Buying a recipe

A vape shop i use to go to had some really good juices. So a few years ago they opted not to pay millions to the fda to keep selling their juice. Found out they are closing for good. I asked about recipes and they said they would sell them for $35 each. The catch is if twenty people want to buy the same flavor they will sell it to all the interested people. Do any of you think its worth buying it if technically you dont own it and others could buy and share it. I said seeing thats the case id give then $5 for a recipe which i think is fair as its possible 50 others could buy it.

8 Likes

$35 seems fair for the recipe if you really enjoyed it. DIY is not popular so I doubt they would sell many recipes

13 Likes

You’re not very clear. This statement leads me to think you wish to profit from it. If this is incorrect then this concern makes no sense to me. If it’s a recipe you know you like then being hesitant to spend $35 on it also makes no sense to me.

16 Likes

I had a similar situation last year but the shop guys were dicks. They were done, closing up shop. I wanted to get one of their recipes. I was prepared to give them a hundred dollar bill. Before I could mention that, they started talking like their recipes where in high demand. “We’ve had offers for $2,000 per recipe but I think we can get more…” They obviously treat everyone like morons but I wasn’t buying that story. Nobody cares about their liquid line except maybe the people who’ve used it. I thought it’d be great for nostalgic purposes. Clearly acting like you’re big timers, is more important than everything else. I just shook my head and left. Assholes.

16 Likes

No i do not wish to profit off it at all. I just think for a small shop literally hole in a wall with only 1 store i cant see paying that much for others to also buy it too

4 Likes

And on another note they sold 30ml bottle for $13 imagine the mark up they had so figuring they would be closing to throw a bone if any amount of people can buy that recipe

5 Likes

Some think highly of themselves and thats the issue that is had

5 Likes

So for less than 3 bottles of buying their liquid (which you’ve already been doing) you can make it for yourself…for as long as the flavors are available!

I’m sorry, but I think they’re already being kind at $35.

13 Likes

I stopped 4 yrs ago cause they where overpriced when they went from $11 to $13 and realizing there where better places to buy from

7 Likes

I doubt they own the recipe. The flavor house they buy from will supply recipes with the line they buy from. Be careful what you buy.

6 Likes

That’s up to you @Psycho_316. You could spend 35.00 on commercial juice quickly, and with the “recipe” you’d be able to recreate it as much as you want with only raw costs. It depends how much you like the recipes.

11 Likes

If you like the store, and they’ve treated you good, nothing wrong with throwing them a bone.

9 Likes

My .02 cents…I wouldn’t pay that much for any juice, or a recipe.
Your offer of $5.00 per recipe is more than fair. Chances are they don’t have any other offers. And it’s very possible the recipe is not original anyway. Ask about the ingredients to make sure there’s nothing obscure and hard to find nowadays.

8 Likes

$35 for a recipe you enjoy will benefit you no? I’d pay the $35 and be done with it, and enjoy it. Hopefully you can get the concentrates they used.

11 Likes

I’d pay $35 just to have a favorite recipe but I think that’s the dumbest idea on the shop’s part. Once you have it aren’t you going to be a decent DIY citizen and share it? When Fivefold Vapors went out of business they posted their four most popular recipes on their FB page. Now those are fine people, if you ask me.

10 Likes

When i first started out 7 years ago they educated me. And i was a loyal customer because of that. But realized how much money i overpaid for everything. Then seeing what the actual costs to make juice i was like i was being robbed :man_shrugging:t2: I found another shop i was getting 100ml for $16 and the stuff was on par. So i stopped buying from them. Honestly i figured they would be good people and release the recipes for free. I just see it as more greed on their part. Milk it for one last dime.

6 Likes

Yeah i can get them they used tfa in all their recipes. Now that i know that it i will just replicate it. So no need to buy it.

6 Likes

Yes that was the plan. The problem is its pointless for them to sell it to 5 people and say 3 share it they just milk the money cow one more time

5 Likes

I wouldn’t judge the transaction by their potential profit. I would judge the transaction by my potential ROI. If I wanted the recipe and could not duplicate it, my ROI would be under 240ml of juice. I don’t see that as problematic whatsoever. In as much as I would not be buying the rights to the recipe I wouldn’t give a rats ass who all bought it.

13 Likes

Owning a small business that is going out of business is not an easy thing. I doubt it’s greed but you know them and I don’t.

It’s all about whether or not you like the recipe. If it’s the shit then $35 ain’t bad if it’s just ok then, nope. Also, @SmilingOgre has the right of it. It’s not about their profit but yours.

:vulcan_salute:

12 Likes