” (aka - N.E.T) vapor liquid has been hitting the ELR threads more and more as of late, it was only a matter of time before a couple of us were going to take the plunge to experience vendor made N.E.T liquids. It only stands to reason, we wanted to actually see and taste what these companies have to offer in the way of naturally extracted tobacco vapor liquids. So, Josephine van Rijn and I decided to take the plunge and experience one such vendor of N.E.T. vapor liquids. That vendor is Black Note Vapor Liquids.

We would like to take a moment to thank Black Note for making this vapor liquid review possible. Black Note provided, free of charge, the vapor liquids which will be in this review.

Josephine will start us off here with a nice write up and her tasting notes included. My tasting notes will be soon to follow!

Take it away Josephine! :wink:

Black Note E-liquid Review

Let me start with a little introduction from the black note website;

OUR STORY
In the 21st century, saxophone has become synonymous with all things cool: jazz, sensuality, richness and complexity. Its creator, Adolphe Sax, an acoustical craftsman endured many hardships, even survived assassination attempts from the instrument-making competitors of his time. A short time after its creation, saxophone had traveled all over the world. Music was irreversibly changed.

The new era of electronic musical instruments and synthesizers has witnessed numerous failed attempts at recreating the richness, complexity, overtones and undertones emitted from a finely crafted saxophone in the hands of a master instrumentalist.

Similarly, the new age of laboratory made artificial e-liquid flavors and synthetic additives has failed to imitate the rich flavor notes of real tobacco leaves, their aromatic subtleties, their harmony, their very essence.

Whether you are seeking to delight your ears or your taste buds, we believe what is natural is invariably superior to anything artificial, that people choose authenticity over imitation.

Patiently crafted and cold extracted in small batches using distinct blends of real tobacco leaves, with no artificial flavors, colors, dyes or chemical additives, Black Note is Naturally Extracted Tobacco Vapor Liquid at its finest.

Praised for its quality, admired for its originality, and credited with changing the face of vaping culture, Black Note is the manifestation of our love for N.E.T. Vapor Liquid making.

End introduction.

This is a marvellous line of real tobacco liquids, perfect for those who would like to quit smoking but like their vape to have a realistic tobacco flavour. I’ve been a smoker for 44 years and love a good tobacco vape. Unfortunately they are very hard to find. Black Note has done it though.

There are 8 different liquids in this line, they come in 30 ml glass bottles with dropper and they cost $29. Not sure which flavour to get, for $58 you can order the notebook which contains all 8 flavours in 7.5 ml glass bottles.

All liquids are 50/50 PG/VG and nicotine is added to customers desired strength. Contrary to most N.E.T liquids, these are very clean and do not gunk up your coils, which is another bonus.

Lets have a description of the 8 flavours as they appear on the website and I will add my own thoughts on it. Although I find it very difficult to add anything to the excellent description from the producers, I will do my best.

Tested on the Freakshow RDA with dual SS coils at 0.12 ohms on the Smok XCube II.

Prelude
Grown in the sandy alluvial plains at the foot of the Italian Alps, Prelude’s Virginia tobacco derives subtle flavors unique to the Verona soils. Once harvested, the leaves are flue-cured to release their natural sugars and resins, resulting in a light, bright taste and aroma.

My note; It has a very nice throat hit, slightly sweet, light but not lacking in body or spice. A very realistic Virginia tobacco which produces a lot of vapor.

Sonata
Originating in the 17th century, Cavendish uses a unique process of cutting and curing designed to bring out the natural sweetness of the tobacco leaf. Sonata uses only fire-cured dark Virginia tobacco, steamed and cured under pressure to allow the rich, robust flavours to fully develop.

My note; A richer, darker, full bodied flavour. Excellent Cavendish tobacco, good throat hit and plenty of vapor.

Adagio
Adagio offers the uniquely sweet, mildly spicy, aromatic flavor of Havana tobacco, complemented by rich, smoky undertones to create a flavor that’s recognized around the globe. Grown for centuries in Cuba’s moist, tropical climate, Havana is regarded as one of the world’s most flavourful tobaccos.

My note; I love Havana, if you expect an in your face cigar flavour, this is not it. I cannot add a lot to the description. It has a subtle but nuanced taste and the smokiness is definitely an added bonus. Throat hit on this one is mild but the flavour and vapor are all there. I could vape this all day long.

Legato
Planted on the sun-drenched slopes of Tuscany, Italian Kentucky tobacco has an American name and an Italian heart. Flue-cured to release the tobacco’s natural resins for a rich-bodied vaping experience, Legato offers a mildly nutty and aromatic flavour with a finish that’s both earthy and smooth.

My note; Wow, full bodied, aromatic Kentucky tobacco. Throat hit is excellent, nice vapor. I cannot add anything than wholeheartedly agree with the vendor. Looking for a real tobacco flavour, this is it.

Forte
Cultivated in the fertile volcanic soils around Naples, our burley is ripened by the warm Italian sun before being shade dried and light-air cured. Offering a subtle, slightly sweet flavour, Forte offers the full-bodied flavour and rich vaping experience typical of burley tobacco.

My note; Sweet, subtle, well rounded Burley tobacco. It is like tasting the sun, very good throat hit and clouds of vapor too. What can I say, I’m going to move to Italy!

Solo
Solo begins with a fine, ultra-smooth Virginia tobacco to provide a rich, flavorful base, then incorporates a layer of natural menthol oils derived through a special extraction process. The result is a refreshing mint flavour without any harsh bite for a bright, cool vaping experience.

My note; If you are into mint than this is it. I’m not, so I cannot really do justice to this flavour. It is indeed cool, refreshing and not harsh or chemical at all. The tobacco only starts to come through when the cotton dries out a bit. As with all the Black Note liquids it produces a lot of vapor.

Cadenza
Sun-cured, highly aromatic and mildly spicy, basma tobacco is considered by some tobacco experts to be the finest aromatic tobacco in the world. Grown exclusively in the mountainous area of Northeastern Greece known as Xanthi, basma has earned a reputation as the “king of tobaccos.”

My note; Another sweet but spicy aroma with a lot of nuances. Throat hit on this one is mild, vapor production is excellent. Personally I like a bit more throat hit but that is different for every individual.

Bravura
Air-cured and naturally fermented, Bravura begins with the smooth, rich undertones of the finest red burley, using a centuries-old process to achieve deep, earthy notes with a subtle hints of fruit. The result is a complex, full-bodied vaping experience reminiscent of the world’s premium tobaccos.

My note; I cannot add anything to the description really, it is spot on. I just love a good perique pipe tobacco blend. It has a good throat hit and a good vapor production.

It has been my pleasure to write this review and tasting these excellent liquids. It was very hard to add anything to the descriptions already given but I’ve tried. My two personal favourites are the Legato and the Bravura, they have a stronger taste to them which I like. As taste is subjective you might well disagree. Find out for yourself and get a notebook from www.blacknote.com, you will not be disappointed.

PS These flavours are just as good vaped in a tank!
Black note also has a very good recycle program. Their 30 ml bottles come in tubes. Send back 5 empty tubes and they will send you a free 30 ml bottle of choice! Just the tubes, you can keep the bottle :grinning:

12 Likes

Very nice! I added some bold to make it easier to read…
They do sound very good! I certainly felt like trying them! :smiley: I look forward to Jimks notes as well!

Fancy box, by the way! :smiley: And awesome idea, recycling the tubes!

6 Likes

Thanks Daath, you’re the bomb, forgot about that! I mean not that you’re the bomb but the bold :grinning:

4 Likes

These products sound very delish. I would need a sample before I spend what they are asking. Maybe if they were concentrates that I could stretch and mix them would make them more affordable. The last vendor juice I bought was $4.00 for 15 mls almost 2 years ago. I wish them luck with their venture… it’s just out of my range.

6 Likes

I hear yah! I was fortunate to get the opportunity to try them out. I might take the plunge if they had a Europe based store. Shipping costs and custom fees from US will double the price :unamused:

3 Likes

They sound really good with a ton of great reviews. I know from my investment into NETs, they are expensive and time consuming to make so the price is probably justified. If I wasn’t making my own liquids I probably would try them. It’s basically comes down to simple math for me… $1 for 1ml of “?” Vendor Juice or $1 for 10-15ml very good diy. It’s like @JimK said, “If I hit the lotto”…

4 Likes

I’ll jump in the thread here with this Black Note Vapor Liquid review @Josephine_van_Rijn. :wink:

No doubt, Black Note Vapor Liquids is a high end, premium NET liquid company that knows how to make a small batch vapor liquid and present it with style and substance. First off, their presentation is phenominal. Beautifully packaged and pleasant literature to educate the avid or casual vaper.

And there is a description of all the enclosed vapor liquids on the back of the notebook, housing the 7.5 ml bottles. The bottles themselves are shrink wrapped, have child proof caps and clearly marked information on the outside label. Black Note offers a nicotine content choice of 0, .6, 12, 18 and 24 mg/ml. The 30ml bottles come in a stylish cardboard tube with a bit of literature included inside the tube. For those individuals vaping Black Note on going, they do offer a recycle program where you send them 5 spent tubes and they send you a free 30ml bottle of liquid of your choosing.

To sum up my intro of Black Note Vapor Liquids, this is the take away:

This is a vapor liquid which is meant to be savored, not slurped. Is it worth the price tag? At basically $1 per ml, I would say, most definitely, for those folks that enjoy the true flavor of natural tobacco. Once you vape this liquid, you will understand why it costs $30 for a 30ml bottle! It’s just stellar liquid. It’s hard for people to justify the cost, however, if you’ve ever experienced making a NET liquid for yourself, you know how much time, effort and patience it takes to get it right.

Black Note Vapor Liquid gets the process not only right, but incomparably so!

6 Likes

Prelude ~ Tasting Notes

Wow! If there was a NET liquid that I would suggest to first time vapers fresh off the stinkies, this would be the one. However, there is nothing stinky about this vapor liquid. It’s all flavor! This was one of the first Black Note liquids I tried, out of the eight different flavors they offer. I was blown away with how subtly sweet, smooth, delicious and true to a tobacco flavor was packed in that bottle of juice. In a couple of words, delicately delicious! The smooth warm Virginia tobacco is tailed by a delightful earthy finish. This liquid could very well get anyone to quit cigarettes and start vaping in a day! Prelude vapor liquid would be well worth the investment to get a friend off the burning leaves and introduce them to what vaping is all about…true pleasure!

6 Likes

Your pictures look great. I bet you have a smartphone :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah… I do have a smartphone, but as you can tell, I either have a 25 watt bulb in every socket or an amber colored shade on every bulb in the house! It’s kinda hard not to make pics come out looking anything but Amber colored!

It’s certainly easy on the eyes in my house anyway! :wink: …no harsh lighting anywhere! :+1:

3 Likes

Mine are usually too dark or too bright. Crappy camera.

3 Likes

Bravura ~ Tasting Notes

This liquid is for true tobacco lovers that seek the complexity of tobaccos, period. This Burley and Perique mix is supremely complex, but quite enjoyable, as you try to nail down the flavors you’re experiencing while you vape this liquid. I noted a very pleasant, sweetish, Vermont maple syrup, while at the same time, savoring the earthy, musty, slightly nutty and fermented, lightly fruity, but smooth peppery finish of a fine Perique tobacco.

When people think of Perique tobacco, they might think of a harsh, biting and cloying experience. None of these words come to mind when vaping Bravura. Is it a bold, full flavored vape? Yes. Is it for folks that have no idea how certain tobaccos are cultivated to taste? Nope.

This is a vapor liquid for tobacco lovers to savor when they are tired of the ordinary eliquid which usually inhabits their tank or dripper. Bravura makes you sit up, think and appreciate what you’re vaping in a most pleasant way! Well done!

3 Likes

This is one of my favourites! I wish I had a big bottle of this. I’m almost afraid to use it for fear of running out :worried:

3 Likes

I usually save some of my favorite NETs for when I’m mixing or having a good clean and fresh coil twist session with my atomizers; limit myself by using my Goblin mini! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I just filled a tank with Solo, the one I like the least and it is starting to grow on me. It reminds me of the menthos sweets with the liquorice hearts that I devoured when I was a kid. I’m sure there is no liquorice in it but the slight sweetness to the juice does give that impression.

2 Likes

It’s incredible how naturally sweet (dextrose) tobacco can be, particularly Virginia tobacco! It all has to do when the leaf is picked from the plant; lightly tinged with yellow at the tip and outer fringes of the leaf. :grinning: Yummy!

I just gave away 15ml of my Legato to a good friend. I told him, he’d be hooked on NET tobacco vape liquid forever in one tanks worth of Black Note! :+1:

2 Likes

He must be a really good friend. Lucky Bastard!

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What, he’s got a backache as well? You should have given him 30ml :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Legato ~ Tasting Notes

This Black Note vapor liquid, so far, is my favorite! I haven’t had real burning tobacco leaves in my hand, mouth and lungs in a long time, but this liquid has the satisfying aroma, mouthfeel and tobacco flavor for which I still yearn. Legato kicks it up a notch in the tobacco arena; some might say “bold, robust and brawny”. Being a Kentucky flue cured blend, there’s a wonderful oak woodiness about this vape. This flavor coupled with a nutty, slightly fruity and velvety touch of Kentucky bourbon, makes this liquid a knockout! Tobacco loving vapers are sure to enjoy the full flavor of this, almost “Marlboro Red” liquid.

Now, with all this full flavor talk, Legato also has a sweet side! The natural sugars in the tobacco lull your taste buds into thinking there has to be some type of sweetener added to this liquid. Nope. Black Note adds nothing to their liquids to make this sweet; it’s nature that does that for free!

The Legato is one of the Black Note liquids I will be putting on my Xmas list to Santa!

3 Likes