Calculations

I really need help in my calculations is.67equivalent to 67 cc’s and is 24mg strength nicotine add to 1ml in total strength when calculating.

Hi I think we need a little more information. You asked if .67 equals 67 cc which is Mls
Also you had asked is 24 mg Nic in 1 ml

What size batch are you attempting and what is your desired range of nicotine level mg per ml And what Nic your using in pg or vg Then I can help ya.

3 Likes

I’m making 1ml test batches on the calculator and
I’m getting 0.2/ .025/.67 what size syringe do I use
to measure those small amounts.Thanks Amy.

@James19, Sounds like you are mixing by volume vs weight. I’m assuming you have your calculator set for drops rather than grams. So, when you’re mixing small test batches like that, you are going to have to measure by drops. You need to figure out how many drops of liquid are in a ml for whatever dropper type you are using. Eye droppers are ususally somewhere around 20 to 25 drops per ml. If you are dispensing straight from the flavor bottle, those usually measure out to 50 to 60 drops per ml. After this, just look at the center column of the calculator and use those drop calculations to mix your 1 ml test batch.

Hope I’m on the right track here and hope this helps! :wink: I mixed by volume for a long time before I got a scale and mixed by weight…it’s much easier to mix with a scale in grams…less clean up as well!

1 Like

I am a noob as well. But I can tell you mixing in such small volumes is going to leave a lot of room for error unless you follow Amy’s advice. My test batches so far are 5ml. And I noticed right away that trying to use even small 1.5ml syringes won’t be very accurate. If you are going to make such small batches I would recommend using a larger syringe, like 5ml. Pick out a tip to use to count the drops in 5ml for each liquid in the recipe. And always use that tip. Ecig Express has various sizes of tubes and tips. I basically bought a few of each so I knew I had the right one for the job.

I wouldn’t bother adding Nic in if your set on making 1 ml test batches. Personally the smallest test batch I make is a 3 ml.

Smallest syringes available are insulin syringes available at the pharmacy. 31 gauge needle that you should rip off with some pliers and make sure it’s clean then u can pull up flavoring. If you get the standard insulin syringe it’ll be 1 ml with each line being 0.01 there are some that equal 0.02 per line but the packaging should say what the measurement is.

I went back and forth between mixing by weight and volume until I got a better scale. Then once I got the AWS American weight scale

It is way easier ( my old scale was terrible had an auto shut off which You don’t want.)
Anyhow this made me turn to mixing by weight and I haven’t looked back.

1 Like

I personally would not use a 5ml syringe if I was making a 5 ml batch there is no way to accurately measure using this size on a 5ml mix. I would use a insulin syringe for that size batch if I was going to mix by volume.

1 Like

What I meant by using the larger 5ml syringe is to determin the number of drops per ml. The larger the volume you count the drops in the more accurately you can determin the number of drops per ml.

You mentioned using drops to make such a small batch, and I agree. But accuracy is going to be more important because there is little room for error.

1 Like

Apologies for hijacking, but this one http://amzn.com/B00QFCG5ZQ is highly recommended by others and super cheap - but I notice it has an auto shut-off of 60 seconds. Is it really that inconvenient?

Back on topic, speaking as a fellow volume measurer, my smallest syringes are 1 ml graduated to .01 ml marks. But I’m not super confident in the accuracy of mixing any ingredient more accurate than .1 ml. To save hassle I also have 3 ml and 5 ml syringes that are less accurate, but less tedious when measuring 3 - 10 ml amounts of something. Anyway, my point is, to do a tiny test batch you’re going to have to make tiny measurements. If you can’t be that accurate, you might consider making a larger enough batch that you can be confident in your accuracy.

BUT if you haven’t already got a ton of syringes, I would recommend strongly considering measuring by weight instead.

edit: Also, drops are SUPER innacurate. If that doesn’t matter to you, by all means, go by drops, but it’s going to be rough scaling up once you find what you are happy with. I would strongly recommend against it. But that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Yep! Seconded!

1 Like

I don’t feel like your hijacking the thread this is a community and we all learn and share our knowledge so add away !

I agree using the drop method is probably the least accurate way. I like not having to feel the time crunch as far as the auto shut off goes but that really is a personal thing I suppose. Also, I got my scale for around 25$ I am sure there are plenty more that are more popular.

Ah I gotcha about the larger syringe now hee hee I think you can see where I thought you were going with it.
That is why I just use the scale now much easier on smaller percentages.

I was half tanked and wasn’t even sure what I was trying to say lol. I am an engineer, so I hardly ever put what is in my head into any understandable communication whether spoken or written.

1 Like

You can set it so that it doesn’t shut off.

3 Likes