Calling all PG-free mixers!

Hi, Mark, thanks for the response, man! However, that PDO thing threw my understanding of the SC line for a loop, I thought they were just a little alcohol and no other carrier base. So, I emailed RF. Here is their reply:

This is good news, because I have read that some ppl with PG sensitivity are also sensitive to PDO.

4 Likes

That is some great info!, thanks, @Amy2! Iā€™ll be looking into it further when I have some time. Iā€™ve been playing around with the DW, though! Trying out variations of @Maureeenie Vdka/DW/VG base. Itā€™s going ok, so far. Ill be experimenting a lot in the next weeks. Iā€™ll let you know if I strike gold :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow! I apologize, I was aware of the 3% or under alcohol. I truly thought part of our discussion on the Real Flavors (SC) thread @Walt_RealFlavors had mentioned PDO as a carrier. I feel terrible for sharing bad information here. Thank you for posting this :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Iā€™ll dive into this more later, after work! I love this community. You all rock!

Totally ok! I read a thread from last year, @Walt_RealFlavors was trying out the PDO to see what it was all about. That may have caused the confusion.

1 Like

I knew I read this :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Itā€™s neat to watch a company evolve! They must have been using it at some point.

OoO seem to be all PG now. Could there an option I missed? I checked about 6 fruit flavors and all said PG.

check out www.naturesflavors.com for zero PG and zero PDO based flavors. ill navigate for you as the site is confusing. they have some extracts made with vegetable gums and thats a def NO!

try these OR can go to diyvaporsupply.com for smaller test bottles. NF is kinda $$$ but to me they are very good real tasting flavors that hold their own very well.

https://www.naturesflavors.com/215-organic-flavor-extract-without-diacetyl

some of these flavors are super strong whereas some are not. i try not to go over 3% with NF

4 Likes

That is a bounty of awesome flavor! Thanks! I had seen NF mentioned here before, but they fell off my radar. Iā€™ll check the samples out first. I just went through the whole collection on the NF page you linked, though. Lots of options to make some really unique recipes happen, for sure.

2 Likes

@Beaufort_Batches turned me on to NF a while ago. they taste true to me. none of the artificial stuff. they also can be used to amp up one of your main flavors that doesnt have the power you had expected. i made a butterscotch cake with organic butterscotch at 3% because it didnt really appear to have a lot of power at first. after a 2 week steepā€¦boy was i wrong!:astonished: the stuff knocked my socks off and wound up dropping it to 1% where it was plenty. so yes, they are expensive but one doesnt need a lot of it to get the job done. give them a try. wont hurt a thing to try

4 Likes

I trust in BB as well! And since you mention butterscotchā€¦ You might have just as well have tossed kryptonite at me.

sigh Ah well, whatā€™s one more on the listā€¦

4 Likes

its the organic diacetyl free extract. NF did tell me that the only difference between this and the extracts for coffee/tea is that those have a little VG in them to help make the extract stick to the beans better. have you ever noticed how gourmet coffee beans are slick looking and shiny? cool eh? even with that extra knowledge, i still stick to the first one mentioned

2 Likes

And here I always chalked that up to the natural oils coming to the surface from the roasting process!

2 Likes

thats what i thought too until i went to a roastery. the beans are dull out of the cooker. guess you could experiment with the coffee/tea flavor(hazelnut) on a regular roast bean. could mix some flavor with a smidge of VG then pour into your coffee and mix well. hmmmā€¦might have to try this!

1 Like

I remember reading at one point where a few folks were playing with the idea of a NEC (naturally extracted caffeine) processā€¦ No, they were going for a coffee flavor!!

I want to say @BoDarc was one of the ones involvedā€¦ But I could be wrong. Iā€™ve read probably 10-20,000 posts since then, so itā€™s a bit fuzzy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

the guy at the roastery explained how they extract caffeineā€¦but because i wasnt real interested in it at the time i half assed listened. a home brewed coffee flavor eh? doesnt sound too tasty atm

1 Like

You are actually correct @Mark_Turner Walt was quoted saying that a small amount of PDO is in the RF SC. Can someone please find this post, those RF threads are hugeā€¦where is the quote from Walt himself?

1 Like

Lmao I agree both NF butterscotch and NF brown sugar are strong as hell. They are ā€œsleepersā€ as they they tend to increase in intensity as time goes onā€¦

4 Likes

never have i tried nf brown sugarā€¦have enough brown sugar to flavor the wabash river.:smile: however, i might pick up a small bottle of that. thanks for the idea!

i wonder if RF changed the SC formula. in the soda thread, walt furnished a good syrup recipe using RF SC. if it had PDO in it, the final taste would be off like that of PG in soda. guess a company can change anything it wants and never tell usā€¦as long as the original flavor is the same. iā€™ll have to look at the soda thread again. finding that quote you mentioned in that threadā€¦damn, id need another week of vacation

2 Likes